Join our zoo community

Species that would improve your local zoo

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by whitelion, 3 Mar 2019.

1. whitelion

whitelion Member

What speices do you think would help improve your local zoo i'll start with marwell
    African Lions
    African Elephants
    Weston Lowland Gorillas
    Common Chimpanzees
    Borenan Orangutang
    American Alligator
    Sun Bears
    Brown Bear

2. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Personally, I think a major aquatic update for the zoo is a good idea.

3. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A return of many of the species they've gone out of, would be welcome:
    Pheasant and waterfowl species
    Demoiselle Crane
    Fossa
    Takin
    Black Wildebeest...

Ebirah766 likes this.
  4. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Here is what I would like to see at my home zoo, the NEW Zoo (note that I've only added somewhat realistic animals):

• Wolverine
    • Fisher
    • Coyote
    • American Marten
    • American Mink
    • Fox Squirrel
    • Tree Pangolin
    • Great Horned Owl
    • Dhole

5. Ebirah766

I absolute discurnt phase-outs. I agree that phased-out species should return.

6. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

All phase-outs, unequivocally?

7. Ebirah766

Yes, yes I do.

8. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It would be great for Melbourne zoo, in Australia to have Chimpanzees again. I would, personally love it.

Rarer animals such as Okapi and Sun bear would be great additions too. Common hippo’s are another thing, but I guess Werribee having them, gives Melbourne a little exception.

Ebirah766 likes this.
  9. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Just to avoid unnecessary disagreement, is this sarcasm? It can be quite difficult to judge tone online.

10. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I believe it isn’t sarcasm.;)

Ebirah766 likes this.
  11. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Since I have around 10-15 small to medium-sized zoos/theme parks/aquariums in my area (south-east Queensland, Australia). I don’t really count any zoo in my area as my ‘home zoo’. I often look at them collectively.
    The most obvious choice would be elephants at Australia Zoo, considering they have a wonderful and very lush elephant exhibit currently vacant (they haven’t had elephants in approximately five years). If they did get elephants they would be the only zoo in my area to have elephants (currently the closest zoo with elephants to my location would be Taronga Western Plains Zoo). However, I do acknowledge elephants would be an expensive acquisition for any zoo.
    Also, there are currently no great apes in south-east Queensland zoos. I’m sure they will hopefully make a welcome arrival in the near future. More zoos holding lions would be nice (currently Darling Downs Zoo is the only zoo in Queensland with lions).
    More bird species (especially native passerines), would be very welcome in many of the collections. Several local zoos have very small bird collections.
    Fortunately, many species previously absent in my area have arrived at various zoos in the last couple years (African Wild Dog, Serval, Maned Wolf, Capybara, Mara, Red-rumped Agouti, Ruffed Lemur, Pygmy Hippopotamus etc).

12. RYANCMZ

RYANCMZ New Member

I live about an equal distance from Cleveland and Akron, so for easier purposes I will select Cleveland Metroparks Zoo. The species I would bring back are ones that the zoo used to exhibit that would really round out the collection if exhibited in stellar homes. I would also choose species that are not as common in zoos (both overall and local to the midwest).

- pygmy hippo
    - malayan tapir
    - hamadras baboon
    - aardvarks
    - spotted hyena
    - chimpanzee

BenFoxster and evilmonkey239 like this.
  13. SharkFinatic

SharkFinatic Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'd like to see gorillas or chimps added to the Phoenix Zoo, since their only great apes are orangutans. Since their mandrill and baboon exhibits are next to each other, and neither species are really breeding, perhaps they could be sent to other zoos and their combined exhibit space could make room for an extra ape species.

evilmonkey239 and Gulopithecus like this.
  14. Gulopithecus

Gulopithecus Well-Known Member

My local aquarium, the Wonders of Wildlife, is a fantastic facility that (as far as I know) doesn’t need any major changes or refurbishments, though it would be cool to see a few more species added into the collection. For example, I always thought wobbegongs would be a nice addition to the entry tank (which is well-known for containing a Zebra Shark and Spotted Eagle Rays). Similarly, I wish the aquarium could bring back a few species they don’t have anymore (chiefly Striated Catfish and Green Herons, with the latter once sharing an exhibit with the beavers).

