Join our zoo community

Species of Bird of Paradise kept in captivity

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by sebbe67, 7 Oct 2007.

1. sebbe67

sebbe67 Well-Known Member

Hello,

Aim working on making a complete list of all species of Bird of Paradise currently kept in captivity, this group of birds really fascinate me and aim working on a website about them at the moment.

This is what I have snapped up so far:

Glossy-Mantled Manucode Manucodia atra: San Diego Zoo

Crinkle-collared Manucode Munucodia chalybeate: The Rainforest Habitat

Trumpet Manucode Manucodia keraudrenii: Berlin Zoological garden

Stephanie’s Astrapia Astrapia stephaniae: The Rainforest Habitat

Lawe’s Parotia Parotia lawesii: The Rainforest Habitat

Magnificent Riflebird Ptiloris magnificus: Walsrode, Jurong, Khao Kheow Open Zoo, The Rainforest habitat

Paradise Riflebird Ptiloris paradiseus: Taronga Zoo

Superb Bird of Paradise Lophorina superba: Honolulu Zoo, San Diego Wild Animal Park, San Diego Zoo, The Rainforest Habitat

Magnificent Bird of Paradise Cicinnurus magnificus: The Rainforest Habitat, San Diego Zoo, Al Wabra Wildlife Preservation, Honolulu Zoo

Wilson’s Bird of Paradise Cicinnurus respublica: Jurong

King Bird of Paradise Cicinnurus regius: Wolsrode, Zoologischer Garten Wuppertal, Jurong, Khao Kheow Open Zoo, The Rainforest Habitat, Al Wabra Wildlife Preservation (keeping nominate)

Twelve-wired Bird of Paradise Seleucidis melanoleuca: Wolrsrode, Jurong, Bronx Zoo, Khao Kheow Open Zoo, Al Wabra Wildlife Preservation

Lesser Bird of Paradise Paradisaea minor: Fort Worth Zoological Park, San Antonio Zoological Gardens & Aqua, Toledo Zoological Gardens, Walsrode, Jurong, , Khao Kheow Open Zoo, Melaka, Al Wabra Wildlife Preservation (keeping nominate), Everland zoo (South Korea), Bali birdpark, Kuala Lumpur Bird Park

Brown Sicklebill: Bronx Zoo (keept at least 1 in 2002), Papua New Guinea University of Technology

Greater Bird of Paradise Paradisaea apoda: Jurong, Walsrode, Khao Kheow Open Zoo, Al Wabra Wildlife Preservation (keeping nominate and novaguinea)

Raggiana Bird of Paradise Paradisaea raggiana: Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden, Riverbanks Zoo and Garden, Honolulu Zoo, Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo, Miami Metro zoo (augustaevictoriae), Smithsonian National Zoological Park, San Diego Zoo, Woodland Park Zoological Gardens, The Rainforest Habitat Lae, Ueno Zoological Gardens, Myself;)

Red Bird of Paradise Paradisaea rubra: Central Park Zoo, Brookfield Zoo (Chicago Zoological Park), Houston Zoo, San Antonio Zoological Gardens & Aqua, Jurong, Chester Zoo, Al Wabra Wildlife Preservation, Myself;)

Emperor Bird of Paradise Paradisaea guilielmi: The Rainforest Habitat

I know that everything on this list may not be very accurate, some of the above zoos may not keep certain species anylonger, may be out on loan at some place while some zoos may be some more species. Aim mostly intrested info regarding species currently kept in captivity. And info about breeding is also of much intrest to me.

I have also found very little info regarding which subspecies some zoos is keeping, aim mainly thinking of Raggina, Greater, Lesser and Magnificent Riflebird etc.

There is not any recent info regarding which species The Rainforest Habitat on New Guinea still keeps, most info is 4-6 years old but until more update info becomes avaible I will keep these as currently being held in captivity.

Any info of any sort is very, very much welcomed.

Thanks in advance
    sebastian

Last edited: 9 Oct 2007
  2. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member

does the bronx zoo not keep the red bird of paradise anymore, they led the world in breeding this species, great list though.

3. sebbe67

Well thats the question, Chester Zoo in UK got theirs from Bronx, right? If anyone can confirm whatever or not Bronx still keeps Red Bird of Paradise I would be very much appreciate that.

As well as further info about the state of bird of paradise in captivity:p

4. sebbe67

Anyone knows whatever Bronx Zoo still keeps Lesser and Raggina Bird of Paradise?

5. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

there is a page about birds of paradise on my website.

6. Writhedhornbill

Bronx sent their 2.2 red birds of paradise to Central park zoo. One female came back to bronx and then was sent to Chester. She is now the only female in Europe.

Bronx keep the 12 wired and the lesser birds of paradise. In about 2002, they had at least one brown sicklebill.

7. sebbe67

So that does mean that Bronx no longer keeps the Red Bird of Paradise then? So 2.1 in Central Park Zoo and 0.1 in Chester then. I have always thought Chester had more than 1 bird though.

Ohhh wow! A sicklebill, these are increadibly rare in captivity. That could very well be the only one keept in captivity for a long time. You dont know more about it? aim really intrested I knowing more:p

Male or female? from were did they get it? for how long time did they keep it?

I know Black Sicklebill has been kept in captivity at least once.

8. sebbe67

Brown sicklebill has apparently also been kept at Papua New Guinea University of Technology very recently.

9. ZooMania

ZooMania Well-Known Member

Chester have four birds

3 Males and the Female.

10. sebbe67

Thanks Zoomania for clearing it up, I think they needs to get more females, but these are apparently much rarer than males.

11. Writhedhornbill

Two of the males were bred at the zoo, and the older male is the father. The mother died, and that is why the new female was sent from Bronx.

12. sebbe67

Update on Lesser Bird of Paradise: Everland zoo (South Korea), Bali birdpark and Kuala Lumpur Bird Park

13. sebbe67

Aim currently doing some research on Wilsons bird of Paradise, in the early 1990s this species was being kept in at least 3 places in Indonesia solely, Jakarta and Bali for ex but it dont seems like these places longer keeps it. Additional info about were this species has been kept in the past is very much appreacited

So is the Jurong in Singapore the only place currently holding this species in captivity? that would be really sad.

14. Writhedhornbill

Chester had ten species at one point in the 60's!

15. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member

And I believe Jurong has no female Wilsons. Only a pair of males.

16. Writhedhornbill

They had four males at one point according to ISIS.

What is the parks current status with 12 wired BoPs?

17. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member

As far as i know, 12-wired, Lesser, Red and King BoPs are breeding at the park.

As mentioned, there are 2 male Wilson's (last i saw, which was last year), 1 male Greater and 1 male Magnificent Riflebird. Some if not all of these individual birds are possibly birds confiscated from smugglers/illegal owners and handed over to the park by by authorities.

Jurong has stopped updating ISIS i think... a lot of birds in its collection are not listed.

18. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Cologne Zoo no longer keeps lesser birds of paradise

19. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member

Yep sebbe67,

Jurong currently has just 4 lone male birds.
    So, no chance of breeding ever. :eek:

20. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member

All NY Bronx birds were loaned out to NY Central Park. In US both Chicago Brookfield and Houston bred the species this year (both keep 1 pair).

I believe also Jurong still have breeding success with these. :cool: