Join our zoo community

South Lakes Wild Animal Park South Lakes news thread 2015

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 22 Jan 2015.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A lot better than what they had before. Hopefully their usage of it won't render it bare of vegetation over time.

Are other species still mixed with them, and if so, which?

2. 11jadaway

11jadaway Well-Known Member

I have reason to believe they are mixed with Spider Monkeys.

3. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Capybara and B&W Ruffed Lemur were in there, although there were no gates stopping the other Lemurs entering that section too

4. John2584

John2584 Active Member

Both snow leopard Cubs dead at the zoo, this from Gill's Facebook
    A real disaster yesterday at the zoo. Both these beautiful cubs died i have just been told by e mail. They have absolutely no idea what caused this tragedy to both of them . The results of post mortem hopefully will tell us something as it stands it is a mystery.

5. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Awww, that's such a shame. I finally made the trip up there specifically to see them a couple of weeks ago and was looking forward to making a few more visits to record them growing up.

6. bigcat speciali

bigcat speciali Well-Known Member

@Chlidonias. You deleted my post as you said it is "irrelevant" and yet other posts from FB of late have been allowed. I get the feeling that your actions are personal rather than being fair.

7. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

The posts on this thread originating from Facebook in the last week or two, since Chlidonias asked for content on this thread to be restricted to zoo news, all relate to the zoo itself rather than David Gill.

8. bigcat speciali

bigcat speciali Well-Known Member

Given that the news regarding the deaths of the leopard cubs was on Gill's personal page and not the zoos page, even the staff did not want the news out. Ergo. this was Gill's own comment on not the zoo and not then news as it was not from the zoo. Point made.

9. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sounds very familiar, now only if I could put my finger on where...! :p

On a serious note though, why are you posting stuff from Gill's account that sre clearly nothing to do with SLWAP and are just his status updates? What have you got against him, did he turn you down for a job or something? ;)

10. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

News about the zoo is relevant. Ad hominem attacks are not. If you have a problem with management, you are free to leave.

11. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

your post was a quote from Gill's Facebook which had literally nothing to do with zoo news. It wasn't even relevant enough to move to the discussion thread - because it was not about the zoo in any way. Other Facebook posts on this thread are relevant to zoo news, and those moved to the discussion thread are related to discussion of the zoo but not news-worthy.

I'm not sure what you think you are pointing out here. The snow leopard cubs dying is zoo news.

12. bantam

bantam Member

totally agree that this is zoo news,gill has now removed this item from his facebook page,like most other losses at this zoo it will now be swept under the carpet and not reported on again

13. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The zoo has received a further 1.1 Sumatran Tigers from Zoo Doue La Fontaine in France. They are siblings born in September 2014.. There older sister from a previous litter is already housed at South Lakes (Studbook name Phuket - otherwise known as Mayang)

The park now has 2.3 Tigers..

14. Weare2

Weare2 Well-Known Member

Are they planning on mixing all the tigers?

15. Nisha

Well if they try putting the two males together or the youngest female with the older male (before she's mature) then they might have a shock.... Realistically they can only run them in two groups at the moment

16. Weare2

Weare2 Well-Known Member

Do you think there aim is then to mix all the new ones but not Padang? Seems a bit sad and cruel to have one group locked in at a time.

Any updates on the elephants there meant to be getting?

17. Nisha

18. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Considering one of the charges which David Gill is to be tried for in 2016 is the repeated contravention of improvement notices, if the licencing regulation committee does indeed issue further direction orders they might well just end up added to the list......

19. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Gill`s problems with the council clearly continue to mount. Of course he has long had a poor relationship with the local Barrow Council, but he has to
    realise that they can, and they will, take his zoo licence away, if he is not very very careful.

20. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This has way more to do with the personal (s)kills and egos of both parties than anything else.

Despite all the infringements and general mayhem I would sincerely deplore the zoo licence being taken away ... What would happen to animal collection and the committed zoo staff .... I hate / shudder to think!

BTW: DNC too much about DG though.