Join our zoo community

Species we have lost over the last quarter of a century

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by TeaLovingDave, 12 May 2015.

1. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Just added two photos to the gallery. Taken at Twycross in July 2006.

Bolivian red howler

[​IMG]

Phayre's langur

[​IMG]

Alan

Last edited by a moderator: 24 Jun 2019
    UngulateNerd92 likes this.
  2. robmv

robmv Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I've added a photo of a Hog-nosed Skunk that I took at Terra Natura in February 2008:

[​IMG]

I think it's likely that this is one of the animals (or their offspring) that Maguari saw at Barcelona as both were part of a temporary display of venomous reptiles and nocturnal mammals.

Zootierliste makes no mention of this species at Terra Natura but this adds a least six years to their timeline in Europe.

3. robmv

Another omission from Zootierliste is Brown Hawk Owl (Ninox scutulata) which I saw on my first visit to Eagle Heights in June 2001:

[​IMG]

I have also added a photo of one of the hybrid sakis at Cologne:

[​IMG]

4. robmv

And finally for today, a small carnivore to annoy TLD:

Kit Fox:

[​IMG]

5. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Ungulate taxa lost over the past 25 years:

Sumatran Rhinoceros (Dicerorhinus sumatrensis) - last held at Port Lympne in 1998. Several images of this taxon in European collections have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery, including the following photograph of the final individual in Europe:

[​IMG]

Mountain Tapir (Tapirus pinchaque) - last held at Wilhelma in 1997. The only images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery are photographs of captive individuals in North America and South America.

Desert Warthog (Phacochoerus aethiopicus) - last held at Tallinn in 2011. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

Bush Pig (Potamochoerus larvatus) - last held at Duisburg in 1994. The only images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery are photographs of captive individuals in North America and Madagascar.

Javan Warty Pig (Sus verrucosus) - last held at Poznan Nowe in 2004. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

Masai Giraffe (Giraffa tippelskirchi) - last held at Antwerp in 2015. Several images of this taxon in European collections have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery, for instance:

[​IMG]

Marsh Deer (Blastocerus dichotomus) - last held at Zoo Berlin in 2009. A single image of this taxon at the collection, taken in the 1980's, has been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery:

[​IMG]

Mule Deer (Odocoileus hemionus) - last held at Tierpark Berlin in 1992. The only images of this taxon uploaded to the Zoochat gallery are photographs of captive and wild individuals in North America.

Pampas Deer (Ozotoceros bezoarticus) - last held at Zoo Berlin in 2003. A small number of images of this taxon in Europe have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery, including the following image of the final individual:

[​IMG]

Calamian Deer (Axis calamianensis) - last held at Howletts in 1990. The only images of this taxon uploaded to the Zoochat gallery are photographs of captive individuals in North America.

Manchurian Elk (Cervus xanthopygus) - last held at Odessa in 2009. The only images of this taxon uploaded to the Zoochat gallery are photographs of captive individuals in Asia.

Savannah Buffalo (Syncerus brachyceros) - last held at Antwerp in the early 1990s. A single image of this taxon has been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery:

[​IMG]

Chousingha (Tetracerus quadricornis) - last held at Paris Menagerie in 2009. A number of images of this taxon in Europe have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery, for instance this photograph of an individual at Howletts:

[​IMG]

Western Bushbuck (Tragelaphus scriptus) - last held at Hannover in the early 1990s. The only images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery are of captive individuals in North America.

Bontebok (Damaliscus pygargus) - last held at Murcia Terra Natura in 2013. A number of images of this taxon in Europe have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery, for instance this photograph of an individual at Suffolk Wildlife Park:

[​IMG]

Red-fronted Gazelle (Eudorcas rufifrons) - last held at Warsaw in 2010. The only images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery are of captive individuals in North America; however I found a broken link to a photograph posted by Maguari which was deleted in the "Great Purge" and apparently showed the last individual in Europe - so there is at least one image with the potential to be uploaded.

Cavendish's Dik-dik (Madoqua cavendishi) - last held at Rotterdam in 2008. The only images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery are photographs of captive individuals in North America.

