Join our zoo community

South Lakes Wild Animal Park South Lakes news 2012

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 5 Jan 2012.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

2. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

No wonder with all the free entry but I'm not complaining.:D

3. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

I visited yesterday and had an enjoyable day – on the whole...

South Lakes I find to be a bit of an ‘odd un’ but that is not bad, it is just a bit hap-hazard ie, wooden walkways dripping water on my head!
    Jaguars and Tigers sharing an enclosure (timeshare style of course!). I have seen better rhino houses and enclosures too, but I am sure there are far worse outside the UK I don’t know about. The penguin exhibit looked like it needed a good cleaning too. Yesterday, (5/2/12) I went in the snow, the staff had done a great job clearing ice away and putting salt down to keep everywhere as safe as possible for their visitors. There was three really enjoyable moments for me yesterday at SLWP.

1. Watching one of the pair of Sloths (Choloepus didactylus) actively moving around the enclosure (albeit it in the Primate house!), I have never seen a Sloth move so much, yawning as it went on its way, it was a real eye opener for me. I spent nearly 30 mins watching it crawl across branches and ropes, it threatened to eat something but refused after sniffing the bowl of fruit and veg, although I did see it drink some water. Maybe I was lucky or maybe it is more active than others I have seen, however its partner didn’t move an inch in time I was watching and when I went back to see them again later in the day, both where curled up, one in the same position I presume it had been all day.

2. Tiger feeding and Tiger Conservation talk was very good I thought. The guy who did the talk delivered it very well and the zoo do make a point of highlighting the truth about Tigers in the wild, their food was up a telegraph pole and it was great to see them grab their food (chickens) from the tops of these poles. Good on them for doing their tiger conservation work.

3. ‘Free-Ranging’ Macaws. For me I really enjoyed watching them and listening to them as they fly around the zoo. Not many more majestic sights than watching blue-and-yellow and scarlet macaws fly above your head and then landing in branches very close by.

The only negative for me and I believe they could address this very quickly and it would generate them money, is to get the canteen/restaurant sorted out. We stopped for a ‘half-time’ warm up meal and hot drink, but the food on offer was poor (mainly processed stuff) and worse still was the organisation with the staff and the customers who wanted to buy something, chaos, we just got a hot chocolate and left! (not the only ones who did so). SLWP - Cook some fresh food (its cheaper to do so), get organised and make a lot more profit here.
    I bought a guide book on the way out (I do this as carrying them around is hassle and I never read them until I get home anyway), It seems very informative and for £3.00 you get a lot of info, I let them keep the change from my £10er as entry is free at the moment.

Last edited: 6 Feb 2012
  4. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Pygmy hippo born at South Lakes today (13/02/12)

5. Jordan-Jaguar97

Beat me to it!:)- Fantastic news that they've got them breeding.

6. AlexWJSimpson

AlexWJSimpson New Member

I was just about to post about the Pygmy Hippo birth, but, I've been beaten to it. Best of luck to Quma and the newborn! DAY = MADE :D

7. Jordan-Jaguar97

The Pygmy Hippo calf has been confirmed as a male and named Hari. He will be on-show from Friday onwards.

8. kaytronika

kaytronika Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The zoo has just posted a bit of news on their Facebook account:

9. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Mr Gill sure knows how to be magnanimous in victory and hold out the olive branch doesn't he?:D

10. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yep, enuf said.
    (being Lb meself).

However, I do agree that the Council has been less than cooperative in making the zoo a better place. And I sincerely hope SL WAP will improve and - as per comment and design - will overcome some of the more - let us say well-meaning if peraps ill-thought out multiple species concepts -! :D

11. TARZAN

TARZAN Well-Known Member

Firstly, I would like to say I am pleased at the news of the birth of the male pygmy hippo, excellent news. Secondly, I am also pleased that the zoo now has the appropriate permission to extend and improve this attraction.I understand that the zoo has been in dispute with the local council over this issue for some time, however the fact that is a labour controlled council in my opinion may not be the main reason for this long running dispute, is it not a case of a personality clash between the zoo's director and councilors who have been deliberately obstructive towards someone who is free spirited and who at times is not averse to being outspoken and controversial?.The comment has been made by the zoo that the current recession in this country was caused by the previous Labour government,well that is a matter for debate, I have had the pleasure of visiting this zoo almost from the start in1994, is it not the case that the time when this zoo took off and grew happened under the time of the previous labour government under the leadership of Tony Blair?, was South Lakes complaining then when people had money in their pockets to spend on the likes of South Lakes Zoo?, I also ask how things have improved financially and otherwise since Mr. Cameron took over,a man despite all the troubles in the country at present is hell bent on legalising fox hunting, as someone who has lived in an area of high unemployment and social deprivation all my life I regard as an insult, and just to connect this political statement to the U.K. zoo scene, is it not apparent that working class areas/labour strongholds are areas in this country that do seam to be sparse in major zoological collections, the whole of Scotland has only three, where is the national zoo of Wales?, Merseyside at least has a safari park unlike the North East where the safari park only lasted eight years.The fact that most zoos that are successful in the U.K. are south of Watford could be perhaps linked to the simple fact that to be successful the zoo has to have plenty of people with plenty of money in their pockets coming through the pay box, this is a simple economic fact, I look forward to visiting the improved and expanded South Lakes Zoo in the future, just as I am looking forward to visiting the South Yorkshire park in Doncaster which I visited last year for the first time in another area of the country which cannot be described as affluent.

12. Kifaru Bwana

NAIL on the HEAD, mate! :D

13. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Does this news only relate to Car Parking issues/extensions or does it mean the Park can now extend its total (animal) area too, and by how much?

14. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Rhino swap

Female White Rhino, Nyala (Born June 2008) has left for Dublin today. In return South Lakes have recieved female, Zuki (Born May 2008 at Dublin)

15. Jordan-Jaguar97

Interesting move, so South Lakes now have three available females to breed from (once Zuki matures and Ntombi weans Indianna) wonder if Mazungo or Huubke breed with her, all in all very promising move.

16. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

17. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

18. Jordan-Jaguar97

Yes it is - keepers have taken away other offspring before as there was a problem. It's brilliant news, especially when there has been three born in two of the collections in the UK.:)

Last edited: 4 May 2012
  19. Kifaru Bwana

Babirusa on the up. Anytime is a good time .. :cool:

20. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Good news, this - after a few dry years for babirusa, this one seems (fingers crossed) to be a good one!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.