Join our zoo community

Species formerly kept in Brazil

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Enzo, 2 Feb 2021.

1. David Matos Mendes

David Matos Mendes Well-Known Member

Oh yes. I already suspected that were it's located the Evaristo de Morais Jail and other areas was once part of the zoo. It's a shame that it got smaller, but hopefully the grupo Cataratas plans will be enough to use the available space properly.

2. David Matos Mendes

For curiosity, I got into their site and it's indeed outdated :D:D. Some animals must have been phased out many years ago, and some are named wrongly.
    Do you have any pictures of this taxidermized crowned lemur? I've heard about it, but don't remember seeing any pictures...

3. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

I hope they do so. Also, I have some good news! The hippos have been moved to their new exhibit.

4. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

I have never visited the museum, so sadly not.

David Matos Mendes likes this.
  5. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Then, we have the Old World monkeys, which might be a little bit harder to discuss, but I think we can still manage it. I'll start with the macaques and baboons.

6. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Other than the geladas previously mentioned (kept in Piracicaba and Belo Horizonte), I'd like to point out the southern pig-tailed macaques and Guinea baboons. The macaques have been kept at a fair amount of institutions: the Rio de Janeiro zoo, the now closed Niterói zoo (the macaques were moved to Rio de Janeiro after the zoo's closure, in 2011), the Piracicaba zoo and the Complexo Ambiental Cyro Gevaerd (Balneário Camboriú). The Guinea baboons, however, were probably only kept in Rio de Janeiro and Piracicaba (if they have been kept in the country at all).

7. David Matos Mendes

The baboons kept at Belo Horizonte could be the guinea ones (most likely yellow baboons, but not sure) Check them out in this video you shared some time ago in the minute 6:18

8. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

These could be either chacma, Guinea, olive or yellow baboons. Sadly, I have no idea of their species. I'd recommend asking the zoo's crew about those or posting the video in the Animal and Zoo ID gallery.

9. David Matos Mendes

Yeah, I may ask them next time I have the opportunity. Maybe later this month or march. Maybe I'll send them emails too.

10. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

I think it's time for the Chlorocebus monkeys. I'll start with the green monkeys, which have probably only been kept in Rio de Janeiro, but I believe other zoos, circuses and research facilities have kept those as well.

11. David Matos Mendes

Probably Goiânia too, as we talked about it a few months ago.

12. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

I believe the monkey shown in that 2009 video is not a green one. I think it could be either a mangabey or a langur.

13. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

i found a video from the 2000's which shows a bit of that mysterious monkey. Take a look:

14. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Next, we have guenons. Diana guenons are the first that came to mind. They have been kept in Goiânia and probably at other unknown institutions. Then, there are both the moustached and red-tailed guenon, the former living at the Rio de Janeiro zoo and the latter lived at the Parque Dois Irmãos (the Recife city zoo), where the only individual living there was mistakenly called a patas monkey.

15. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Finally, we have mangabeys. The only species of mangabeys I'm 100% sure that lived in Brazil was the black-crowned one. Two females lived at the Parque Ecológico Isidoro Borbon, in Nova Odessa, until they were moved to the Piracicaba zoo, where they could still be living up to this day. According to the Brasília zoo's website, the institution claims to have a single male individual (once again, he could still be living there).

16. David Matos Mendes

Hmmm this video makes me think even more that it's a green monkey. Not completely sure though.
    Didn't know about it. Many animals are/were unfortunately mistakenly identified in our zoos...
    About this individual, I have to say, for the pictures I took, that I missed one single primate island at Brasilia zoo. It could have been the one he's living in. Look at the scheme I made: there are four islands in the lake shown. I photographed the three circled in green, and have no registers of the upper one (with the red arrow pointing to), probably because I didn't go around the entire lake. There are chances that the zoo still keeps Lophocebus aterrimus in the collection.
    upload_2021-2-16_22-13-46.png

17. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

I want to visit the Brasília zoo this year, so let's see if the mangabey (the zoo's website claims there is only a single male living at the institution) is still there.

Last edited: 18 Feb 2021
  18. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

The last primate I'd like to mention is the lar gibbon. Those have been kept in at Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo and Sorocaba zoos. I believe other institutions as well as some theme parks and research centers kept the species in their past.

19. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Since we've already talked about giraffes in this thread, I'd like to point out that the Rio de Janeiro zoo kept specimens from the Kordofan species, even managing to breed them, with the most famous offspring being Gastão, a male born in the 1970's. You can see Gastão in this video from 1988, two years before his death:

20. David Matos Mendes

I have to say, the humour in this video is SO BAD :D:D typical unfunny political brazilian humour shows from the 80's/90's.
    Talking about what matters now, the video shows nice historical views of the zoo. Is this camel exhibit the present amphiteather near the elephants?
    About "Gastão", I didn't know he was a kordofan. Nice to know. Did he leave any offspring?