Join our zoo community

Species requiring more holding space

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by tetrapod, 11 Dec 2015.

1. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Was interested to know more about the information in this quote on the Whipsnade thread:

Finally, ZSL has a responsibility to the wider zoo community. Within Europe, taxa such as Andean Bear, Hartmann's Mountain Zebra and Addax - all animals of conservation importance - need further collections to hold stock.

Do we know of which species currently managed as ESB or EEPs that require more holding space in Europe? Is there a list of recommendations available to the general public/interested zoo nerds? Even a vague list would be nice. The only species that I had previously heard at a TAG meeting that had definitely required extra holders was Rodriguez flying foxes, specifically for bachelor groups. Not sure if this is still the case.

2. Al

Al Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The list is endless tetropod. It would be easier to list the species that there is a waiting list for unfortunately.

3. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

I would say ALL bird species held in the UK large collections require more space.

4. tetrapod

Maybe I should have been a bit more specific. Obviously there is a need to increase the captive holdings of many/most/all? species that have managed captive populations - this goes without saying. My question was referring more to species which have been breeding well in captivity, but possibly not enough zoos have put there hand up to take part in the relevent ESB/EEP. This was how I read the initial comment, ie. that Hartman's zebras, Spec bears and addax have bred well in European zoos, but that they required more zoos to join the programs.

5. Al

Al Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Again tetropod most species are breeding very well and most managed species could do with more holders. Breeding has been controlled in a large number of species as finding appropriate new holders is becoming more and more difficult. That is why TAGs are having to make more and more difficult decisions when developing their regional collection plans so enough space can be allocated to the species most in need of it.

6. tetrapod

Cheers for that, Al.