Join our zoo community

Southern black rhino - IRF program

Discussion in 'United States' started by Kifaru Bwana, 2 Sep 2020.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They do not have info on any the locations I am talking about (El Coyote, Fossil Rim et cetera).

For Disney AK I would like to know which individuals: Do they still have their homebred males Badru (was confirmed in a recent news item) and Bomani (unconfirmed). Which female is actually theirs as it is cited they have 2 male and 1 female on site?

2. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That website seems to be a good source but it's definitely not super accurate, missing quite a few holders between the four taxa. One example which popped out to me was the lack of Indian Rhinos listed for Bronx even though they seem to have 5-6 at any given time.

~Thylo

3. gabryatfendor

gabryatfendor Well-Known Member

It's a huge work to keep it updated, so it takes time. I think they are very few in managing it.

4. Kifaru Bwana

Yes, they do some good work ..., but it is a huge task to keep global accurate and up-to-date.

5. ThylacineAlive

I have no doubt it's a lot of work and very hard to keep accurate, however Bronx has had rhinos for decades :p They also listed Bronx's whites, which have been present for less than a decade. I've also noticed quite a few zoos listed which haven't kept their respective species for some time, but have gotten new species which are already on the site.

My comment was not to criticize the hard work of those running the website, however, I was just pointing out that it's not an entirely accurate source.

~Thylo

StoppableSan likes this.
  6. gabryatfendor

It's not a matter of 'decades' of holding some species instead of another, it's a matter of how they compile the data. The only reliable sources - and sometimes they aren't, anyway - are the studbooks, which are often private or not available. I think they are doing a great job, and the website is one of the most updated and available sources on Rhino matters worldwide, besides Rhino Resource Centre. Also, if you noticed all those missing data, you can just tell them. I think they'll be glad for a help. I apologize if I appear polemical, I'm not managing the site directly, but I know a person that does, and it is hard work.

7. gabryatfendor

I wish all the best to Kifaru Bwana to find out what she/he is looking for! :)

8. ThylacineAlive

One of Taronga's rhinos is expected a calf due in 2021 :)

~Thylo

9. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Isn't the Southern Black Rhino larger than the Eastern Black Rhino? I know that the Easterns typically in the wild have a narrower long horn while those in the Southerns are short and thick. Also I read that Black Rhinos can reportedly weigh up to 2 tons. Given all the other weights I 've seen for this species where weights seem to average 2,800 lbs. This 2 ton claim seems highly exaggerated. I really hope that the captive population of Southerns increases and more holders will participate in breeding this subspecies!

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  10. Kifaru Bwana

2 tons for a black rhino is plainly incorrect.

Sarus Crane likes this.
  11. Rayane

Rayane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Wikipedia says 800 to 1400kg, however, bigger specimen have been reported at up to 2896kg.

Sarus Crane likes this.
  12. Kifaru Bwana

I checked lately a rhino keeper site and found confirmation that there are currently 39 southern blacks minor in the program. A good few females are non breeders and this Year should see an evaluation reproductive capacity and probably re alignment of the breeding set up for the southern minor.

Zorro and ThylacineAlive like this.
  13. Kifaru Bwana

The relevant Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Conservationcenters/photos/a.626083500774200/3578170522232135/

QUOTE:
    " In the coming year, C2S2 and its partners plan to complete a North American population assessment of both male and female southern black rhinos of reproductive age. This assessment includes identifying infertile males by collecting and evaluating semen and determining the reproductive health of females through hormone monitoring and ultrasounds. The data collected in this assessment will contribute to the knowledge needed to secure a sustainable and healthy population in human care, with the ultimate goal of reintroduction into the wild."
    UNQOUTE

Mai Thai and Zorro like this.
  14. Kifaru Bwana

DAK does? Which ones?

Plus: the CSC2 site lists 18 facilities in the south central minor program. Guess which ones?

Source: Annual Report 2021

15. Kifaru Bwana

Either Salsa or Mupani.

16. Mai Thai

Mai Thai Well-Known Member

I can confirm that Disney’s Animal Kingdom is still home to 1.0 Badru.

17. BlackRhino

BlackRhino Well-Known Member

Is there any way to find a full document of all the Southern Black Rhinos in the US? Also, does any one know what happened to Limpopo at Fort Worth Zoo?

18. ThylacineAlive

Did you ever make progress on a population size for the US? Is anywhere other than White Oak, Fossil Rim, and El Coyote breeding the species?

~Thylo

Last edited: 24 Jul 2022
  19. Mai Thai

Mai Thai Well-Known Member

Hello! I know I’m not black rhino but I just wanted to let you know that Disney’s Animal Kingdom is also working on breeding the species but have had no success so far. They currently have a male named Badru who was born on November 13, 2000 at DAK and studbook number is #0847. They also have a female who I can find no information on.

Last edited: 24 Jul 2022
  20. IndianRhino

IndianRhino Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that DAK held two males but not 100% sure. Apparently a male named Bomani (Badru's paternal half-brother) was born there in November 2001 (according to worldrhino.com) but there is no further information on his status. Perhaps he is their other black rhino? Nonetheless, I believe the park is planning on phasing out this subspecies because they are recommended to receive an Eastern Black rhino.

Mai Thai and Zoofan15 like this.