Join our zoo community

Species we have lost over the last quarter of a century

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by TeaLovingDave, 12 May 2015.

1. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Fair enough - doesn't actually affect when the last holding of the taxon in the UK was, in any case.

Prosimian and New World Monkey taxa lost over the past 25 years:

Sanford's Lemur (Eulemur sanfordi) - last held at Hamerton in 2000. There are no photographs of this taxon in the Zoochat gallery, although I am aware of at least one film-photograph existing in a Zoochatter's personal collection.

Eastern Lesser Bamboo Lemur (Hapalemur griseus) - last held at Port Lympne in 2013. Finding images of this taxon is complicated by the fact that for the final few years of this holding, the final individual was held in a mixed-exhibit with the very similar Western Lesser Bamboo Lemur. However, some photographs of the individual in question are present in the Zoochat gallery, for instance:

[​IMG]

Hairy-eared Dwarf Lemur (Allocebus trichotis) - last held at Paris Vincennes in 2002. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

Red Mouse Lemur (Microcebus rufus) - last held at Landau in 2005. The only image of this taxon in the Zoochat gallery is a photograph of a wild individual which may not belong to this taxon.

Northern Giant Mouse Lemur (Mirza zaza) - last held at Marwell in 2009. This taxon was held in a number of European collections during the timespan in question, but was long misidentified as Coquerel's Lemur. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery under either common name.

Fork-crowned Lemur (Phaner furcifer) - last held at Paris Vincennes in the early 2000's. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

Red-tailed Sportive Lemur (Lepilemur ruficaudatus) - last held at Paris Vincennes in 1993. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

Red Slender Loris (Loris tardigradus) - last held at Dierenpark Planckendael in 2008. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

Javan Slow Loris (Nycticebus javanicus) - last held at Zoo Decin in 2001. The only image of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery is of a captive individual in North America.

Demidoff's Bushbaby (Galagoides demidovii) - last held at Rotterdam in the early 1990's. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

Rondo Bushbaby (Galagoides rondoensis) - last held at ZSL London in 1995. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery - unsurprisingly so, as the taxon was held for scarcely more than a month before the sole individual escaped!

Monteiro’s Galago (Otolemur monteiri) - last held at Poznan Nowe in 2003. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

Cross River Bushbaby (Sciurocheirus cameronensis) - last held at Paris Vincennes in 1994. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

Philippine Tarsier (Carlito syrichta) - last held at Skansen-Akvariet in the early 1990's. A single image of one of the individuals held at this collection, taken in the mid-1980's, has been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery:

[​IMG]

Bald Uakari (Cacajao calvus) - last held at Köln in 2005. A single image of the final individual in Europe has been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery:

[​IMG]

Neblina Uakari (Cacajao hosomi) - last held at Köln in 1992. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

Dusky Titi (Callicebus moloch) - last held at Tier-und-Freizeitpark Thule in 2006. The only images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery are of captive individuals in North and South America.

White-nosed Bearded Saki (Chiropotes albinasus) - last held at Köln in 2001 as an impure line containing hybrid input from Red-backed and Black Saki; the final pure individual having passed away in the late 1980's. The only images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery are of a captive individual in South America.

Uta Hick's Bearded Saki (Chiropotes utahickae) - last held at Mulhouse in 2013. Several photographs of the final individual in Europe have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery, for instance:

[​IMG]

Bolivian Red Howler (Alouatta sara) - last held at Twycross in 2007. A handful of photographs of the final individual in Europe have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery, for instance:

[​IMG]

White-bellied Spider Monkey (Ateles belzebuth) - last held in 2007 at Omega Parque Jardim Zoologico. The only images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery are of captive individuals in South America.

Geoffroy's Woolly Monkey (Lagothrix cana) - last held in 1993 at Apenheul. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

Colombian Woolly Monkey (Lagothrix lugens) - last held in 1997 at Apenheul. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

Wied's Marmoset (Callithrix kuhlii) - last held in 2009 at Zoo de La Palmyre. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

Tassel-eared Marmoset (Mico humeralifera) - last held in 1992 at Kilverstone. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

Illiger's Saddleback Tamarin (Saguinus illigeri) - last held in 2014 at Marwell. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

Geoffroy's Saddleback Tamarin (Saguinus nigrifrons) - last held in 1992 at Jersey. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

Geoffroy's Tamarin (Saguinus geoffroyi) - last held in the early 2000's at Amsterdam. A single image of this taxon taken at Bristol has been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery:

[​IMG]

Black Tamarin (Saguinus niger) - last held in 1992 at Kilverstone. The only images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery are of a captive individual in South America.

