Join our zoo community

South Lakes Wild Animal Park South Lakes news 2012

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 5 Jan 2012.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No thanks. I shall ignore said rant if it comes....;) as I don't respond to rude or aggressive posters!

2. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

I love the way,that zoochat is slowly creating its very own language,if we are not carefull when we visit a collection we will,be able to spot one another by how we are speaking going round!!!

3. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

0:0:8 Turkey Vulture and 0:0:4 Roseate Spoonbill have arrived in the collection. Once they have completed quarantine they will be housed in the existing Free Flight Aviary

4. Nisha

Annoucement this evening that both the adult Sumatran Tigers, Alisha
    (B2002 at Berlin Tierpark, Morris X Santana) and Padang (B2002 at Dudley, Sarah X Filon) will be moving to other collection/s in the near future to allow South Lakes to re-house there daughter, Kadi in the exsisting tiger enclosure and bring a new male for her. Where Alisha and Padang will go to has yet to be revealed

5. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

Probably a sensible move in the long term. 'Alisha' and 'Padang' have only ever produced one offspring 'Kadi'. I wonder where the new male will come from. I wonder why they only ever produced one offspring.

6. Nisha

From South Lakes's facebook:

"We have lost 2 of our White Storks a few days ago. They are this years young and they are excellent flyers being free flying here since they fledged. It may be that they have simply got the migration urge and gone to Africa. Or just got lost locally. If anyone sees or hears about White Storks in the UK with leg bands on please let us know right away and spread this around the web we would like to get them back for their own welfare. many thanks"

7. Nisha

Just to update: Neither of the above Storks have come back yet... joining them on the list of "South Lakes Most Wanted" now is four White Ibis who have also vanished during the recent bad weather

8. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Anyone want to open a book on what the next escapee will be? :rolleyes:

9. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

Well it can't be another Rhino.....surely :p

10. TeaLovingDave

My money is on a bear ;)

11. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

If I was a gambling man I would give you good odds on a bear. However one thing that won’t be escaping despite the signage is a Common Hippo!.

12. Malayan Tapir

Malayan Tapir Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Giant Otter Pups

From the Zoo's Facebook page:

"We are very excited to announce the birth of Giant Otter pups at the park. Carlos and Tupi have produced after being together for two years. This morning there was the sound of little otters from the nesting box and without a doubt we have our first litter. The Giant Otter is rare in the wild and captivity and breeding them is a very special highlight for us here at South Lakes Wild Animal Park. you will be able to see them for a long while as they will be out of sight for may weeks until they are big enough to enter the outside world."

South Lakes Facebook

13. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

Fantastic news for the park. Well done!

14. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Such exciting news that it destroyed their PR person's command of English and his/her ability to proof read ;)
    But a real achievement of course.

Alan

15. TeaLovingDave

Great news; although depending on how well the Chester brood fare it might not be such good news for a certain Rhino from Java ;)

16. Nisha

Fennec Fox have also had twins to add to the good news

17. chimpman

chimpman Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've never been to South Lakes Wild Animal Park. I am always dubious about places that invent unnecessary fancy names for themselves. I always find it a little more honest to call yourself a zoo.

What's the place like? Who would recommend a visit and who would not and what are the reasons for your point of view?

Chimpman- welcome to Zoochat- if you change your settings so you can receive private messages, I can p.m. you about this.;)

Last edited by a moderator: 1 Oct 2012
  18. Jordan-Jaguar97

Any idea where 'Alisha' and 'Padang' are due to go yet? I believe they were scheduled to leave South Lakes at the end of October but I haven't heard anything yet. Can anybody clarify the situation?:confused:

19. Nisha

Free Winter entry starts again from today (5th November) until 8th Feb

20. Jordan-Jaguar97

I will be visiting South Lakes on the 24th November for free entry. I have had it confirmed to me that 'Padang' and 'Alisha' the Sumatran Tigers have not left and there is not plans for them too move. The elderly Amur Tigeress 'Nina' has moved to the Lion house where the young female Sumatran Tiger 'Kadi' was situated before, the pair have since swapped enclosures.

Has anybody heard anything about the Giant Otter pups yet?:confused: so we know that Chester's pair have two pups, I wonder how many SL have. A certain Rhino from Java will be hoping he might have some luck on his side.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.