Join our zoo community

Species we have lost over the last quarter of a century

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by TeaLovingDave, 12 May 2015.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I think he is posting them as he finds them (note the times) rather than just one after the other, so it isn't spamming. Perhaps he is just trying to encourage TLD to update the thread ;)

SealPup likes this.
  2. drill

drill Well-Known Member

four eyed opposums are kept at Moscow

American mourning dove kept at vogelpark eslarn in Germany

the weltvogelpark holds black chinned fruit dove

Port Lympne stills has those Bamboo Lemurs and Reaseheath zoo has White bellied spider monkey

5 zoos in Europe have White throated guenon excluding Russia zoo delle maitine in Italy has agile mangabey Nikolaev zoo in Ukraine has Tana River Mangabey and if you count it a zoo in Sochi has assam macaque

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Mar 2017
  3. Chlidonias

I'm more inclined to lean towards ThylacineAlive's post now, with regards to why not look these all up and then post them all in one post.

Brum, ThylacineAlive and FunkyGibbon like this.
  4. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Tierpark donnersberg has highland streaked tenrec

5. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

A new arrival, having arrived in late 2016.

Another new arrival, and a very pleasing one - they arrived shortly before my June 2016 visit to the collection and as such I will be able to fill the gap in the gallery myself!

Actually, the individual now at Port Lympne arrived since my quoted post - although the species was never truly lost from Europe as the individual in question had previously been misidentified as Western at Banham.

The White-bellied Spider Monkeys at Reaseheath are another example of re-identification, as it happens, having previously been claimed to be Geoffroy's Spider Monkey.

Let's see....

Five collections in Europe hold the *other* species commonly called White-throated Guenon - C. albogularis - but the taxon discussed in this thread is no longer present in European collections.

The Agile Mangabey at the collection you cite are the very individuals which I discussed in my post, and which as I noted at the time would almost certainly pop up elsewhere in time.

The Tana River Mangabey at Nikolaev was listed as a former holding of Agile Mangabey for a long time - it appears someone has added it as a current holding once again further to EARZA annual reports, and as Tana River.

I don't count Sochi :p so Assam Macaque is still absent.

Another new arrival - as I noted in the original post this species is not uncommon in private hands so given this is the main source of Donnersberg's stock it is unsurprising they now keep the species.

6. TeaLovingDave

I have the vague impression that "drill" wants to prove me wrong as much as possible and hence can't wait to post everything in one go :p

7. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Kellens dwarf dormouse held at Plzen and Prague also a zoo in Germany and in Britain plaintain squirrel held at Wingham wildlife park the long nosed squirrel is held at kleindierpark in the Netherlands

yellow toothed cavy held at Skaerup zoo black agouti held at tierpark donnersberg and magdeburg zoo northern viscacha held at tierpark shonebeck

8. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

'drill' can you please listen to the mods and condense your posts. This is a classic interesting thread. Your attempt to update it would probably be welcome if it wasn't so obnoxiously, and frankly illiterately, executed.

9. Chlidonias

I don't think he's reading anything which anyone has posted on the thread recently...

10. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They seem to have generated an awful lot of posts in a relatively short space of time too. Maybe they should be considered as a spammer?

11. TeaLovingDave

The Kellen's Dwarf Dormouse is largely another example of misidentification - all of the listings you refer to pertain to animals incorrectly labelled as Graphiurus parvus.

The Plantain Squirrel at Wingham is a new arrival, as is the Long-nosed Squirrel at Kleindierpark.

The Yellow-toothed Cavy is allegedly a new arrival, but I suspect it is actually a misidentified Muenster Yellow-toothed Cavy.

The Black Agouti at the two collections you cite are new arrivals, but I am given to understand that - like the Mexican Agouti also at Donnersberg - there is some doubt about the identity of these animals. Donnersberg does have a track record for misidentifying their stock as rarer species; they claim to hold Pichi but I am reliably informed that the animals in question are leucistic Screaming Hairy Armadillo :p

If you have actually read the thread - or indeed the post you were actually quoting from - you will note that the continued presence of Northern Mountain Viscacha at Schoenebeck has already been discussed; that said, given the lifespan of the species I suspect if the last survivor is indeed still present, this will not be the case for long considering the group which left Hamerton for said collection in 2014 were geriatric at the time!

12. drill

drill Well-Known Member

northern birch mouse held at moscow zoo

red throated bee eater held at plzen zoo african pygmy kingfisher held at zlin zoo

greater bird of paradise held at weltvogelpark Walsrode

bornean peacock pheasant held at the Waddesdon manor aviary rain quail held at chleby zoo

there are still turquoise parrotlets at loro parque cuban conure held at bioparco di sicillia

plzen has grey headed woodpecker

kiang likes this.
  13. TeaLovingDave

@Chlidonias - I think you are right; he isn't reading a single thing we say :p

New arrival in 2016, I believe :)

Both arrived in late 2016 from private hands, to the best of my knowledge.

Part of a mass import of several species of Bird of Paradise which came to Walsrode from Al-Wabra in early 2016 :)

Both new arrivals from private hands in 2016 to the best of my knowledge; the Peacock-pheasant may even comprise some of the individuals imported several years ago which I mentioned in the original post.

Once again, this is an example of why it is important to check the taxonomic name I wrote and not merely the common name - the Parrotlet to which you refer is Forpus spengeli and *not* Forpus cyanopygius, which is the one mentioned in this thread.

The Conure is a recent arrival, having returned to public display in late 2015.

A recent arrival to the collection in 2016.

ThylacineAlive and kiang like this.
  14. TeaLovingDave

As you seem unable or unwilling to heed our advice I have been kind enough to merge your posts into a more manageable format :p

KevinVar, MagpieGoose, Brum and 3 others like this.
  15. drill

drill Well-Known Member

I have read every page of this thread 4 times and i can prove it

16. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As the person who discovered the Plantain Squirrel at Wingham, I can definitely tell you they were a new arrival after TLD had his post.

That said, while you're certainly going about your "corrections" in the most obnoxious way possible (don't worry, he won't read this), this does point out perhaps a need to go through and update this thread. Personally, I'm pretty excited to see how many species have returned to public collections recently!

~Thylo

17. TeaLovingDave

This being something I planned on doing in any case :) as reflected in my post a few weeks ago when I highlighted some of the most notable species to be lost since I started this thread. To that end I have actually been thinking of uploading one or two of my shots of Black-chinned Fruit Dove from Walsrode to fill the gap noted in this thread, now the species has returned to Europe.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  18. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

But how many more have been lost in the same period?

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  19. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'll let TLD work that one out ;) Hopefully not many, though...

~Thylo

20. TeaLovingDave

As I noted in this post from a few weeks ago, there have been at least 18 notable species lost since I started this thread, even without checking the most speciose groups such as parrots, pigeons and passerines; that said, I will check those groups too - along with any others I didn't check at the time for the sake of sanity :p I can think of another species which we have learned has been lost since I wrote that post, too:

Checkered Elephant Shew (Rhynchocyon cirnei) was last held at Plzen in late 2016 or early 2017, with a small number of photographs displaying the taxon found within the Zoochat gallery, including the following image:

[​IMG]

That one stings somewhat given I missed the species at Tierpark Berlin due to the new director cancelling the then-imminent plans to place that very individual on display immediately before my visit in 2014 :p and even moreso given the fact I will be visiting Plzen in a few months!

KevinVar likes this.