----

So, it appears that there are a few big gaps in our record of prosimians and New World monkeys - including a few surprising omissions, such as the Giant Mouse Lemur which was held in several European collections until relatively recently. It also appears that Paris Vincennes and Kilverstone were hot-spots for these taxa - in the case of the latter, even where the collection was not the *last* collection to hold a now-absent taxon, it did hold them.

As a matter of fact, there are *no* photographs taken at Kilverstone on Zoochat at all! Hopefully at least one or two Zoochatters will have a few tucked away...... even if they are not of absent-taxa they are still a big gap in our photographic record of UK collections.

Last edited: 24 Jun 2019
  2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Interesting fact now you mention it.

One of the few larger UK collections I never visited. Photo-wise it wouldn't have helped much if I had, as I've never done much photography(see my Zoochat stats...:rolleyes:) Memory yes, photos, no.;)

3. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There used to be my only photo of this species in the Gallery too. It was taken in Frankfurt in 1973. Unfortunately Sim deleted it when he purged the Gallery a little while ago.

Alan

4. TeaLovingDave

Feel free to rectify this issue :p

5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

that smuggling attempt intercepted in Russia recently contained a Javan Slow Loris, so that individual may end up in a zoo there (or may not....).

I hadn't realised that either! Given the number of uncommon neotropical species there, those photos would be interesting to see if anyone has them.

6. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

Oh good. I thought you might delete almost all the photos you don't upload. Thanks.

7. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I thought the article said six?

~Thylo:cool:

8. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have found my old scan of the tarsier, plus a couple of the red howlers at Twycross. It will feel a little odd to repost a photo that has been deleted, but since you've asked nicely, I will ;)
    I wonder how many more of the species that are missing were in the Gallery once upon a time.
    When I get set up for scanning again I can fill one or two more gaps - I've even got a few Kilverstone shots, but the only one I can recall is an otter.

Alan

9. TeaLovingDave

Not the nicest thing in that lot :p

Cheers :) I would not be surprised if quite a few of the missing species were indeed among those deleted from the gallery in the Great Purge - certainly some of the taxa which disappeared more recently yet have gone unrecorded, such as the Giant Mouse Lemur and Saddleback Tamarin at Marwell, and some of the odd pigeons at ZSL London, would stand a good chance of having been among them.

10. Chlidonias

the article said "six lemurs". All were probably slow lorises but the photos only show one animal (a Javan Slow Loris), although another is visible in the box underneath. As they were all bought in an animal market there is no certainty all would be the same species.

11. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A very fascinating and informative topic - it would be interesting to see such a list compiled for the USA. I do admire how dedicated the European zoochatters are to these incredible lists.

12. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As would I but without an American version of zootierliste and with no more ISIS/ZIMS I'm not sure how we could do it...

~Thylo:cool:

13. TeaLovingDave

Old World Monkey and Ape taxa lost over the past 25 years:

Preuss's Monkey (Allochrocebus preussi) - last held in 1998 at Mulhouse. No photographs of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

White-throated Guenon (Cercopithecus erythrogaster) - this taxon may still be present at the last collection to hold the species; however, as the individual concerned has been offshow for several years it is difficult to say for certain. The taxon was last reported as being alive in 2009, when the following photograph was taken and posted to the Zoochat gallery:

[​IMG]

Blue Monkey (Cercopithecus mitis) - this taxon was last held in 2006 at Zoo Carmona. The only images of this taxon in the Zoochat gallery are of captive individuals in Asia and North America, and wild individuals in Africa.

Wolf’s Guenon (Cercopithecus wolfi) - this taxon was last held in 2001 at Zoo de La Palmyre. The only images of this taxon in the Zoochat gallery are of captive individuals in North America.

Bale Mountains Grivet (Chlorocebus djamdjamensis) - this taxon was last held in 2010 at Bojnice. No photographs of this taxon exist on the Zoochat gallery.