Grant's Gazelle (Nanger granti) - last held at Dvur in 1990. The only images of this taxon in the Zoochat gallery are photographs of captive individuals in North America, and wild individuals in Africa.

Western Saiga (Saiga tatarica) - still held, to the best of my knowledge, in a semi-wild situation in a Ukrainian reserve. However, it is no longer held in a true captive collection, and as such merits discussion. Last held at Moscow Breeding Nursery in 2012, or Köln in 2009, depending on how one defines Europe. Having been held in a number of European collections over the timespan in question, several images of this taxon in Europe have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery, for instance:

[​IMG]

Royal Antelope (Neotragus pygmaeus) - last held at Poznan Nowe in 2004. The only images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery are of captive individuals in North America.

Bay Duiker (Cephalophus dorsalis) - last held at Mulhouse in the 1990's. The only images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery are of captive individuals in North America.

Red Goral (Naemorhedus baileyi) - last held at Rotterdam in 2000. The only images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery are of captive individuals in Asia.

Nilgiri Tahr (Nilgiritragus hylocrius) - last held at Bioparc Fuengirola in c.2010. The only images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery are of captive individuals in North America.

-----

It is apparent that hoofstock taxa which have disappeared from European collections in the last 25 years have a relatively good level of representation in the Zoochat gallery - of course, there are still a few areas where images would be expected due to how recently a given taxon was held yet they are absent; however I suspect further images will turn up in the personal collections of Zoochatters.

Sad to say, there are a fair few hoofstock taxa I can think of which, were I to update the list in another year or so, would certainly be joining the list of species lost from Europe......

Last edited: 24 Jun 2019
  6. TeaLovingDave

Very interesting; as noted in the discussion on that image I don't think this animal *is* a Molina's Hog-nosed Skunk, rather resembling an Amazonian Hog-nosed Skunk..... which if your theory is correct, would mean the Barcelona animals were also this taxon.

7. robmv

I think I would agree - the dangers of blindly accepting the label!

I have addressed the lack of Red-fronted Gazelle photos:

[​IMG]

8. robmv

I can extend this one by a couple of years: I saw an African Grass Owl at Liberty's Owl, Raptor and Reptile Centre (then the New Forest Owl Sanctuary) in April 2002.

9. TeaLovingDave

Excellent - and was it definitely an African Grass Owl? I have been informed that African Barn Owl (Tyto alba affinis) occasionally gets labelled as African Grass Owl in private aviculture :p

10. robmv

I think so; I'm going by my old notebooks, but there were a few around at that time.

Here's a couple of photo gaps filled:

Changeable Hawk-Eagle (Nisaetus cirrhatus limnaeetus):

[​IMG]

Pied Harrier (Circus melanoleucus):

[​IMG]

Plus a couple which you didn't mention, but which seem to have disappeared:

Black-chested Snake Eagle (Circaetus pectoralis):

[​IMG]

Grey Hawk (Buteo nitidus):

[​IMG]

TNT likes this.
  11. TeaLovingDave

Yeah, I hedged my bets with those as they were on ZTL until very recently, being removed by another user when Hevden went to Newent and didn't report having seen them, despite their observation that several areas of the collection were off-display and as such some taxa could have remained unseen.

They quite likely *are* gone - but as no one has actually verified this, I didn't mention them. That said, as I have since included taxa which are still listed on ZTL but unlikely to be present, I probably should have included them. :p

12. TeaLovingDave

Some miscellaneous groups.....

Monotreme taxa lost over the past 25 years:

Barton's Long-beaked Echidna (Zaglossus bartoni) - last held at London in 1994. There are a handful of photographs of this species in the Zoochat gallery, including the following image taken in 1990:

[​IMG]

Western Long-beaked Echidna (Zaglossus bruijnii) - last held at Moscow in 2013. A number of images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery, including this image of the final individual not long before it passed away:

[​IMG]

Tenrec taxa lost over the past 25 years:

Highland Streaked Tenrec (Hemicentetes nigriceps) - last held at Ostrava in 2014. This taxon is around in very small numbers in private collections, and I believe *may* still be present in one or two collections which are not listed on Zootierliste. There are a small number of images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery, for instance:

[​IMG]

Insectivore taxa lost over the past 25 years:

Somali Hedgehog (Atelerix sclateri) - last held at Madrid Faunia in c.2010. No images of this taxon are present on the Zoochat gallery.

