Join our zoo community

Species you could have seen, but didn't

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by ralph, 5 Jul 2020.

1. ralph

ralph Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Inspired by the 'species you have seen' and 'species you haven't seen' threads, I figured it might be interesting to list the species we didn't see, but came very close to.

What I'm looking for here are species that have avoided you and instances of having bad luck with seeing certain species.

Examples
    - The species was a no-show. (You visited the enclosure, but the species was not showing itself)
    - The species is a free-roamer (for example in a tropical house) but you could not locate it.
    - The species was recently moved behind the scenes / taken off exhibit
    - The enclosure was currently empty because of maintenance, births, or other causes.
    - You missed the enclosure all together (perhaps it was at a well hidden location of the zoo, or because of time restrictions while visiting the zoo)

I'm NOT looking for species you haven't seen because it's permanently kept behind the scenes in a zoo you've visited, unless you also went behind the scenes and still did not see it.

Here's my list

Southern brown bandicoot (Isoodon obesulus) Arguably the most frustrating one because I missed this species when in Australia, so there's little possibility for me to try again.Species missed in both Taronga Zoo and the Sydney Wildlife during 3 visits, making up for a total of 4 missed opportunities.

Short-tailed opossum (Monodelphis domestica). No-show in Zoo Brno.

Four-eyed opossum (Philander opossum). No-show in Zoo Plzen and once more a few years later.

Hammer-headed bat (Hypsignathus monstrosus). Free-roaming in the Afrykarium in Zoo Wroclaw, but I did not manage to find them.

Red-and-white giant flying squirrel (Petaurista alborufus). A notorious no-show in Zoo Wroclaw. Only a handful of people were lucky enough to see it, but I was not amongst those people.

Siberian flying squirrel (Pteromys volans). A no-show in Zoo Plzen.

Panay bushy-tailed cloud rat (Crateromys heaneyi). Another notorious one. Missed it in London (like 99% of the people), missed in in Prague when it was still kept on-show there. And when visiting a behind the scenes area of Zoo Plzen, I missed it a third time.

African civet (Civettictis civetta). No-show at Dierenpark De Paay (Netherlands)

White-tailed mongoose (Ichneumia albicauda). No-show in Zoo Heidelberg (over 10 years ago but still hurts)

Iberian lynx (Lynx pardinus). A very frustrating no-show in Zoo Lisbon (they added the species to the collection shortly after my first visit to the city and the zoo, so I went back 2 years later. No lynx was out that day though and I visited the enclosure multiple times)

Nubian red-necked gazelle (Nanger dama ruficollis). Kept in a rotation enclosure in Zoo Dvur Kralove with sable antelopes. It wasn't out when I visited the enclosure (the sables were). Either it wasn't out at all that day, or only during the morning hours when I was visiting the other side of the zoo)

Nubian ibex (Capra nubiana). Missed it in Zoo Zurich in 2007 and then again in Poznan Nowe Zoo in 2018.

Blyth's hawk-eagle (Nisaetus alboniger). Missed it in Dusit Zoo Bangkok because of my own fault. I missed the enclosure...

Grey Hypocolius (Hypocolius ampelinus). Missed in it Zoo Plzen. The zoo has a great collection of rare birds, but they often move around between enclosures as well as the behind the scenes area, so every visit there's different species to be seen. During my last visit, I didn't see this species anywhere even though it was supposed to be on public display at that time and had recently been seen.

Those were the most frustrating ones for me. Some others;

Blue-tailed Imperial-Pigeon (Ducula concinna). No-show in Zoo Prague
    Great cuckoo-dove (Reinwardtoena reinwardti). No-show in Birdpark Walsrode
    Ruddy quail-dove (Geotrygon montana). No-show in Birdpark Walsrode
    Thick-billed ground pigeon (Trugon terrestris). No-show in Birdpark Walsrode / Tierpark Berlin
    Large fig parrot (Psittaculirostris desmarestii). No-show in Birdpark Walsrode
    Yellow-mantled widowbird (Euplectes macroura). No-show in Birdpark Walsrode