Bisonblake likes this.
  15. Bisonblake

Bisonblake Well-Known Member

At the Detroit Zoo, it would be nice to include more Asian animals
    Snow Leopard
    Sun/sloth bear
    Red-crowned crane
    Pheasants
    The African grasslands could use more ungulates like:
    Kudu
    Springbok
    Thompson’s gazelle
    Nyala
    Guineafowl would also be a nice addition
    Another carnivore or big cat would be nice
    African Wild dog (left a while ago)
    Spotted hyena
    Jackal
    Cheetah
    African leopard
    Australia could use more animals also
    Emu (I don’t know where the moved to)
    Koala
    South America could use a huge overhaul
    Tapir
    Coatimundi
    Jaguar
    North America and everything else is fine

16. Pleistohorse

Pleistohorse Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Alaska Zoo:

Lions, Pzewalski’s Horse, Kulan, Saiga, Wisent, Dhole, Spectacled Bear

Alaska Sealife Center:

Stellar’s Sea Eagle
    Pacific Walrus
    Northern Fur Seal
    Ribbon Seal
    Bearded Seal
    Sea Otter
    Salmon Shark

evilmonkey239 and Gulopithecus like this.
  17. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

For Toronto Zoo, I'd say more antelope species, cassowaries, Tasmanian devils and koalas.

Van Beal, evilmonkey239 and Hipporex like this.
  18. JigerofLemuria

JigerofLemuria Well-Known Member 5+ year member

For Barcelona Zoo, I'd say;
    - Phase out the leopards and jaguar in the favour of small cats (there are chances of lynxes being brought in in the near future, however)
    - Small, nocturnal mammals; with a nocturnal house under the Sahel raised pathway being under development, some African noctunals, like bushbabies, Gambian rats, Egyptian fruit bats, elephant shrews, etc. Could take up this space.
    - Seeing how there are two elderly male spotted hyenas, phase them out in favour of a pair of striped hyenas, more representative of the thematic Sahel area they're pushing.
    - With three species of vulture and two of owl, a couple of species of hawk, eagle, falcon or even something like a secretary bird would be a wonderful addition.
    - There's a single female ostrich in a tiny pen now; I believe that a new, full herd of ostriches would be a good idea, or emus replacing the red kangaroos if not. Ratites deserve better.
    - There are plenty of freshwater waterfowl, and penguins, but not many seabirds in my opinion. So I'd house a younger group of Dalmatian pelicans, along with cormorants, grebes, etc. In the soon vacant dolphin area.
    - Since the passings of the adder and the Montpelier snake, there are absolutely no venomous snakes in the zoo. If they could bring at least one, native or otherwise (an African rainforest viper or rattlesnake would be a real treat), it would make the reptile house feel more complete.
    - I'd like the Madagascar day geckos and Axolotls to be permanently exhibited, and a return of the panther chameleons to the collection would be nice too.
    - The new zoo directive has announced a Marine Biodiversity Center and an Insect House as part of the future permanent collection, and I believe these would be two great assets to the Barcelona Zoo.

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  19. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I would say for the London zoo that they need to bring in smaller yet still charismatic and well-known species to bring in funds to import rarities. I think that if London were to get a charismatic animal (to bring in much more funds for other exhibits) that is seen in almost no zoos worldwide. This could be anything from pangolins to African? manatees on the site of the old aquarium (RIP)

In Montpellier, as ever, African elephants would be ideal and perfectly suited to the conditions of the zoo. Then I guess Perisan leopards and perhaps even Greater one-horned rhinos if we're lucky. In Paris, I would say that the next important development would be an Asian area, probably focusing on Indonesia, so a large rainforest hall. Otherwise, we could also have an Asian plains exhibit or maybe a Siberian-themed area with leopards, tigers etc.
    Could also expand Madagascar with more species of lemur, a few more terraria with gecko species etc, and perhaps a small reef-themed area focusing on Indian Ocean marine life.

Finally, Thoiry could simply do with an area themed around a certain geographical area. I would pick South America given that they already have North American and African areas in the safari drive through.

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  20. Luca Bronzi

Luca Bronzi Well-Known Member

Rhinos instead of elephants (Zoo di Napoli)

JigerofLemuria and savetherhino like this.