Brandt's Hedgehog (Paraechinus hypomelas) - last held at Plzen in 2000. No images of this taxon are present on the Zoochat gallery.

Indian Hedgehog (Paraechinus micropus) - last held at Five Sisters in 2013. Only a single image of this taxon has been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery:

[​IMG]

Russian Desman (Desmana moschata) - last held at Leningradsky Zoopark in 1992. The only image of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery is of a poorly-preserved taxidermy specimen.

Elephant-shrew taxa lost over the past 25 years:

Golden-rumped Sengi (Rhynchocyon chrysopygus) - last held at Frankfurt in 1997. A single image of this taxon has been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery:

[​IMG]

Tree-shrew taxa lost over the past 25 years:

Pygmy Tree-shrew (Tupaia minor) - last held at Thrigby Hall in the mid-2000s. The only image of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery is a photograph of a wild individual in Asia.

Large Tree-shrew (Tupaia tana) - last held at Thrigby Hall in 2010. There is a single image of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery, taken at ZSL London in 1980.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 23 Jul 2019
  13. Thaumatibis

Thaumatibis Well-Known Member

Wow! I thoroughly enjoy this thread!

~ Thaumatibis

14. TeaLovingDave

Cuckoo and Turaco taxa lost over the past 25 years:

Lesser Coucal (Centropus bengalensis) - last held at Duisburg in 1993. The only images of this taxon in the gallery are of captive individuals in Asia.

Pheasant Coucal (Centropus phasianinus) - last held at Plzen in 2006. The only images of this taxon in the gallery are of captive and wild individuals in Australia.

Senegal Coucal (Centropus senegalensis) - last held at Artis in 1996. There are no images of this taxon in the Zoochat gallery.

Greater Coucal (Centropus sinensis) - last held at Plock in 2004. The only image of this taxon in the gallery is of a captive individual in Asia.

Madagascar Coucal (Centropus toulou) - last held at Heidelberg in 1999. There are no images of this taxon in the Zoochat gallery.

Yellow-bill Coucal (Ceuthmochares aereus) - last held at Heidelberg in the early 1990's. The only image of this taxon in the gallery is of a wild individual in Africa.

Dideric Cuckoo (Chrysococcyx caprius) - last held at Wuppertal in the early 1990's. There are no images of this taxon in the Zoochat gallery.

Dark-billed Cuckoo (Coccyzus melacoryphus) - last held at Tierpark Berlin in 2005. There are no images of this taxon in the Zoochat gallery.

Red-fronted Coua (Coua reynaudii) - last held at Zurich in 2011. There are no images of this taxon in the Zoochat gallery despite several European collections having held it in the timespan in question.

Hispaniolan Lizard-cuckoo (Saurothera longirostris) - last held at Walsrode in 1994. There are no images of this taxon in the Zoochat gallery.

Red-billed Malkoha (Zanclostomus javanicus) - last held at Koln in 2002. There are no images of this taxon in the Zoochat gallery.

Grey Go-away-bird (Corythaixoides concolor) - last held at Battersea Park in 2000. The only images of this taxon in the Zoochat gallery are of wild and captive individuals in Africa.

Eastern Gray Plantain-eater (Crinifer zonurus) - last held at BestZoo in 2003. The only image of this taxon in the Zoochat gallery is of a wild individual in Africa.

Ruwenzori Turaco (Gallirex johnstoni) - last held at Mulhouse in 1992. There are no images of this taxon in the Zoochat gallery.

Knysna Turaco (Tauraco corythaix) - last held at Vogelpark Marlow in the early 2000's. There are no images of this taxon in the Zoochat gallery.