Barbour's map turtle (Graptemys barbouri) (No-show in Dvur Kralove)
    Tree runner (Plica plica) (No-show in London)
    Zebra-tailed lizard (Callisaurus draconoides) (No-show in Prague)
    Golden fish-scaled gecko (Geckolepis maculata) (No-show in Plzen)
    Blue-tailed day gecko (Phelsuma cepediana) (No-show in Opole)
    Reunion Island day gecko (Phelsuma borbonica) (No-show in Plzen)
    Réunion day gecko (Phelsuma inexpectata) (No-show in Plzen)
    Speckled day gecko (Phelsuma guttata) (No-show in Plzen)
    Chinese cage gecko (Goniurosaurus luii) (No-show in Koln)
    Crocodile skink (Tribolonotus gracilis) (Wroclaw, enclosure under construction)
    West Canary skink (Chalcides viridanus) (No-show in Wroclaw)
    Bronze mabuya (Eutropis macularia) (No-show in Koln)
    Ornate girdled lizard (Zonosaurus ornatus) (No-show in Wroclaw)
    Madagascar keeled cordylid (Tracheloptychus madagascariensis) (No-show in Plzen)
    Percival´s Legless skink (Acontias percivali) (No-show in Prague)
    Borneon earless monitor (Tribolonotus gracilis) (No-show in Prague)
    Rainer Günther’s monitor (Varanus rainerguentheri) (Koln, saw only the tip of its tail)
    New Guinea ground boa (Candoia aspera) (No-show in Koln)

Eastern newt (Notophthalmus viridescens) (No-show in Opole)
    Vietnam crocodile newt (Tylototriton vietnamensis) (No-show inKoln)
    Solomon island leaf frog (Cornufer guentheri) (Wroclaw, enclosure under construction)
    Ankafana bright-eyed frog (Boophis luteus) (No-show in Plzen)
    Betsileo reed frog (Heterixalus betsileo) (No-show in Plzen)
    Green mantella (Mantella viridis) (No-show in Plzen)
    Baron's mantella (Mantella baroni) (No-show in Paris Zoo)

There's probably a lot more I'm forgetting.

Hope to see some lists from other zoochatters.

2. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Not sure if it counts, but I've looked for wild European Goldfinches at supposedly "reliable" spots and have failed every time. I would say the same for Virginia Rails had I not seen one today for the first time.

Great Argus likes this.
  3. Dhole dude

Dhole dude Well-Known Member

One animal I could have seen was when I went to the San Diego zoo I was excited to se an eye-eye lemur but sadly it was a no show. I was really disappointed but I bet I’ll see one eventually.

4. ralph

That's a terrible species to miss out on. I've seen it in 3 out of 3 zoos I visited that hold/held them (Frankfurt, London, Berlin) so I consider myself lucky in that regard as it's nowhere near a guarantee to see them. I heard they're especially easy to miss in London.

5. HungarianBison

HungarianBison Well-Known Member

My list
    Malayan bear: I wasn't find the enclosure in Sóstó
    Goitered gazelle: I looked for them in bad place (Szeged)
    Bat-eared fox: was a no-show in Szeged
    Chinese water deer: was a no-show in Szeged
    Chimpanzee: was in off-show (Győr)
    Howler monkey: was a no-show in Szeged
    Maned wolf: was a no-show in Szeged

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

The one that comes immediately to mind for me (probably because it was the most recent) was Spix's Macaw at Jurong - multiple returns to the aviary provided no joy.

The other one I remember doesn't really count except for that specific visit, but I went to Taronga Zoo a few years ago anticipating being able to see three species of monotreme in one day - but unbelievably I couldn't manage to see Platypus or Short-beaked Echidna, so had to settle just for the Long-beaked Echidna. I've seen both the missed species on previous and later occasions, but in terms of that visit and the potential of seeing all three "at once" it was a real shame to miss them.

7. ThatOneZooGuy

ThatOneZooGuy Well-Known Member

Here’s my list, all are from San Diego Zoo and San Diego Safari Park.

-Bonobo: Definitely The most frustrating as I have still yet to see Bonobos or Chimpanzees and at San Diego they were temporary off exhibit the day I went.

-Spot Necked Otter

-Patas Monkey

8. ralph

I saw Spix' macaw at Pairi Daiza, did not visit Jurong.

The platypus was a no-show for me as well in Taronga back in 2008.
    Long-beaked echidna was behind the scenes back then and is a species I therefor have never seen.
    I'm pretty sure I did see the short-beaked echidna that day though.

9. ralph

Chimpanzees are kinda uninteresting to me. Bonobos a little less so, but neither are species I'd pay much attention to when I see them. Meanwhile, you're still waiting for a chance to see them.
    How common are they in the sates? Especially chimps are very common in Europe.

ThatOneZooGuy likes this.
  10. RatioTile

RatioTile Well-Known Member

I keep missing bat-eared fox and ringtail. Also, I couldn't find the American Badger exhibit at LA Zoo.

11. MonkeyBat

MonkeyBat Well-Known Member

My personal list, I'll add more if I remember any

Sea Otter - Minnesota Zoo: I was quite bummed to not be able to see this one. When I asked a keeper where they were she said they had certain rotational times or something like that. I came back at the end of the day and they still were not out.

