Join our zoo community

Species we have lost over the last quarter of a century

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by TeaLovingDave, 12 May 2015.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Just uploaded a picture of this species which I made somewhere in the 1980-ties at Antwerp Zoo:

[​IMG]

Just discovered there was already a picture in the Veldhoven-Gallary :) :

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 19 Nov 2015
  2. vogelcommando

Just uploaded another picture of this species, taken at Weltvogelpark Walsrode around 1987 in the winter-quarters of the Birdpark:

[​IMG]

3. vogelcommando

Another Kingfisher-species lost over the past 25 years is the Stork-billed kingfisher, last mentioned in Europe in 1990.

I myself took care for one specimen at Weltvogelpark Walsrode in the period 1986 - 1989 and then I was able to obtain this specimen myself :). Because I didn't have the place and time to take care of the animal myself, I gave it to a friend where it lived for some more time. Some old pictures of this animal - when it was still at Walsrode - I have just uploaded and can be found here :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

I know Rob already posted one of his, but thought I'd pop mine back up anyway:

[​IMG]

5. vogelcommando

Took care of the small group at Walsrode but only could find 1 ( very bad and very dark ) photo of it which I have just uploaded in the Walsrode gallary :

[​IMG]

6. vogelcommando

2 more species have disappeared during the last 25 years:
    - Cinnamon-chested bee-eater ( Merops oreobates ), last specimen died after 1990 at Walsrode. Just have uploaded a ( bad ) photo of this species in the Walsrode Gallery:

[​IMG]

- Black bee-eater ( Merops gularis ), here also the last specimen died after 1990 and also from this species a very bad photo uploaded in the Walsrode Gallery :

[​IMG]

From the Little bee-eater - from which no photos were at the Gallery here one taken at Walsrode :

[​IMG]

7. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have just posted images of a southern hairy-nosed wombat (Basle, 1973) and a brush-tailed rock wallaby (Blackpool, 1982).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alan

8. gentle lemur

9. vogelcommando

Just uploaded a picture of the Abyssinian roller in the Walsrode Gallary :

[​IMG]

This chick - together with 3 other hatched during 1988. The breeding-pair had choosen the smallest nesting-box avaible in the aviary and this was not large enough for 4 chicks.

Therefor 2 chicks were taken for hand-raising. During the breeding-period Rollers can be very agressive and the pair of Abyssinian rollers at Walsrode were no exeption, They realy attaced and several keepers had smaller head-wounds !

10. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Some extremely nice additions to the gallery in the last week or so; exactly the kind of thing I hoped for when I started this thread!

I should really do another post to highlight further taxonomic gaps in the European zoo world.....

11. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If you can continue to notify us here of your fresh historic additions it would be helpful- I nearly missed those Frankfurt ones as the Gallery is just so huge.;)

12. gentle lemur

My last posting was just gorillas (sorry to disappoint you ;)) Stefi at Basle and number 1 son Jambo with Nandi at Jersey. The previous one was a southern elephant seal at Hanover.

[​IMG]

Alan

Last edited: 20 Nov 2015
  13. TeaLovingDave

A few more assorted groups.....

Birds-of-Paradise lost in the past 25 years

Magnificent Bird-of-Paradise (Cicinnurus magnificus) - although still listed on ZTL for Oasi di Sant'Alessio, this collection is seldom visited and I have my suspicions the listing is no longer accurate. The taxon has been displayed in a number of other collections within the timespan in question, including Palmitos Park and Roma. The only images of this taxon in the Zoochat gallery are of captive individuals in Indonesia and the USA.

White-billed Sicklebill (Drepanornis bruijnii) - this taxon was last held in the early 1990's at Palmitos Park. There are no images of this taxon in the Zoochat gallery.

Superb Bird-of-Paradise (Lophorina superba) - this taxon was last held in the early 2000's at Walsrode. The only images of this taxon in the Zoochat gallery are of captive individuals in the USA.

Crinkle-collared Manucode (Manucodia chalybatus) - this taxon was last held in 2008 at Zoo Berlin, having been misidentified as a Trumpet Manucode until after it passed away and kept with a true individual of said taxon. However, there are no images of this taxon in the Zoochat gallery.

Greater Bird-of-Paradise (Paradisaea apoda) - this taxon was last held in 2008 at Walsrode. There are numerous photographs of this taxon in the Zoochat gallery, including this image of the final individual in Europe:

[​IMG]

Magnificent Riflebird (Ptiloris magnificus) - this taxon was last held in 2001 at Walsrode. The only images of this taxon in the Zoochat gallery are of captive individuals in Indonesia.

Corvids lost in the past 25 years

"Mexican Jay" (Aphelocoma ultramarina) - this taxon was last held in the early 2000's at Vogelpark Heiligenkirchen . The taxon was split in 2011 into the Mexican Jay proper, A. wollweberi, and the Transvolcanic Jay, which retained the original scientific name. It is unclear which taxon the European individuals belonged to, and there are no images in the Zoochat gallery. A single image of a true Mexican Jay in the wild has been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery.

New Caledonia Crow (Corvus moneduloides) - this taxon was last held in 2010 at Tierpark Hellabrunn . Although held in a small number of European collections in the timespan in question, there are no images of the taxon in the Zoochat gallery.