15. Thaumatibis

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No photos, huh? :p

~ Thaumatibis

16. TeaLovingDave

17. Thaumatibis

I didn't even know Bale grivet was another term until recently. That's Zoochat for ya!

~ Thaumatibis

18. TeaLovingDave

This one might be a big undertaking......

Rodent taxa lost over the past 25 years (part I):

Kellen`s Dwarf Dormouse (Graphiurus kelleni) - last held at Chester Zoo in 2013. There are no photographs of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery, although I am certain it will have been photographed by members of this site :p I have a feeling I have photographs of the taxon at this collection, so will have a looksee to find out.

Lorrain Dormouse (Graphiurus lorraineus) - last held at Schulzoo Herford in c.2010. There are no photographs of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

Huet's Dormouse (Graphiurus nagtglasii) - last held at Plzen in 2006. There are no photographs of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

White-necked Squirrel (Sciurus stramineus) - last held at Yorkshire Wildlife Park in 2011. A handful of photographs of this taxon are present on the Zoochat gallery, for instance the following image:

[​IMG]

Douglas' Squirrel (Tamiasciurus douglasii) - last held at Heythrop Zoo in 2013. The only image of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery is of a wild individual in Canada, and due to the rules of the collection in question, no images of the individuals held in Europe can be posted to this site.

Northern Flying Squirrel (Glaucomys sabrinus) - last held at Antwerp in 1990. The only images relating to this taxon on the Zoochat gallery are of informational signs from North America.

Black-striped Squirrel (Callosciurus nigrovittatus) - last held at Plzen in the early 2000's. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

Plaintain Squirrel (Callosciurus notatus) - last held at Budapest in 2012. There are a number of photographs of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery, including the following image from Stuttgart:

[​IMG]

Perny's Long-nosed Squirrel (Dremomys pernyi) - last held at Plzen in 2014. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

Congo Rope Squirrel (Funisciurus congicus) - last held at Tiergarten Ulm in 2012. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

Red-footed Tree Squirrel (Funisciurus pyrropus) - last held at Plzen in 2011. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

Cooper's Mountain Squirrel (Paraxerus cooperi) - last held at Plzen in 2010. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

Barbary Ground Squirrel (Atlantoxerus getulus) - last held at Plzen in 2007. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

Striped Ground Squirrel (Xerus erythropus) - last held at Zoo Berlin in the late 1990's. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

Unstriped Ground Squirrel (Xerus rutilus) - last held at Tiergarten Bernburg in 2013. A single image of this taxon has been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery, showing an individual at Opel-Zoo:

[​IMG]

Mexican Ground Squirrel (Ictidomys mexicanus) - last held at Schulzoo Herford in 2006. The only image of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery is of a captive individual in North America.

Thirteen-lined Ground Squirrel (Ictidomys tridecemlineatus) - last held at Plzen in 2011. A single image of this taxon has been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery:

[​IMG]

Gray Marmot (Marmota baibacina) - last held at Marmottes Paradis in 2013. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

Hoary Marmot (Marmota caligata) - last held at Tierpark Hellabrunn in 1992. The only images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery are of captive individuals in North America.

Black-capped Marmot (Marmota camtschatica) - last held at Marmottes Paradis in 2013. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

Long-tailed Marmot (Marmota caudata) - last held at Marmottes Paradis in 2011. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

Yellow-bellied Marmot (Marmota flaviventris) - last held at Marmottes Paradis in 2011. The only images of this taxon in the Zoochat gallery are of wild and captive individuals in North America.

Tarbagan Marmot (Marmota sibirica) - last held at Marmottes Paradis in 2013. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

Vancouver Marmot (Marmota vancouverensis) - last held at Marmottes Paradis in 2014. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

Yellow Ground Squirrel (Spermophilus fulvus) - last held at Moscow in 2009. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

Little Ground Squirrel (Spermophilus pygmaeus) - last held at Rostov Zoo in 2012. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

Long-tailed Ground Squirrel (Urocitellus undulatus) - last held at Zoo Eberswalde in 2009. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

Mexican Hairy Porcupine (Sphiggurus mexicanus) - last held at Zoo Berlin in the 1990's. The only images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery are of captive and wild individuals in North and Central America.