Wolverine - Minnesota Zoo: Another no show who was either hiding or off display

Tarsier - Ueno Zoo: My great aunt went with us to Japan a few years ago. She has a fear of rodents and bats, so naturally we had to rush through the small mammal house.

Clouded Leopard - Nashville Zoo: Another no-show. I loved this zoo but a lot of the rarities (palm civets for instance) are off display.

Peppermint Angelfish - Waikiki Aquarium: I was pretty interested in these fish when I read the pamphlet for the aquarium, but unfortunately I could not find what tank they lived in.

Bonobo - San Diego Zoo: Just like @ThatOneZooGuy except I totally forgot they were at the zoo and only noticed when I left.

Birds of Paradise - Honolulu Zoo: No show (I did see a Raggiana one at Miami though)

12. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Quite a few unfortunately, but some notables...

Maleo: SDZ, despite looking specifically for the hidden aviaries I couldn't find it.

Harpy/Ornate Hawk Eagles: SDZ viewing boardwalk was being redone when I visited so they were offshow.

Pygmy Hippo: SDZ, missed the right path, also costing me Carmine Bee-eater.

Gaboon Viper: skipped the exhibit at Woodland Park in 2016, missed again 2 years later at SDZ.

Aye-aye: never took the tour at SF to see them before they left. Missed again at SDZ.

Ringed Seal: SeaWord SD, unfortunately was nowhere to be seen during my visit.

Chambered Nautilus: Signed but nowhere to be seen at SeaWorld SD. Tentacles was closed for maintenance/minor renovations at MBA during my visit...

Wonderpus: Same reason as Nautilus at MBA...

Lowland Anoa: Point Defiance, nowhere to be seen in any of the rotational exhibits. (Siamangs were the only visible species in the rotational exhibits that visit.)

Musk Ox: Point Defiance, nowhere to be seen.

Hipporex and ThatOneZooGuy like this.
  13. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Chimps aren't too common the US but they aren't exactly rare either. Bonobos are quite rare, though.

Last edited: 5 Jul 2020
  14. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I tired a few times to see the hairy-eared dwarf lemur at Paris Vincennes.

My other miss was an ajotle at Frankfurt Zoo.

15. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

A what now?

16. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

My hunch would be he means a worm lizard, though it's usually spelled ajolotes.

17. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Milky Storks at Audubon
    I wasn't able to get to the zoo prior to 2016 when they did the upgrades to the elephant exhibit and the Asian Domain. I visited last September and they were all at the Species Survival Center with the Amur Leopards taking over their former exhibit. I had considered reaching out and emailing the studbook keeper, but with the AZA meetings taking place the same time I was there and the limited duration I was in NOLA, I thought there was a good chance it wouldn't happen so I focused going to the zoo instead to see the Barasinghas and Maguari Storks.

Hooded Cranes at Philadelphia
    I went to the Philadelphia Zoo multiple times and never knew they had Hooded Cranes in their collection until I saw a YouTube video with them in it. Later I found that their exhibit used to be next to the Pachyderm House right next to Big Cat Falls behind the life-sized rhino statue.

Extinct/Vanishing Species Room at the Musee National D'Histoire Naturelle in Paris
    I had primarily visited the Grand Gallery of Evolution to see Siam the Asian Elephant & King Louis XV's Indian Rhino which lived at Versailles. Unfortunately, I had no idea of the room of extinct and vanishing species which also houses one of the last Bluebuck mounts as well as Marie Antoinette's clock until I looked through the souvenir guidebook later once I got back home.

18. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The nocturnal house was closed when I visited Taronga Zoo.

19. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I don't think I could have coped with that.. I had a similar experience at Paira Daiza and was getting very anxious until they were finally out on the third time around- phew.

20. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have some overlapping ones ;)

My biggest frustration is probably Panay Cloud Rats. I have missed the species in London, Plzen and Prague. It was off-show in 3 of 4 visits to these zoos, and on my last visit to Prague it decided to hide in its box all day.

A species I have missed on many occasions too is Siberian Flying Squirrel being a no show in Plzen, Jihlava, Schönebeck and Dresden...

Iberian Lynx is also a painful misser, as it was basically the only reason to visit the Lisbon Zoo. Other misses from include Striped Chevrotain in Singapore (off-show), Broad-striped Vontsira in Magdeburg (enclosure not reachable due to COVID-19 regulations) and Goodman's Mouse Lemur in multiple places.

I have also managed to miss the whole small mammal section of the Brehm house in TP Berlin on my first visit in 2007, when it still existed. That did cost me some mammals, but given everything I did see that day, it still doesn't feel as a big miss.