Join our zoo community

South Lakes Wild Animal Park South Lakes to Close to the Public

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Maguari, 17 Dec 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

...from 9th January, according to their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/SouthLakesSafariZoo/posts/1020568377999385

2. taun

taun Well-Known Member

An action that just cements his legion of followers to hate the council....why not just sit down like adults and sort out the issues... :confused:

3. bantam

bantam Member

more hot air from david gill,despite what he says the local council have tried to work with him but he always wants things his own way,this is yet another example of him throwing a tantrum and taking his toys home.attendances this last few weeks have been realy poor and he will use the council as a reason for closing the zoo, bet he is open again for easter.in fact its probably a publicity stunt to attract visitors over the next two weeks before he closes then he will undoubtedly say that due to public demand he has decided to remain open

Last edited: 17 Dec 2015
  4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

There is a little more information available elsewhere on the internet:

South Lakes Safari Zoo to close, say bosses in shock announcement

Of course, having to close all the public walkways with immediate effect is mutually excusive with remaining open until January 9th 2016, so he is still not complying with the council.......

5. bluetoffeezoo

bluetoffeezoo Well-Known Member

our thoughts exactly, just seen a petition to save him and the zoo!!!!! I'll save the zoo.........

6. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Two observations:

1. Why have a muckheap inside an enclosure?

2. Putting wire on boardwalks is standard, basic maintenance.

So why - it appears - would Mr Gill rather have a row with the Council than just do as requested?

7. John2584

John2584 Active Member

This posted an hour ago on the park's Facebook page:

Last edited by a moderator: 18 Dec 2015
  8. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I wonder if the council is going to issue a press release? (A cynical person might add "with what the real story is" at the end of that sentence).

9. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I remain no fan of David Gill's antics, nor do I relate much to his autobio. But having said that he ... (in his defence - let me be the Devil's advocate here ...) does have somethings going for him too.

Aside, SLWAP is not just David Gill. There is a management team and senior curatorial staff on site that do know their business and duties and constraints within which they have to work to fullfill the judicial requirements of operating a zoo on site within the county.

Further, I cannot help but agree that there are more than real elements of truth in what has now been posted on the SLWAP website regarding the Council's relationship with SLWAP. It is a very political agenda on the part of Council and one which is I am sad to say also based around egos that are willing and deem themselves able to drive thru their own version / will / vision over any other. In that, they do not serve the local community at large, nor do they do the local zoo, the animal collection and their staff full justice.

For what it is worth: to me Barrow County Council constitutes one of those renegade lots that are damn well hard trying to change management at SLWAP into their favor while only paying lipservice to improve management and acknowledge there is a zoo on site that has a more than regional importance and value. Whatever their antics ... this wildlife park is an active and accepted member of both EAZA and BIAZA and thus seems to fullfill their minimum criteria in zoo management, animal husbandry and zoo association and judicial requirements. It also does its fair bit to support in situ field conservation activitities (something certainly not all zoos are prone to do).

Effectively, by stepping down from a directorial seat David Gill has already opened the way forward to the current management to do what should be done.

It would be a real baddo if the zoo were to close and in no way does that justice to SLWAP and the fact that BCC cannot and should not mess with that at all.

So for what it is worth, let Barrow County Council do whatever they need to do (by Law and by that only .....) and let the zoo operate (as per the Law and by that only ...), while respecting each other's area of operation and judicial and formal responsibilities and acknowledging both are there to stay and remain.

10. Weare2

Weare2 Well-Known Member

11. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

12. bigcat speciali

bigcat speciali Well-Known Member

Dave Gill posted the following:

13. bigcat speciali

Posted this elsewhere last night however, not many have read it. You will find the the local council have acted fair and given Dave Gill and the safari zoo many chances, it also shows police reports, council comments and then you have two very spurious reports from Dave Gill and his team.

Barrow BC - Licensing Regulatory Committee

here is one part held within the first document report.

14. John2584

John2584 Active Member

Just read this on a comment on an Evening Mail article

So, simply a social media coo by the zoo to rally everyone against the council - I suspect the closure is to move large animals around the zoo, rhino, giraffe etc - as this was always planned for spring 2016

15. bigcat speciali

For those who may not be able to access the documents regarding the council committee meeting, here is another part that may help understand:

16. bigcat speciali

From Dave Gill:

His wife was there and spoke on behalf of Dave and team, he is a director as is his wife.

17. bigcat speciali

Read my post regarding the local council worries regarding ownership and directorship.

Mrs Frieda Rivera-Schreiber
    Director (Open)
    04 Aug 2015 ‐ Present

Mr David Stanley Gill
    Director (Open)
    01 Dec 2015 ‐ Present

Ms Christina Fischer
    Director (Retired), Curator
    24 Aug 2015 ‐ 23 Nov 2015

Ms Alison Penny Wall
    Company Secretary (Retired), Nurse
    11 May 1998 ‐ 03 Aug 2009

Director (Retired)
    11 May 1998 ‐ 11 May 1998

Company Secretary (Retired)
    11 May 1998 ‐ 11 May 1998

https://www.duedil.com/company/03561692/south-lakes-safari-zoo-limited/financials

18. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Can I please remind people that if they are going to copy and paste long statements from elsewhere online, they should place them within a quotation box - both to make it clear what is being quoted and what is original commentary, and to make it easier to read?

I have just spent some time putting the posts from the last 12 hours or so into quotation boxes to this end, and editing certain parts for clarity.

19. bigcat speciali

I make my apology as this is my fault for not using quote boxes

20. bigcat speciali

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.