Join our zoo community

South Lakes Wild Animal Park South Lakes discussion thread

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 10 Jan 2015.

1. Farmer

Farmer Well-Known Member

Hetried to do just that.... problem was... the charity he chose.. was one he made

2. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I don't think there's a problem with him being involved in setting up the charity as long as he has no role in its running.

3. Farmer

Farmer Well-Known Member

The inspection team and council as well as the Zoo licence have issues with this, as DG is the trustee to both of his charities, and two of the current management are also trustees of both charities. Though Gill set these charities up he is in fact the main trustee. This can be verified by looking at the charities government site. This charity idea was dropped, but not too sure if they still exist as such.
    I think your intention Shavington, is a completely independent established charity which is I think what was needed but....

4. alfiethetortois

alfiethetortois Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Interesting article in this weeks westmorland gazette in which DG states 'you only have to
    Come and lookup see the animals are having a good life'. It also states the zoo had recently got two snow leopard Cubs - anyone know if they've been born to the breeding pair (kadi and Wolfgang I think) of they've been brought on from elsewhere? No one will be able to see them as the walkway is closed and view from other side very limited

5. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I think someone mentioned the Snow Leopard births recently, but in one of the other Safari/South Lakes threads. It was apparently mentioned on the facebook, but I didn't see it.

6. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

I think I was told that they had passed away,but I could be getting confused with somewhere else!!!

7. littleRedPanda

The pair last year died withing a few months, but I don't know about about recent ones for sure.

8. littleRedPanda

9. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

10. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

"South Lakes Safari Zoo Chief Executive OfficerBrewer described the 'catch 22' position the directors were in when she spoke at the meeting.

She said: “We have made it clear that David doesn’t appear in the future of the zoo but the licence is in his name so everything has to go through him.”"

Perhaps someone other than Gill making announcements and pronouncements on the zoo's future would be a start in changing people's perceptions!

This is classic Gill "toys out of the pram" behaviour with a strong whiff of deja vu about it. I can't be the only one who recalls a similar announcement about moving the zoo nearer the M6 about ten years ago (no doubt related to some council spat of the time).

11. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Ideally David Gill needs to do the right thing for the zoo and move on, leave south lakes in the hands of the new management team, so they can then move forward without him, and apply for their own zoo licence. Only then can they fully concentrate on improving the zoo and re-building the tattered relationship with the council.
    But, in reality, how likely is that going to happen ?

12. Farmer

Farmer Well-Known Member

As "shorts" said, we have definitely heard this before word for word but.... the irony of it is, if he cant get a licence for this zoo how the heck would he ever get a license for any zoo anywhere in this country??? surely this no licence rule will apply anywhere, ? And in no way will he let someone else have this zoo. at ANY COST whatsoever.

13. Farmer

Farmer Well-Known Member

Thinking about it could I please mention to nanook that the zoo inspection team and council do not recognise the management both previous and current and as the reports put it across, the management must also have no part to play in the running of the zoo and cannot get a zoo licence, as mentioned within the inspection reports of late. Thats how im reading it and ive spent some time looking at the reports from a few sides.

14. Farmer

Farmer Well-Known Member

15. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

For the benefit of anyone who does not wish to follow the above link, or who cannot access the link for whatever reason, it details that as of today (25/07/2016) the existing directors of South Lakes have "resigned", with David Gill and Frieda Rivera-Schreiber reappointing themselves as sole directors.

This, it goes without saying, somewhat comes across as an act of defiance.....

16. Farmer

Farmer Well-Known Member

im not too sure on the implications etc but it describes the "resignation" as "terminated" for all four former directors?? Not too sure whats going on, I was under the impression Gill had to have no link or interest?

17. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I believe this is indeed the case; hence my describing this turn of events as something of an act of defiance on his part.... one would almost think he *wants* the place to be closed down rather than risk someone else taking the place over and stealing his glory.

18. bantam

bantam Member

you are probably right TLD, Gills ego is that big he could never voluntarily let go of this place,
    By the way anyone read last weeks westmorland gazzette where Gill has two pages on what a marvelous person he is and single handed sounds like he is on course to save the world

19. Farmer

Farmer Well-Known Member

Bantam.... i read it more like ... D G was going into reporting and writing :) Anyone with just the simplest knowledge of Gills style of writing about his self will know he has all but wrote those two pages himself.... its full of the complements he constantly uses about him, Saddest thing is, its in his style / words.

Last edited: 26 Jul 2016
  20. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Bye bye Zoo Licence.... :rolleyes: