Join our zoo community

BioParque do Rio Species list for Bioparque do Rio

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Enzo, 21 Mar 2021.

1. David Matos Mendes

David Matos Mendes Well-Known Member

Well, I would say there's a big possibility that the lemurs and meerkats arrive soon, as they are not very hard to transport (at least not as hard as larger animals). I'm unsure about the zebras and impalas, but I think there is a possibility that they indeed reach the zoo before the end of this year. After all, the giraffes, who are much harder to transport than any of those, have arrived.

2. BetoYoung

BetoYoung Well-Known Member

yeah, and do you think they will be able to have rhinos at the zoo?

3. BetoYoung

and as we know the zoo will get white tigers and 2 lionesses but i think they will arrive only in 2022.

4. David Matos Mendes

The rhinos are the ones I'm most doubtful about. I can't see a strategical place for them at the zoo...

5. David Matos Mendes

Yes, I'm quite sure these won't be showing up this year.

6. BetoYoung

one place they could fit it's the african savanna, because they live
    peacefully with other hoofed animals.

David Matos Mendes likes this.
  7. BetoYoung

yeah me too

8. David Matos Mendes

Don't know... In my opinion, that space is not big enough to hold rhinos among giraffes and various hoofstock that will be already kept there.

BetoYoung likes this.
  9. BetoYoung

yeah, like wildebeests and gazelles.

10. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

The zoo still does not have the license to bring in the zebras. That's why they haven't come yet. I'm kind of unsure about the impalas, as there is a female waterbuck already at the zoo. However, I'll hope for the best and wish they move the sambars and blackbuck to an exhibit in the area designed for Asian animals.

11. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Just like David, I'm doubtful if they'll bring rhinos to the zoo. For now, we don't have an appropriate exhibit for them. The African Savanna, though being very big, is not large enough for housing various species of hoofstock at the same time. If they ever maintain rhinos again, I'd say they be held in their former enclosure, which has also housed Bactrian camels, llamas, nyala antelope, and rheas.

Last edited: 15 Nov 2021
    StoppableSan likes this.
  12. David Matos Mendes

Oh, so being aware of this, I'd agree the zebras will take a little more to get to the park... Impalas, in my opinion, wouldn't be their priority, as they already keep waterbucks, as you said.

About the rhinos, I agree the only space that would fit them would be the former exhibit, but I wouldn't acquire such animals if I were the crew. I think there are many other species that would fit better in that space, as it's not so big at all.

13. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

I agree. They could house some sort of deer there, or maybe make a better exhibit for one of their carnivores.

14. David Matos Mendes

Maybe they could even assemble that exhibit with the former hippo house beside it. It would be a considerably large paddock with a big water area. It would be great for many species, such as, as you said, carnivores.

15. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Oh, I had not thought about that before, what a great idea.

16. BetoYoung

hey guys good afternoon, as we know today is simba's birthday, and the bioparque will get new lionesses as i said early, but they might get a new lion as well, i read the news today and i saw that they hope to get 50 maned wolves, i think that's totally unnecessary, why would they bring 50 wolves if they already have 2 females, if i were they, i would bring animals that exist in zoos like san diego, bronx, houston, fort worth and etc.

17. David Matos Mendes

I'm almost sure the communication vehicles confused themselves regarding maned wolves and scarlet ibis (for those who don't know, the brazilian names for these species are lobo-guará and guará, respectively, wich may cause confusions in some people). My bet is on the ibis because receiving 50 of them would come to meet the zoo's very spread conservation program for this species, and it's reintroduction in Guanabara Bay. Also because of previous misconceptions of mentioned communication vehicles regarding both completely different species, I tend to think that might be the case again.

About the arrival of new lions, I'm pretty sure this other male individual is going to be the actual mate of said lioness. Simba is too old, and being without any male lion is probably one of the biggest fears of the BioParque; so my bet is that "Simba" is being exhibited nowadays just so visitors won't be disappointed for going to the zoo and not seeing a lion, while the institution does not receive individuals that are more "aesthetically pleasant". I would guess they are going to house this couple of new lions in the official exhibit, as soon as they receive them, and send elderly "Simba" to the backstage, as they have done to "Gabi" and "Zé Colmeia". This way they will have a (probably) breeding pair for the public to appreciate, and won't have passed a single month since their opening without a lion for the public to view.

Last edited: 20 Dec 2021
    Matheus Carbonero and carlos55 like this.
  18. BetoYoung

that's exactly what i thought

19. BetoYoung

oh i forgot to say another new and i bet you guys will love it, a friend of mine recently visited the bioparque and a zookeeper told him the same thing to david that the baboons will be exposed again but not only this, but also it's officially confirmed that the chimpanzees will return to bioparque and they will get gorillas, and they will make another primate islands. my friend is also andre's friend.

20. David Matos Mendes

Cataratas plans to acquire Belo Horizonte zoo, as you might know. The privatization procedures are running in an unknown status afaik, but if it actually happens, I have no doubt the BioParque will try to transfer some gorillas to their territory. Anyway, the gorillas here in Belo Horizonte are part of EAZA conservation program, and won't go anywhere that has no accreditation to keep the species. If the privatization actually happens, then Cataratas will have the possesion of both BH and Rio zoos, wich might make it easier for them to get the accreditation, but IMO, if BioParque do Rio really plans to keep gorillas, this will take quite a few years ahead to become true...

About the chimps, I tend to think the BioParque's crew will request their individual who's living in Sorocaba zoo, right?

StoppableSan likes this.