Join our zoo community

ZSL London Zoo Southern Tamandua VIDEO

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Danny, 29 Oct 2010.

1. Danny

Danny Member

Southern Tamandua (Tamandua tetradactyla) is a nocturnal/diurnal lesser anteater. She is the only one located in Clore (bio-diverse) Rainforest of ZSL London Zoo. Usually, the public only experience of sightings of her, in this location, is that of her sleeping during the day. But on rare very occasions she can be spotted during zoo opening hours. This film has taken me a few years of waiting, visits and sightings. She is climbing in an area which she is not suppose to be in, high up on the metal grill which protects the windows. She looks perfectly safe and at home in this environment.
    Some people who are not familiar with the environment seem to think she is attempting an escape ... I think she is just exploring and looking up on high for any insects along with finding a new sleeping area in between the large lamp and wall.
    The Emperor Tamarins do not look too please to see her in one of the tree tops during daylight hours. :)
    I hope you enjoy and share the link with friends.

By the way, it's really Tom Cruise in disguise for the next Mission Impossible IV film.

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  2. Paix

Paix Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link Danny! That really is a FANTASTIC video!

3. volvox

volvox Well-Known Member

Thanks, Danny, that's fantastic. I do think she is quite the most beautiful animal in London Zoo. Now I can explain to curious visitors how she gets up behind the lamp... she seems to find an easy access point and then proceed along the grill till she gets there. This is her third or fourth hiding place – the emperor tamarins are inclined to tease her so she's always looking for a bit of peace and quiet.

4. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The male tamandua at the Buffalo Zoo likes to climb in unimaginable places too. There's mesh all around his exhibit so sometimes when he's on the lower level, he'll climb up the mesh to the higher level. He'll also climb the ceiling. I like to call him spiderman with this skills.

Here's a clip of him climbing outside on a branch:It's a sloth! ...No it's not you stupid adults. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

He's quite a bold little guy. The toucans sometime bully him, but when he's walking on a branch and the white faced sakis are in his way he keeps on going. The sakis always are the ones who stop or get out of the way.

But getting back to this tamandua, she's adorable! I hope to see a tamandua one day with the black coloration that looks like they have a sweater on them. That's pretty cool you got to see the sun bittern spreading its wings too.