Join our zoo community

Species saved by conservation

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by tetrapod, 8 Sep 2016.

1. akasha

akasha Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Norfolk Boobook (Ninox novaeseelandiae undulata) got down to a single female in 1986. A male Morepork (Ninox novaeseelandiae novaeseelandiae) was introduced and they successfully bred. The female died in 1996, at the time there were a dozen hybrid birds on the island, and the population is still there. I don't know if that's a win or not, the species is extinct but the genes are still present.
    The Cromwell Chafer Beetle (Prodontria lewisi) is only found in one 81 hectare reserve and would likely be extinct now without this habitat protection.

birdsandbats and Jambo like this.
  2. Daktari JG

Daktari JG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. Carl Jones

Carl Jones Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The species still survives, it is the island race that has been partly lost due to hybridisation with the nominate form. Natural selection will act upon the hybrid population and there will hopefully be selection for those characters best suited to the island. These hybrid owls will be fulfilling the ecological role of the original race. This is a very important case study that shows that sub-specific substitution is a viable alternative to extinction.

4. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I had a bit of a look at all these species. Fortunately their minimum populations don't seem to have fallen below 500 individuals, and a number seem to be heavily bred in captivity. What happens to those bred in captivity, I shudder to think, as I doubt any are being released into the wild.

5. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Two interesting cases of conservation. While the Norfolk Isl owl's genes persist, is this a success through hybridisation? Difficult one.
    New Zealand creating a protected reserve specifically for one beetle spp is impressive. The estimated population is 3000, so too large for this purpose.

akasha likes this.