Join our zoo community

BioParque do Rio Species list for Bioparque do Rio

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Enzo, 21 Mar 2021.

1. BetoYoung

BetoYoung Well-Known Member

actually the individual belongs to the bioparque, it is there because of the buildings, but they really do will bring gorillas, as i said, a zookeeper told my friend who visited the bioparque, now we just need to wait for this moment happen.

2. David Matos Mendes

David Matos Mendes Well-Known Member

I know they told you, but acquiring gorillas, specially for a zoo that has never kept the species before, is very difficult. It takes years. Afaik, Belo Horizonte negotiated for more than a decade with EAZA to receive some individuals, and as you might know, the zoo already kept a male at this time. If it took so long in this case, where the institution already kept an individual, imagine for one who never kept...

3. BetoYoung

yeah, you're right.

4. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Hello, everyone. I have some updates for our list, but I'll not rewrite it for now. Therefore, let's go!
    - The bald-faced sakis currently at the zoo are Gray's ones (Pithecia irrorata, parauacu-de-gray). Unfortunately, as I was told by a keeper, the ones held at the institution before he joined the crew were already gone (I'm unsure if he meant dead or sent to other places). He also stated some of the park's primates were sent to the Primate Center of Rio de Janeiro, as I was already suspecting.
    - The tarantulas held in Exhibit 31 are Brazilian white-kneed ones (Acanthoscurria geniculata, tarântula-gigante-de-joelhos-brancos).

5. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Hello, once again. I have some other updates for the list. Therefore, let's keep on going!
    - The zoo's golden lion tamarins (Leontopithecus rosalia - mico-leão-dourado) are now sharing Exhibit 1 with solitary tinamous (Tinamus solitarius - macuco).
    - Both the zoo's crab-eating macaques (Macaca fascicularis - macaco-caranguejeiro) and Sumatran orangutans (Pongo abelii - orangotango-de-sumatra) are now off-show. That's because of the works occurring in their exhibit.
    - I might have to remove lowland pacas (Cuniculus paca - paca-da-planície), both yellow-chevroned (Brotogeris chiriri - periquito-de-encontro-amarelo) and peach-fronted parakeets (Eupsittula aurea - periquito-rei), as well as yellow-crowned amazons (Amazona ochrocephala - papagaio-campeiro) and curl-crested jays (Cyanocorax cristalleus - gralha-do-campo) from the list, as I haven't seen them in a while.
    - The Barbary lambs are finally on show. They are being kept along with their parents, in Exhibit 44.
    - I was told by a janitor the zebras (Equus spp. - zebra) had already arrived in Brazil. He did not tell, however, me where did they come from or where they are now.
    - The zoo's domestic goose (Anser domesticus - ganso-doméstico) cannot roam between exhibits in the African Savana. It can only stay inside Exhibit 42.
    Well, that's it for now. See you later on.

arafan, StoppableSan and carlos55 like this.
  6. BetoYoung

both giraffes and zebras are already in brazil, now we just need to wait for the impalas

7. David Matos Mendes

David Matos Mendes Well-Known Member

Great updates. Do you happen to know the status of the quarantine of the giraffes in Portobello?

StoppableSan likes this.
  8. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

I do not, but I guess they're coming next month.

9. BetoYoung

or maybe still this month.