Southern Talapoin (Miopithecus talapoin) - this taxon was last held in 2012 at Bioparc Valencia. A small number of photographs of the final individual in Europe have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery, for instance:

[​IMG]

Agile Mangabey (Cercocebus agilis) - last held in 2015 at Dierenpark Wissel. The individuals concerned *may* still be present elsewhere in Europe subsequent to the closure of Wissel, but at the present time their location is unknown. Numerous images of this taxon have been posted to the Zoochat gallery, for instance:

[​IMG]

Tana River Mangabey (Cercocebus galeritus) - last held in 1995 at Ingolstadt Kleinzoo. No images of this taxon have been posted to the Zoochat gallery.

Johnston's Mangabey (Lophocebus johnstoni) - last held in 2009 at Paris Menagerie. No images of this taxon have been posted to the Zoochat gallery.

Assam Macaque (Macaca assamensis) - last held in 2011 at Bioparco di Roma. A single image of the final individual in Europe - along with what was at the time the final individual of Northern Pig-tailed Macaque in Europe - has been posted to the Zoochat gallery:

[​IMG]

Booted Macaque (Macaca ochreata) - last held in 1990 at Zoo Berlin. No images of this taxon have been posted to the Zoochat gallery.

Siberut Macaque (Macaca siberu) - last held in 1997 at Bristol. No images of this taxon have been posted to the Zoochat gallery - although I am reasonably sure I have seen images of the individual in question posted in the past, and as such suspect they were deleted in the "Great Purge".

Tibetan Macaque (Macaca thibetana) last held in 2002 at Barcelona. The only images of this taxon posted to the Zoochat gallery are of wild and captive individuals in Asia.

Maroon Red Surili (Presbytis rubicunda) - last held in 1993 at Howletts. No images of this taxon have been posted to the Zoochat gallery.

Tufted Gray Langur (Semnopithecus priam) - last held in 2011 at Antwerp. Several images of this taxon exist on the Zoochat gallery, including the following:

[​IMG]

Purple-faced Langur (Semnopithecus vetulus) - last held in 2015 at Cotswold Wildlife Park. Many images of this taxon, and of the final individual in Europe, have been posted to the Zoochat gallery including the following:

[​IMG]

Phayre's Langur (Trachypithecus phayrei) - last held in 2009 at Twycross. A number of images of this taxon exist on the Zoochat gallery, including the following image of the final individual in Europe:

[​IMG]

Kloss Gibbon (Hylobates klossii) - last held in 2006 at Twycross. A single image of this taxon - a photograph of the final individual in Europe - exists on the Zoochat gallery:

[​IMG]

Black Crested Gibbon (Nomascus concolor) - last held in the early 1990's at Twycross. No images of this taxon exist on the Zoochat gallery.

Hainan Crested Gibbon (Nomascus hainanus) - last held in 1995 at Twycross. A single image of this taxon has been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery; possibly one of the more bittersweet images in this thread, considering the current position of the taxon:

[​IMG]

-----

Overall, it is quite satisfying how many unusual taxa which have been lost from European collections we *do* have photographs of. However, there are still a few blindspots where a taxon is unrepresented, even if it were present within Europe recently enough that photographs would be expected to be a little more common - the Tibetan Macaque is a notable example.

UngulateNerd92 likes this.
  14. TeaLovingDave

The (extremely nice) images in question:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

There's another photo of Rome's Assam macaque here

[​IMG]

Also, when I visited in 2010 Palmitos Park (Gran Canaria) had a group of around 5 talapoins on exhibit, with both species displayed together. Unfortunately they were mostly curled up balls of fur, I can't remember how many were Southern, but I remember struggling to see a definite Northern talapoin. If it was a family group, I imagine that there may be at least one survivor. I've had to repeatedly post this listing to zootierliste as it's regularly completely deleted.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 24 Jun 2019
  16. Chlidonias

17. TeaLovingDave

18. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Just for you, TLD, I've posted some dodgy old shots of a couple of Barcelona's past species:

Hog-nosed Skunk

[​IMG]

Tibetan Macaque

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 24 Jun 2019
  19. TeaLovingDave

Excellent :) particularly pleased someone got photos of the odd skunks, considering how impoverished Europe is for mephitid diversity these days.

20. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That unfortunately seems to be the case, and it's very much a shame. Still enjoying these lists nonethless ^^