Join our zoo community

Species we have lost over the last quarter of a century

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by TeaLovingDave, 12 May 2015.

1. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Further assorted passerines....

Flowerpecker taxa lost since 1990

Orange-bellied Flowerpecker (Dicaeum trigonostigma) - last held in 2005 at Plzen. There are no images of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery.

White-eye taxa lost since 1990

Javan Grey-throated White-eye (Lophozosterops javanicus) - last held in 2011 at Plzen. There are no images of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery.

Mountain White-eye (Zosterops montanus) - last held in 2006 at Veldhoven NOP. There are no images of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery.

Sugarbird taxa lost since 1990

Cape Sugarbird (Promerops cafer) - last held in 1998 at Frankfurt. The only image of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery is of a wild individual in Africa.

Honeyeater taxa lost since 1990

Papuan Friarbird (Philemon novaeguineae) - last held in 1993 at Harewood. There are no images of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery.

Oriole taxa lost since 1990

African Golden Oriole (Oriolus auratus) - last held in 2012 at Augsburg. There are a few images of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery, including the following photograph taken at Vienna Haus des Meeres in 2010:

[​IMG]

Eastern Black-headed Oriole (Oriolus larvatus) - last held in 1991 at Bristol. The only images of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery are of wild individuals in Africa.

Dark-throated Oriole (Oriolus xanthonotus) - last held in c.2011 at Walsrode. There is a single image of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery, taken in 2010 at said collection:

[​IMG]

Black-hooded Oriole (Oriolus xanthornus) - last held in 2015 at Walsrode. There are no images of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery.

Shrike taxa lost since 1990

Northern Shrike (Lanius excubitor) - last held in 2007 at Zoo Ohrada, one of several collections to hold this taxon within the timespan in question. The only image of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery is of a wild individual in the United Kingdom.

Long-tailed Shrike (Lanius schach) - last held in 1996 at Zoo Berlin. The only images of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery are of wild individuals in Africa.

Woodchat Shrike (Lanius senator) - last held in 2009 at Barcelona. The only images of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery are of wild individuals in Africa and Europe.

Bush-shrike taxa lost since 1990

Orange-breasted Bush-shrike (Chlorophoneus sulfureopectus) - last held in the late 1990s at Metelen. There are no images of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery.

Crimson-breasted Gonolek (Laniarius atrococcineus) - last held in 1990 at Walsrode. There are no images of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery.

Black-headed Gonolek (Laniarius erythrogaster) - last held in 1990 at Walsrode. The only images of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery are of captive individuals in Asia and wild individuals in Africa.

Southern Boubou (Laniarius ferrugineus) - last held in 2008 at Leeds Castle, one of several collections to hold the taxon within the timespan in question. There are no images of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery.

Grey-headed Bushshrike (Malaconotus blanchoti) - last held in 2011 at Pairi Daiza. There are no images of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery.

Black-crowned Tchagra (Tchagra senegalus) - last held in 1995 at Munster Allwetterzoo. There are no images of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery.

Bokmakierie Shrike (Telophorus zeylonus) - last held in 1992 at Frankfurt. There are no images of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery.

Helmet-shrike taxa lost since 1990

Southern White-crowned Shrike (Eurocephalus anguitimens) - last held in 2012 at Wilhelma. The only image of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery is a photograph of a wild individual in Africa.

White-crested Helmet-shrike (Prionops plumatus) - last held in 2012 at Tierpark Hagenbeck. There are no images of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery.

Last edited: 17 Jul 2017
  2. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

3. Maguari

4. TeaLovingDave

5. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

6. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

Here is another gap filled with a wild bird:
    http://www.zoochat.com/278/purple-sunbird-452511/

7. TeaLovingDave

Cheeky bastard :p it would seem the reason I didn't find that photograph is that searching for the words "helmet" and "shrike" does not return results for "helmetshrike" - although it does for "helmet-shrike".

8. Tomek

Tomek Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Because it was kept in a large tropical hall (Tropen Aquarium Hagenbeck), where some species difficult to see. You were able to see there's some sunbirds?

9. TeaLovingDave

Indeed - I saw one of the three species of sunbird supposedly present within the Tropenaquarium when I visited at the start of June; I am not 100% certain but I think it was the Amethyst Sunbird.

