Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Species obtainment & sustainability

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Cbarnes1987, 18 Nov 2011.

Tags:
  1. Cbarnes1987

Cbarnes1987 Member

I know if chester zoo buffs are needed this is the place to come so...
    despite getting my membership a few weeks ago im too busy with work and uni to get there for the next week of so, yet i need some info for an assessment. i need to know how chester obtains animals as for example ''bad zoo's'' obtain animals by WC despite there being animals on the surplus list and CB's being available. understandable WC are necessary sometimes. However chester on the whole gain animals from other zoo's breeding projects. the problem is i cant find many journals or info on where certain animals originated i.e, born in the zoo or moved from...
    so can anyone tell me where iblis and his 2 girls originated from?
    also a bit of a long shot but does anyone know where i might find some decent info on chesters sustainability plans be it proof of using ele poo as flower fertiliser etc
    thanks chris

Last edited: 18 Nov 2011
  2. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The zoo's current Asiatic Lions are Iblis (male) who was born at Plankendael Wild Animal Park, Belgium in 2007 and Kumari & Kiburi, sisters who were born at Magderburg Zoo, Germany in 2007. They came to Chester from Rotterdam in Sep 2011.

Iblis's father (Chandra) was born at Chester in 1996

3. karoocheetah

karoocheetah Well-Known Member

any info you need about sustainability plans etc should be available on their website so I'd have a trawl around there if I were you Chris. Alternatively you could call the zoo's library which often doubles as an info centre for students, either call in under the mantle of your uni stuff or ring them and have a chat with the librarian?

The studbooks online have lineage details for captive animals and many of Chester's exhibits are in there. If you type studbooks in the search bar at the top of the page there is a thread that contains a link to a site that has oodles of studbooks to read online - short of actually doing your research for you taking time out of my own busy schedule I think that's many the best use of your time for the questions posed.

4. Cbarnes1987

Cbarnes1987 Member

awesome information, thanks alot.

personally im not a fan of talking about the future prospectives, id much prefer to be doing an essay on the history of the zoo... anyway i divert...

thanks again

5. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The zoo's environmental policy should appear on its website (in the About Us section) unfortunately the link doesn't appear to be working at the moment. Likewise the links to the Annual Report for 2010 aren't working either, but there should be more information for you there.

Alan

6. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

Twice today, I heard people tell their children that the animals in the zoo were caught "in Africa" and brought to the zoo so that "we could see them". Clearly the public need to be better educated on captive, sustainable breeding programmes.
    Don't call in without E-mailing the Discovery and Learning team first. The zoo currently doesn't have a librarian so you can't just walk in as is usually the case.