Join our zoo community

Species found in one south american zoo

Discussion in 'Central & South America - General' started by toto98, 23 Jun 2013.

1. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Zoológico de Cali in Colombia has at least one Spotted Hyena. She came from a French zoo in January 2015: Log into Facebook | Facebook

2. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Oh, nice.

3. David Matos Mendes

David Matos Mendes Well-Known Member

Well, I think V.R is definitely the only one with vervets, for what I know. Never heard about any other institution around.
    BH keeps a bunch of african/asian duck species, so one of these you said might be part of the collection of the zoo too. I know Sapucaia do Sul has quite a bunch of exotic duck species too, but not sure about these ones.
    Parque das aves keeps blue cranes, if I'm not wrong. I remember seeing cranes there, but I'm not totally sure if they are blue or demoiselle.

4. David Matos Mendes

How long ago have Rio's hyenas died? I never knew they kept hyenas...

5. David Matos Mendes

I'm almost sure secretary birds are not kept in any zoos in Brazil. Not sure about other zoos in the continent though. I've heard something about that the new Rio's bioparque might bring some african big birds to live in the savanna area as well, so this species could be included (I'd particularly like it).

6. carlos55

carlos55 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Buin zoo in Chile has blue crane and European white stork.

David Matos Mendes likes this.
  7. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Thanks. I believe the BH zoo does not have those, once I took pictures of almost all of the animals and spent a lot of time photographing the birds. The cranes at the Parques das Aves are for sure demoiselle ones.

8. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

I don't know, but according to that file I sent on the chat dedicated to the Rio de Janeiro zoo, the last ones arrived in 1988. Also, there were hyenas back in the 1950's, as you can see in the video I also sent on the same chat.

9. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

They are not kept at any Brazilian zoo and most likely not even at any breeding center. I hope the Bioparque brings them to Brazil for the first time in years.

10. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Good to know, thanks.

11. David Matos Mendes

Just took a look at the pics I took at Parque das aves, and saw they are actually demoiselle indeed. Gonna take a look at BH's species list again and see if any of these ducks are in there, but I believe you're right.

12. David Matos Mendes

The São Paulo zoo is probably the only south american zoo that keeps hornbills. Nowadays, it only keeps the abyssinian ground ones (Bucorvus abyssinicus), but kept rhinoceros hornbills (buceros rhinoceros) and the silvery cheecked ones (Bycanistes brevis) until a relatively recent time. It's also probably one of the few institutions in the continent that keeps servals (Leptailurus serval) and caracals (Caracal caracal).

13. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Parque de la Conservación in Medellin, Colombia has a Great Hornbill (Buceros bicornis) as well. Shown in the video below from 25:00 onwards. Edit: I found more information about this individual, he hatched at the zoo in 1995 and his parents were illegally trafficked into the country.

Last edited: 1 Feb 2021
    vogelcommando likes this.
  14. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Both the Itatiba zoo and the Passeio Público (Curitiba) have/had Abyssinian ground hornbills. The Itatiba zoo also has/had both the rhinoceros and the great hornbills. The Sorocaba zoo has/had silvery-cheeked hornbills, just like the Bioparque, in Rio de Janeiro (it is likely they are still there, and will stay at the institution even when its master plan gets completed).

15. David Matos Mendes

For what I've searched, I'm almost sure Itatiba, Sorocaba and Curitiba no longer keep any species of hornbill. These animals seem to be being phased out of the country at all. The only zoo besides São Paulo that might be still keeping them (silvery cheeked, in this case) is Rio, as you said.

16. David Matos Mendes

Didn't know about this one. Probably this zoo is one of the few zoos that still keep this species in the continent, if it's not the only one. São Paulo seems to be the only one with the ground hornbills though.

17. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

I have a picture of the hornbill in Itatiba and there is a video on Youtube where you can see the only individual at the Passeio Público. Interestingly enough, there is/are a/some Hartlaub's turaco there as well.

18. David Matos Mendes

When did you last saw the hornbill in Itatiba? Although these are animals that have a long life, the individuals in the country might have already passed alway, once most of them came many decades ago and rarely bred. That's why I believe these individuals no longer make part of these collections, but I'm not sure. By the way, do you know when was the video of the hornbill at the passeio publico recorded? It would be interesting to watch it and know how much time have passed since then.
    In my opinion, the individuals that are most likely to be still alive in the continent are the abyssinian ground ones at SP, wich I saw in my last visit in october 2020; the silvery-cheeked one(s) you mentioned at Rio and the Buceros bicornis at Medellín that @WhistlingKite24 mentioned.

19. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

I last saw the hornbill back in 2015. I believe the video was from 2019 or 2020, but I wasn't able to find it again. However, I found another one, this time from November 2020, showing the bird mentioned previously:

20. David Matos Mendes

Hmmm, so it seems that hornbills are more spread in the country than I imagined. There are quite considerable chances that Itatiba still keeps them(him) indeed, and the Curitiba's passeio publico is very likely to be still keeping this female that appears in the video, once the footage is really recent (maybe she's offspring from the ones in São Paulo, wich bred a few times). So we probably have four zoos in Brazil that holds the species (São Paulo, Rio, Curitiba and Itatiba) and the Medellin conservation park in Colombia. Surely not kept at only one south american zoo as I initially thought.:)