However, given the fact that even the above-mentioned Helmet-Shrike is still signposted despite no longer being present, I imagine it is likely that at least one of the sunbird taxa will no longer be held.

10. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Just up-loaded a picture of a 'missing " species, the Orange-bellied flowerpecker, taken at around 1988 when I took care for a pair of this species at Vogelpark Walsrode :

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Jul 2016
  11. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

My latest scans in the Gallery include 3 which are relevant to this thread. Falkland flightless steamer ducks at Martin Mere 1974, yellow-faced parrotlets at Chester 1986 and a Thailand brow-antlered deer at Vincennes 1978 (which is not great quality, but may be of interest).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plus 3 more old shots from Tierpark Hellabrunn, Chester & Jersey.

Alan

12. gentle lemur

My latest scans of my old slides posted in the Gallery include a Cape hartebeest at Amsterdam (I think only one individual is left in Europe, although there are several photos in the Gallery) and a Knysna dwarf chameleon at Regent's Park - I remember reading about this species under its old name (Microsaura pumila) when I was a lad, but I have only seen and photographed it once; although I am sure that several private keepers hold them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have also posted several photos in the Off Topic Gallery of two species which I have never seen in a zoo, but which were kept as pets by friends when I lived in Ghana 40 years ago. They are the white-bellied pangolin (or tree pangolin) and Demidoff's galago. I would love to see them again at a good zoo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alan

13. gentle lemur

I have just posted my last batch of scans for a while. Geoffroy's tamarin at Bristol 1983 and Bocourt's black squirrel at Morecambe Winged World 1973 are the highlights.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also some species which are still around in Europe, but no longer on show in the UK, a combassou (Chester 1973), Dall sheep (Regent's Park 1977), dama wallaby (Chester 1983) and green vine snake (Twycross 1973).

Alan

14. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I saw something labelled as Vine Snake (Aheatulla Nasuta) at Newquay last week. Beautiful thing it was, too*.

When I google the scientific name it comes back as "Green Vine Snake" but zootierliste show's a different scientific name. Can anyone shed a light on this taxonomic conundrum?

*My English teacher would die.

15. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

the one called Green Vine Snake on Zootierliste is Oxybelis fulgidus which is neotropical (Central and South American).

The "other" Green Vine Snake is Ahaetulla with several species from tropical Asia. Zootierliste calls these Whip Snakes (e.g. Oriental Whip Snake A. prasina).

Last edited: 21 Jul 2016
  16. Maguari

Quite reasonably so, given that stray apostrophe...

17. gentle lemur

I was confused too, having seen and photographed the Newquay snakes after pulling out my old slide for scanning as I had not identified the species when I took that photo. I managed to sort things out with the help Google and Zootierliste. Ahaetulla species have horizontal pupils and are Asiatic. Oxybelis have round pupils and are American.

"Beautiful thing it was, too" sounds fine, if spoken aloud in a comedy Welsh accent ;)

Alan

18. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Oh dear, I really don't know how that got there. :eek:

Where's the regimental revolver? Walks off into distance........Bang!

19. gentle lemur

I have just posted some of my latest scans - four 'good old good ones' as Louis Armstrong used to say. I think that the best photo is of the pair of little black bustards at Paignton in 1983.

[​IMG]

The Nduk eagle owl at Regent's Park in 1976.

[​IMG]

And two from the original Birdland in 1973; the photos are not as good technically, as they were taken inside two of the tropical houses, but the birds were lovely, a toucan barbet and an African paradise flycatcher (a particular favourite of mine).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy!

Alan

Last edited by a moderator: 17 Jul 2017
  20. gentle lemur

I posted a 'bumper bundle' yesterday. I hope that waiting 24 hours before posting here will prevent the thumbnails from vanishing again.

Species mentioned before in this thread, chestnut-backed mousebirds and spotted little owl at Paignton 1983.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blue-headed rock thrush and splendid fairy wren at Regent's Park 1972 & 1979

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plus Narina's trogons (Birdland), laughing falcon & Chinese serpent eagle (Regent's Park) and white-necked Picathartes (Rotterdam) from more than 25 years ago. Enjoy!

Alan

There are still more to come ;)

Last edited by a moderator: 17 Jul 2017