Join our zoo community

Southam Zoo

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by A. Clews, 17 Sep 2015.

1. A. Clews

A. Clews New Member

Firstly,thank you all for your interest. Secondly, I am very disappointed with some of the reviews/comments below. After reading many such as "Circus Folk" / "Animals kept in Hutches / Small Enclosures" As a member of the Clews family, I would like to shed some light on the history of the Zoo.

The Zoo was formed by my grandparents, originally my Grandparents had a small private collection, this was common in the 60's/70s where tropical/exotic pets were commonly kept and our Zoo was founded. Some of the animals started as young orphaned animals in need of a helping hand in life, being hand reared by my grandparents, we had a baby bear, a monkey etc. They were all so tame, they lived within the house!

As the collection grew, our family wanted to share what we had beyond close friends and family, which is then when the collection became a public zoo.

The animals were loved dearly. All animals were tame; So much so my Gran used to walk in to enclosures with any of the animals, play/hand feed lions, chimps etc. To name a few, we had lion's, chimpanzees, Jaguars, Panthers, Crocodiles, "Pets corner", Reptiles, Water fowl a variety of Monkeys, Birds of Prey and exotic birds...the list goes on.

Sadly my Grandfather passed away at quite a young age, the zoo was carried on for a few years after by my Gran, we had a lot of support from friends and family to keep things just so. However a decision had to be made (one that was not taken lightly) which was to sell the zoo, this included, most of the Grounds and all animals. It was at this point where Southam Zoo belonged to the Jones family. The Jones family did rename the "Zoo" to "Southam Exotic Cats"
    -I am sure you have a nearby pub/shop which has been renamed, yet is called by its first name. It was the same with Southam Zoo (nobody ever really called it by its new name) Nor was the sale of the Zoo greatly advertised. I would also like to add that as the previous owners, we noticed a considerable difference to the animals, and their environment. But as no longer being the owners had no control over the forthcoming years.

Those who do remember the original Southam Zoo, would remember what was a magical place to mention a few;
    -A penguin who was best friends with a leopard
    -Fun chimps tea parties
    -A bull dog called Suzy who mothered many orphaned animals
    -Chimps bathing my sister and I
    -Lions who lived in the house
    -Having cuddles with Lion/Tiger cubs

The days of the real Southam Zoo are long gone.
    -But the memories to those who knew the real Southam Zoo are not forgotten and are regularly shared still within our friends and family.

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I'm curious about why you have re-posted a comment you originally made 9 months ago, and in a new topic?

That said, I am very pleased someone who has insights and memories into a long-closed UK collection is active on Zoochat; do you have any further information and memories you could discuss?

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member