Join our zoo community

Species on the brink of disappearing from U.K Collections

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by zoogiraffe, 17 May 2008.

1. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

These are the species I think will disappear in the next years:
    Pallas Squirrel - The last of them are at Battersea Park Zoo and in the list of Invasive Species of Concern probably these are the last to be seen in UK.

Short Beaked Echidna - Just 1.0 named Bruce left at Paignton.

James Flamingo - The old Mr James at WWT Slimbridge is still alive but it's the last of its kind in UK.

Red Necked Ostrich - There are just 3.0 or 2.1 from Hannover and Hamburg ,they are the unique in UK probably could be imported to other zoos but currently they are the only ones.

South African Ostrich - Also,just one or two at blackpool and that's it.

American Black Bear - There is some hope with 2.3 at Woburn ( a male is called Chuck and one of the females is called Indiana) with the latest born in 2016,so with the import of some more the population could maintain itself in UK a bit more.

Moon Bears - only a pair called Aroon and Mika at Wingham Wildlife Park that arrived in 2017. If they reproduce we could see them some years ahead.

Sri Lankan Sloth Bear - Just an elderly male called Columbo at ZSL Whipsnade.

LegoOwl and amur leopard like this.
  2. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They have a cub :)

3. Jungle Man

That are incredible news,with some further imports,a group could be established easily in UK.

4. Jungle Man

A species that has disappeared meanwhile we were talking:
    The Tsushima Cat,now it doesn't appear at Camperdown Wildlife Centre website and the only specimen in UK was at there so if somebody can confirm if he's alive,if not UK has lost another specie.

Also,do you know how many sand cats there are at Exmoor?

A specie that wasn't present in British Zoos for some time has arrived and it is a bobcat at hoo farm animal kingdom named Cheyenne.

Last edited: 24 Mar 2020
  5. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think at one other place has them...

6. TNT

They have two males.

7. TNT

There are others around in the UK :)

8. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

South African Ostrich - Also,just one or two at blackpool and that's it.

What type/subspecies are the rest of the ostriches in the country if they aren't Southerns?

Jungle Man likes this.
  9. Jungle Man

They are monotypic ones,with no subspecific status and there are also Red Necked at Paignton.

10. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

I have answered this before - the UK Government does not separate White-nosed Coatis from Ring-tailed. Both are treated the same and both are classed as invasive species. 'Member state' Governments are able to go beyond the EU lists and ours has done so in this case. Even though the UK is now no longer is is still adhering to the EU lists or going beyond them. Of course if the EU implodes as a result of the coronavirus crisis, we will be in a whole new world...

PossumRoach likes this.
  11. qthemusic

qthemusic Well-Known Member

The Malayan Tapir seems to be disappearing, I know a couple of places (UK) still have them, but a few years ago (I'm going back a good 20yrs here) it was all Malayan and hardly any Brazilian, now it seems to be the other way.

12. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

ZTL lists Chester, Edinburgh and Port Lympne as the only UK zoos with Malayan tapirs.

qthemusic likes this.
  13. TNT

Don't forget Belfast :)

14. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

I think your mind is playing tricks on you as ZTL only list 11 former holdings for Malayan Tapir so not that many places,that used to keep them!

15. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Former holding accord to ZTL

16. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I looked into this recently - they still have their male but he’s offshow. He’s for sure one of the oldest in Europe now.

TNT likes this.
  17. Andrew Swales

I think you might need to go back a bit further, and then it is possible they were more evenly matched. Britains toys made a model Malayan so they were clearly at 'the zoo', ie London, in the 60's and had been historically - but I remember seeing a baby Brazilian in a pet-shop window in the 70's, so they were about too... Someone on here will know, I am sure.

18. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Indeed I recall seeing a Malayan tapir on London Zoo's Cotton Terraces in the early 1960s; I also remember seeing the species in the old Deer & Cattle Sheds.

Whilst Britains range of zoo models were obviously based on species held at London Zoo, the fact that the range featured a Malayan tapir in the 1960s doesn't really indicate that they still were in the zoo though; Britains were still selling models of Indian rhinos and hippos in the 1960s long after those species were held at London Zoo.

Onychorhynchus coronatus and TNT like this.
  19. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was given a lot of tiny platypus models for the price of one in the gift shop opposite the Elephant and Rhino Pavilion. It seems they weren't popular purchases and they were not represented as live animals at London Zoo.

20. Andrew Swales

Yes absolutely. They used the old earlier lead moulds to blow the plastic ones when technology allowed. Most of their offerings had a London Zoo link though. A few of the huge range of Elastolin, Hauser and Pfeiffer models produced in masse on the Continent were also modelled on famous individual animals. The Britains Platypus is an odd one for them to chose. We can only assume is was a whim on someones part in the company or the spp featured in the news at the time. Although not popular as Dassie Rat says, the tiny Platypus was short lived in Britains' lists and not made in large numbers. They are quite valuable today too, as presumably many of those bought were subsequently lost.