Join our zoo community

South Lakes Wild Animal Park South Lakes discussion thread

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 10 Jan 2015.

1. dublinlion

dublinlion Well-Known Member 10+ year member

What someone might learn about this Zoo, if reading these SL threads.
    1. The owner has made some very dedicated enemies esp. with the Chester Zoo fans.
    2. Ibis have escaped. So wings are obviously working. LT should be pleased.
    3. Adultery among millionaires is spoken off in unhushed tones.
    4. Scurilious tabloid headlines are displayed as proof lol of various crimes?
    5. The owner is portrayed as an arrogant man who will not take the advice of his employees or the 'zoo police'. (sounds like a lot of bosses lol)
    6. He dos'nt take kindly to criticism and bans people that annoy him.
    and so on.
    7. Visitors are offered reduced admission prices in Winter. ( Common enough in Europe but not in UK.)
    So excuse me if I remain unconvinced, although it does appear that he needs to read the Dale Carnegie book..

Last edited: 26 Jan 2015
  2. Animal Friendly

Animal Friendly Well-Known Member

Who are what is LT?

3. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I will reply to point one only. The zoo is not popular with some staff at some other zoos. Liking Chester zoo has nothing to do with anything.

4. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Well may be its because most of the time,when somebody has ago about the place,you jump in saying it cannot be that bad!I suggest you visit the place and then see if you feel the same!

That is my final word as its pointless saying anymore,as we will not agree.Atleast maybe until you have visited the place!

5. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

Much as I sometimes frown about ZSL, I CAN'I let this one pass.

Proper conservation has to be founded on science, and ZSL has done more serious zoological science for longer than anyone. And good conservation requires a repository of literature; go to the ZSL library.

No further comment, except that I too had resolved not to touch any South Lakes thread. This one is now on its SIXTH page, and it's not even February yet!:eek:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Jan 2015
  6. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well if I owned South Lakes I would be as pleased as punch with all this publicity good bad or indifferent I honestly think those that dislike the place or the owner should perhaps stay silent it would give more power to your elbow. all this nonsense actually encourages me to take a visit

7. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

ZSL - serious zoological research since 1826.

South Lakes Zoo - amateur craziness since 1994.

8. bigcat speciali

bigcat speciali Well-Known Member

DALTON ZOO BOSS TO LEARN OF LICENCE FATE TODAY
    North West Evening Mail | News | Dalton zoo boss to learn of licence fate today

THE boss of Dalton zoo has been issued with a warning following a behind-closed-doors meeting to determine his suitability as licence holder.

DALTON ZOO BOSS ISSUED WITH WARNING FOLLOWING LICENCE MEETING
    North West Evening Mail | Home | Dalton zoo boss issued with warning following licence meeting

Dave Gill is a very ego driven person who has no clue about running a zoo. Okay he was given a warning but to satisfy the needs of the laws and regulations that govern such establishments as zoos, then Gill will be given this as a final warning. He is a silly fool and a very dangerous one at that. He will not change and as for his ego and continued bull shine he gives out, may be we could be seeing the last of this numptie as many of us feel that his big mouth and daft behaviour will catch up with him.

9. bigcat speciali

So according to Dave Gill, the day went well at his Council Hearing, and he again opens his big mouth to have a good go at the Council employees. What a numpty. Furthermore, he has posted that he will stand for the Conservative Party at the General Election in May for Dalton North seat. What a big ego and huge pair of nuts this man has. May be if he loses his deposit at the Election in May that his big mouth will drop. Alas though, his knicker flinging hoard of followers continue to worship the man. You know what they say. Give the man enough rope and he will hang himself!

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      File size:
      1.4 MB
      Views:
  10. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

I think he is doing a wonderful job of making his own life as difficult as possible whilst dragging his zoo through the muck with him. Superb!
    Just let him get on with it.
    The only thing he is good at is shooting himself in the foot!!
    His hand is permanently hovering above the self destruct button.

11. bigcat speciali

David S Gill
    1 hr ·
    Disgusted at tonight's BBC News on BBC North West tonight programme. the totally misleading lies have changed my whole view of the BBC ..clearly the new tabloid ... lies , misrepresentation and hype... in fact the way the issue about the zoo was presented was staggeringly wrong ! No more BBC for me !

"South Lakes Wild Animal Park1 hr ·
    BBC North West Tonight put out a report tonight that was extremely misleading and stated untrue facts . This Zoo was never prosecuted for shooting any birds . They have become the new News of the Woirld , We will never trust them to portray fact again. It is sad when even the BBC resort to lies and hype for their news items !"

Dave Gill, seems to enjoy his own voice and wrapping his ego around those of love him. Indeed, it is always someone else's fault according to Gill. Now because he has had his warning, he feels that slagging ofF the council employees and press will get him somewhere. Very childish rant, a bit akin to a teenager going through puberty!

12. bigcat speciali

According to a companies check as of today: "South Lakes Safari Zoo Limited was incorporated on 11 May 1998 and is located in Cumbria. The company's status is listed as "Active" and it currently has one director. Its founding director was Mr David Stanley Gill. South Lakes Safari Zoo Limited does not have any subsidiaries." Which means that when he stated he stood down as "director" then he was once again telling a big porkie pie.

13. dublinlion

dublinlion Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Cripes BSS, is there nothing that you would not be allowed to write. Its not even funny anymore, just a bit disturbing.

14. bigcat speciali

He only did it (announcing he was stepping down) to try get out of the hot water that he's landed himself in, he's too narcissistic to give up the spotlight. As for his very childish rant, a bit akin to a teenager going through puberty comments on Facebook about how everyone else is to blame, then his ego is riding so high that he will come down with a bang.

15. bigcat speciali

So according to Dave Gill regarding the criminal case which he was found guilty of, he is now posting the following on FB trying to say that he is innocent?

"We know that some of you do not like posts about relevant issues facing our zoo but here goes :
    Yesterday in the Licencing Meeting of Barrow in Furness Borough Council the Environmental Health Department Chief, Anne Pearson was questioned by councilors about the role of the Borough Council in the Sacred Ibis issue. She revealed that the Environmental Health Department was fully aware of the birds flying out of the zoo a full 4 WEEKS before anyone informed the zoo. They purposely withheld this information placing a huge risk to the environment by delaying the ability of the zoo to catch the flying birds and resolve the issue easily. This secrecy with the aim of a criminal prosecution, we were told, led to an extra charge being faced in the Court that wouild have been totally avoided and showed a total disrespect of the Wildlife and Countryside Act by having knowledge and still not assisting to end the flights. Barrow Borough Council officers colluded with the Wildlife Crime Unit to allow the birds to fly for many weeks , without care nor consideration for the environment or the risk to the ecology . The day we were told by the Police we were forced to resolve this issue immediately because the Council officers increased the risk greatly by refusing to tell us or assist us to prevent the birds flying in and out. What was revealed in yesterdays meeting was very distressing for the zoo as 13 birds died to end the risk of going wild when if the Council officers had told us as is their obligation and duty to the community the birds would still be alive today. Our staff are extremely concerned at the actions of the Wildlife Crime Unit and the Council Officers in this set up to get a conviction that directly led to and caused the death of 13 birds un necessarily."

16. bigger picture

bigger picture New Member

These threads always bring amusement and controversy however this seemingly unhealthy personal interest is just beginning to get a little freaky!

17. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member 5+ year member

to be honest its boring the tits of me

18. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If there is substance to Mr Gill's claims regarding the behaviour of the Council officials perhaps he should be talking to a solicitor rather than Facebook?

19. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Or may be you find it freaky because you either worked,there and saw that what we are saying,is true or you do work there and have been told to try and get the gospel of Gill,to us just like the blind followers on the park facebook page!!

20. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member 15+ year member

South Lakes Facebook page has reposted a picture of Padang the Sumatran Tiger stating that he is currently 'on holiday' and therefore not on display... the mind boggles! I particularly liked the comment from a member of the public asking where he is and saying that "we are not at play school"!