Mountain Paca (Cuniculus taczanowskii) - last held at Amazon World in 2013. There is only one image of this taxon within a European collection on the Zoochat gallery, despite the species being relatively commonplace in the recent past; the following photograph of an individual at Magdeburg:

[​IMG]

Montane Guinea Pig ([/I]Cavia tschudii)[/I] - last held at Tiergarten Neustrelitz in 2007. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

Common Yellow-toothed Cavy (Galea musteloides) - last held at Plzen in 2007. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery, although one image of Munster Yellow-toothed Cavy has been mislabelled as this taxon.

Black Agouti (Dasyprocta fuliginosa) - last held at Kilverstone in 1992. The only image of this taxon in the Zoochat gallery is of a captive individual in South America, although a number of images of a misidentified Mexican Agouti at Madrid have been posted under this name.

Roatan Island Agouti (Dasyprocta ruatanica) - last held at Givskud Zoo in 2001. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

Short-tailed Chinchilla (Chinchilla chinchilla) - last held at Allwetterzoo in 2000. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

Northern Mountain Viscacha (Lagidium peruanum) - this taxon is possibly still held at Tierpark Schönebeck; however due to the age of the last individual at the collection it is possible that the species has disappeared from Europe within the last 12 months. The last certain record of the taxon at this collection as far as I know was in 2014. Several photographs of this taxon have been posted to the Zoochat gallery, including the following:

[​IMG]

Southern Mountain Viscacha (Lagidium viscacia) - last held at Chester in 1998. There are no photographs of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery, although a number of photographs of the Northern taxon have been mislabeled as Southern. However, I believe I have seen film photographs of the Chester animals in the collection of a Zoochatter.

Pacarana (Dinomys branickii) - last held at Poznan Stare in 1993. Although several images from South American captive collections have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery, the only photograph in the gallery from a European collection is the following image, taken at Bristol in 1983:

[​IMG]

Moon-toothed Degu (Octodon lunatus) - last held at Wilhelma in 1990. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

Jamaican Hutia (Geocapromys brownii) - last held at Frankfurt in 1997. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

Hottentot Mole-rat (Cryptomys hottentotus) - last held at Frankfurt in 1993. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

Dassie Rat (Petromus typicus) - last held at Tierpark Berlin in 2007. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

Greater Cane Rat (Thryonomys swinderianus) - last held at Plzen in 2009. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

Severtzov's Jerboa (Allactaga severtzovi) - last held at Moscow in the mid-1990's. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

Mongolian Five-toed Jerboa (Allactaga sibirica) - last held at Tierpark Görlitz in 2004. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

Dwarf Fat-tailed Jerboa (Pygeretmus pumilio) - last held at Tierpark Hellabrunn in 2005. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

Northern Birch Mouse (Sicista betulina) - last held at Ogród Fauny Polskiej in 2011. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

Southern Birch Mouse (Sicista subtilis) - last held at Moscow in 2002. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

Lesser Bamboo Rat (Cannomys badius) - last held at Plzen in 2011. A single image of this taxon has been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery:

[​IMG]

Demon Mole Rat (Tachyoryctes daemon) - last held at Praha in 2012. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

Silvery Mountain Vole (Alticola argentatus) - last held at Tierpark Berlin in 1999. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

Barakshin's Mountain Vole (Alticola barakshin) - last held at Plzen in 2010. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

Mongolian Silver Vole (Alticola semicanus) - last held at Tierpark Berlin in 2004. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

Afghan Vole (Blanfordimys afghanus) - last held at Leningradsky Zoopark in 2012. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

Altai Vole (Microtus obscurus) - last held at Plzen in 2001. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

Tundra Vole (Microtus oeconomus) - last held at Plzen in 2005. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

European Pine Vole (Microtus subterraneus) - last held at Plzen in 2012. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

White-throated Woodrat (Neotoma albigula) - last held at Arnhem in the early 2000's. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

White-footed Mouse (Peromyscus leucopus) - last held at Plzen in 2009. The only images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery are of a captive individual in North America.

