Join our zoo community

South Lakes Wild Animal Park South Lakes Safari Zoo News 2021

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Embu, 2 Feb 2021.

1. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

littleRedPanda likes this.
  2. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

The problem with them having this dispute so publicly is that you genuinely can't tell how much they are the victim and how much they're playing the victim to rally support. It doesn't sound great from what they say but none of us know fully what's happening or why. It may be they were breaching their agreement (even if the agreement was thought to be unfair). They now seem to be down-playing David Gill's involvement in the comments, when they were seemingly blaming him for starting it in the post earlier. A Facebook wall is simply not the venue for this dispute.

Helens, ShonenJake13, TNT and 4 others like this.
  3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

While one may wonder whether it is wise to play out a company dispute in the public domain ..., it is another matter to simply conclude that Mr. David Gill and YWP / ZICC are right in terminating the lease or are the golden boys and girls here.

I therefore dispute that is not a matter for the public domain as so many issues are otherwise played out well under the carpet right under our noses but outside the public eye. I seriously wonder what the ZIC / YWP and David Gill is playing at and with as well as the overnight closure and leaving the animal collection in flux and uncared for properly.

Nobody here can claim nor should that Mr. David Gill is clear of conscience and the paragon of justice that he seems to think he is/was. Further, I also do think that those now running in droves from SL seem to ignore what strides the place has made in 2 years without DG and his company at the helm. I do think the local staff and management that put itself in the driving seat when Mr. David Gill left the scene have done something of a good job in those 2 years .....

4. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

I didn't suggest or conclude that at all. My exact point was that we don't know.

And I also didn't say the dispute shouldn't be 'in the public domain', I said a Facebook wall wasn't the place, and it isn't. The zoo's Facebook account is basically chatting directly with potentially upset members of the public and giving them other people's names who are 'to blame'. These off-the-cuff comments from an (understandably) emotional author can then be seen by everyone who views the page. They might well be right, but that doesn't mean that is how they should handle it and it does potentially harm their own case I think.

ShonenJake13, TNT and littleRedPanda like this.
  5. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I really don't know what to think anymore. Nobody is coming out of this looking great really, I don't want to believe that YWP or any of its key people are trying to ruin another zoo or associating with D***d G**l, but it doesn't look good... that said as much as South Lakes have improved in the last few years, isn't the main boss still the person who was largely running it when it hit rock bottom?

I await more news with interest, but I do agree that this is probably more in the public domain than it ought to be.

littleRedPanda likes this.
  6. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Calling it. This is the next Tiger King. I’m going to write a screenplay.

JamesB, Azubaa, Sand Cat and 7 others like this.
  7. Weare2

Weare2 Well-Known Member

From the local paper report apparently two YWP keepers were also on site this morning. The locks have been changed and they had security guards with dogs at the gate.

I don’t see what benefit this all is. David Gill won’t get a licence and YWP won’t get one of David Gill is involved.

8. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Latest update:

"
    Evening everyone
    We are back in control of the zoo and our teams are on site now and will be until every last animal has been checked. Our vet is working with the team to check the welfare of all our charges and we will not go home until that has happened.
    Thank you for all your support, we know many of you that travelled to us today are deeply disappointed to have made such long journeys and to have been turned away - we hope this will not put you off visiting us again. We will be open tomorrow at 10am as Normal."

9. Helens

Helens Active Member

10. Helens

Helens Active Member

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  11. Jambi

Jambi Well-Known Member

I'm surprised to hear that there's still drama going on with South Lakes' ownership. I went there a couple of weeks ago, the first time I've been to a zoo since early 2019, and the first time I've been since they had their big expansion and al of the major improvements. I ended up having a really good time, here are some photos I took:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]