Racket-tailed Treepie (Crypsirina temia) - this taxon was last held in 2008 at Moscow. The only images of this taxon in the Zoochat gallery are of captive individuals in Indonesia and Hong Kong.

Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) - this taxon was last held in 2011 at Vogelpark Ruinen. Although several European collections displayed the species during the timespan in question, the only images of the taxon in the Zoochat gallery are of wild and captive individuals in the USA.

Black-chested Jay (Cyanocorax affinis) - this taxon was last held in 1992 at Vogelpark Avifauna. There are no images of this taxon in the Zoochat gallery.

Azure Jay (Cyanocorax caeruleus) - this taxon was last held in the early 2000's at Vogelpark Heiligenkirchen. There are no images of this taxon in the Zoochat gallery.

White-naped Jay (Cyanocorax cyanopogon) - this taxon was last held in 1990 at ZSL London. There are no images of this taxon in the Zoochat gallery.

Bushy-crested Jay (Cyanocorax melanocyaneus) - this taxon was last held in 2004 at Duisberg. There are no images of this taxon in the Zoochat gallery.

Violaceous Jay (Cyanocorax violaceus) - this taxon was last held in 2013 at Terra Natura Park. There are no images of this taxon in the Zoochat gallery.

Yucatan Jay (Cyanocorax yucatanicus) - this taxon was last held in 2010 at Bietigheim-Bissingen Stadtgarten. The only image of this taxon in the Zoochat gallery is of a captive individual in Mexico.

Grey Treepie (Dendrocitta formosae) - this taxon was last held in 2014 at Birdland. There are several images of the taxon in the Zoochat gallery, including this photograph of the last individual in Europe:

[​IMG]

White-bellied Treepie (Dendrocitta leucogastra) - this taxon was last held in 1993 at Walsrode. There are no images of this taxon in the Zoochat gallery.

Rufous Treepie (Dendrocitta vagabunda) - this taxon was last held in 2014 at Vogelpark Niendorf. Although approximately a dozen European collections held this taxon within the time period in question, some very recently, only a single image of this species in a European collection has been uploaded to the Zoochat gallery. The following image was taken at Birdworld:

[​IMG]

Black-headed Jay (Garrulus lanceolatus) - this taxon was last held in 1994 at Parken Zoo. There are no images of this taxon in the Zoochat gallery.

Crested Jay (Platylophus galericulatus) - this taxon was last held in 2007 at Walsrode. There are - thanks to this thread - two photos of this taxon in the Zoochat gallery, including this image:

[​IMG]

Bowerbirds lost in the past 25 years:

Green Catbird (Ailuroedus crassirostris) - this taxon was last held in 2005 at Paradise Wildlife Park. The only images of this taxon in the Zoochat gallery are of captive individuals in Australia.

Vogelkop Bowerbird (Amblyornis inornata) - this taxon was last held in 2007 at Jesperhus Feriepark. There are no images of this taxon in the Zoochat gallery.

Satin Bowerbird (Ptilonorhynchus violaceus) - this taxon was last held in 1990 at Diergaarde Blijdorp. The only images of this taxon in the Zoochat gallery are of captive and wild individuals in Australia.

Last edited: 17 Feb 2016
  14. vogelcommando

Just uploaded 2 pictures of the Crested jay in the Walsrode Gallery. During my time at Walsrode ( 1986 - 1989 ) we had a small group of this very intresting species.
    http://www.zoochat.com/142/crested-jay-430626/
    http://www.zoochat.com/142/crested-jay-430627/

About the Yucatan jay, in the Gallery there are only pictures of wild birds, at least as far as I could check it - I did however see at least one specimen in captivity in Mexico at the Merida Zoo.

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Nov 2015
  15. TeaLovingDave

Excellent :) as my most recent post has not hit the limit for images I will edit it to include one of those images.

Don't suppose you have any Bird-of-Paradise photos from your time at Walsrode?

16. vogelcommando

If I could turn back time........ this is what I often think when I see my "Walsrode photo-collection". Did take lots of photos from relative common species which had at that time my special intrest and didn't take photos of other - which I now regret ! No pictures of Birds of Paradise, none Spix macaws, no Yellow-eared conures and so on... :(.

17. gentle lemur

I have just posted this photo of a common wombat in the London Zoo Gallery.

[​IMG]

Plus historic photos of the giant panda Chi Chi and of apes at Chessington - which are strictly speaking off-topic for this thread.

Alan

Last edited by a moderator: 17 Feb 2016
  18. gentle lemur

I have been keeping my scanner warm. The first shots from my next batch.

Pallas's Sandgrouse at Chester 1986; this is the better of two images

[​IMG]

Cuban Conure at Birdworld 1981. Not listed for any European zoo at Zootierliste, but probably still held by some private aviculturalists.
    [​IMG]

More rarities to follow :)

Alan

Last edited by a moderator: 7 Feb 2016
  19. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Looks like grizzled leaf monkeys can be added to the list now sadly.

20. gentle lemur

Latest scans.

Gunther's Gecko at Jersey 1983

[​IMG]

Arabian Mountain Gazelle at Chester 1986 (not quite a lost species yet, but it's only a matter of time).

[​IMG]

Alan

Last edited by a moderator: 7 Feb 2016