Nicaraguan Harvest Mouse (Reithrodontomys paradoxus) - last held at Thrigby Hall in 2011. No images of this taxon have been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

Olive Grass Mouse (Abrothrix olivaceus) - last held at Tierpark Berlin in the early 1990's. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

Small Vesper Mouse (Calomys laucha) - last held at Moscow in 1995. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

Gray Leaf-eared Mouse (Graomys griseoflavus) - last held at Tierpark Berlin in the late 1990's. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

Long-tailed Rice Rat (Oligoryzomys longicaudatus) - last held at Tierpark Berlin in the early 1990's. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

Darwin's Leaf-eared Mouse (Phyllotis darwini) - last held at Artis in 1996. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

Gray Spiny Mouse (Acomys cineraceus) - last held at Tierpark Berlin in 1996. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

Kenyan Spiny Mouse (Acomys wilsoni) - last held at Plzen in 2010. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

Cape Short-eared Gerbil (Desmodillus auricularis) - last held at Moscow in the early 2000's. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

Brant's Gerbil (Gerbilliscus brantsii) - last held at Plzen in 2004. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

Fringe-tailed Gerbil (Gerbilliscus robustus) - last held at Plzen in 2014. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

Berbera Gerbil (Gerbillus acticola) - last held at Noah's Ark Zoo Farm in 2013. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

Giza Pygmy Gerbil (Gerbillus amoenus) - last held at Tierpark Berlin in the mid-1990's. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

Anderson´s Gerbil (Gerbillus andersoni) - last held at Plzen in 2012. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

Greater Egyptian Gerbil (Gerbillus pyramidum) - last held at Plzen in 2005. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

Simon´s Gerbil (Gerbillus simoni) - last held at Plzen in 2012. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

Greater Shaw's Jird (Meriones grandis) - last held at Schulzoo Herford in 2008. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

Indian Gerbil (Tatera indica) - last held at Plzen in 2008. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

Namaqua Rock Rat (Aethomys namaquensis) - last held at Plzen in 2008. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

Iran Wood Mouse (Apodemus arianus) - last held at Plzen in 2006. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

Caucasus Field Mouse (Apodemus hyrcanicus) - last held at Plzen in 2001. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

Abyssinian Grass Rat (Arvicanthis abyssinicus) - last held at Plzen in 2009. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

Pencil-tailed Tree Mouse (Chiropodomys gliroides) - last held at Schulzoo Binzer Straße in 2004. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

Gray-headed Thicket Rat (Grammomys caniceps) - last held at Plzen in 2013. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

African Tree Rat (Grammomys surdaster) - last held at Schulzoo Herford in 2008. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

Single-striped Grass Mouse (Lemniscomys rosalia) - last held at Plzen in 2011. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

Edward's Swamp Rat (Malacomys edwardsi) - last held at Marwell in 2004. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

Algerian Mouse (Mus spretus) - last held at Schulzoo Herford in 2008. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

Spinifex Hopping Mouse (Notomys alexis) - last held at ZSL London in the late 1990's. The only photographs of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery are of captive individuals in Australia.

Tullberg's Soft-furred Mouse (Praomys tullbergi) - last held at Plzen in 2004. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

Chestnut Climbing Mouse (Dendromus mystacalis) - last held at Plzen in 2009. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

Short-tailed Pouched Mouse (Saccostomus campestris) - last held at Marwell in 2004. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

Northwestern Fat Mouse (Steatomys caurinus) - last held at Prague in 2011. There are no images of this taxon on the Zoochat gallery.

-----

The above list of Rodent taxa lost tell us one thing - that small rodents are obviously much overlooked! Some of the species listed above were held in many European collections over the last 25 years, yet no photographs have been posted of them - obviously some of this can be explained by individuals being off-display, and rodents not being a priority for photographs in the days when film photography was king..... but not all of it :p

Last edited: 24 Jun 2019
  19. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Who identified the dormice at chester as Kellen's, they were labelled as Woodland?

20. TeaLovingDave

I believe they had both; this is why the label read Graphiurus sp. for a time.