Join our zoo community

Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo Species List?

Discussion in 'United States' started by AlmightyKingPrawn, 6 Aug 2020.

Tags:
  1. AlmightyKingPrawn

AlmightyKingPrawn Well-Known Member

Barring shutdown I'm going next week. I would like an up-to-date species list to help with planning. All other species lists I'm finding are pre-Cat Complex closing.

2. BigNate

BigNate Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Species Lists [Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo]
    This seems to be close to what you're looking for. Only changes I can spot immediately are that there are now the tigers, snow leopards, and Sloth bears in Asian Highlands. Not sure what happen to the other species that are said to be have been in the Cat Complex

3. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This is based on the zoo website:
    Short-beaked echidna

Tammar wallaby

Aardvark, hyrax, African elephant

Aye-aye, greater bush baby, monkeys, gibbons, orang-utan, gorilla

Giant jumping rat, springhaas, naked mole rat, prairie dog

Short-tailed fruit bat

Bobcat. cheetah, ocelot, snow leopard, Amur tiger, lion, meerkat, fossa, sloth bear, California sealion (Autumn 2020), red panda

plains zebra, tapirs, Indian rhino, white rhino

Peccary, pygmy hippo, giraffe, tufted deer, Pere David’s deer, klipspringer, takin, goral, bongo, sable antelope, impala

Ostrich, penguins, spur-winged geese, white-faced whistling duck, flamingos, ducks, swans, storks, Kenya crested Guinea fowl, African pink-backed pelican, white-naped crane, red-fronted and blue-and-yellow macaws, quaker parrot, Harris hawk, hummingbirds

Sea turtles, white-throated monitors, death adders, Cape cobra, inland taipan, rattlesnakes, American alligator, freshwater crocodile

Sharks, koi carp

Butterflies, moths, ants, walking sticks, mantids, roaches, beetles, centipedes, spiders, scorpions

4. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

On my visit (I posted a species list), the only cats in the complex were snow leopards, tigers, and a cougar. The cougar is now behind the scenes at Simmons, I believe.
    I think mine was the most recent full list? So one could also start with that, then go through the news threads and see what changes have been posted.

BigNate and StoppableSan like this.
  5. drill

drill Well-Known Member

What are the hummingbirds?

6. MGolka

MGolka Well-Known Member

The hummingbirds in the Desert Dome haven't been on display for a number of years now. Once they changed Hummingbird Canyon into Rattlesnake Canyon they have kind of phased them out. I believe they were Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds in the last remaining exhibit, along with the Mountain Quail.

The link to the list above is still pretty close to what they have. I visited yesterday and then also last night for Late Night at the Zoo.

A couple additions/changes to the list:
    The Baird's Tapir in the Lied Jungle has been replaced with a third Malayan Tapir. There is signage that says the tapir is currently on holiday in South America. They recently renovated the lower portion of the tapir's South American island so it seems they will try to keep some tapir species here in the future.

In the African Grasslands, in the meerkat/klipspringer kopje exhibit, two Leopard Tortoises have been added. In the giraffe/impala/ostrich/stork savannah, there have been two male Lesser Kudu added.

In Kingdoms of the Night (Currently Closed but visited before shutdown), where the blind cavefish are, a bunch of Lake Titicaca Frogs have been added. Hard to count all of them. Quite of few, also they blend into the rocks pretty well.

There is also an African Crested Porcupine in one of the old Cat Complex exhibits, it is the one closest to Gorilla Valley. I believe this is the porcupine that used to live in the Lied Jungle where the Eurasian Eagle Owl currently resides. Otherwise it was the Indian Crested Porcupine that now supposedly on the white-handed gibbon island in the Lied Jungle, however I have yet to spot that particular porcupine on multiple visits ever since the zoo put a sign there for the species.

7. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

On holiday in South America? What does this mean in the context of animal management/the zoo's plans with both tapir species as a whole?

8. MGolka

MGolka Well-Known Member

I think this is their way of telling the public "Hey, we know Malayan Tapirs aren't from South America, but we have a third tapir and we are using this space for now while we search for a replacement Baird's Tapir or Lowland Tapir."

The third Malayan Tapir is the offspring of the two that are housed together if I remember correctly, but has reached maturity for quite awhile now. Hasn't been on display, but is now since last fall/winter in the South American space.

9. PSO

PSO Well-Known Member

The Bairds they had was quite old.
    Do they still keep hummingbirds in the butterfly dome? I remember seeing them there.

10. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

StoppableSan likes this.
  11. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

To my knowledge there are more than just butterflies in that pavilion. Butterflies are also the headlining species for that particular building.

TinoPup likes this.
  12. PSO

PSO Well-Known Member

I recall tanagers and I believe sunbird in the dome as well. Was actually one of my favorite parts of the zoo.