Join our zoo community

Species you could have seen, but didn't

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by ralph, 5 Jul 2020.

1. Yoshistar888

Yoshistar888 Well-Known Member

Way too many.

Firstly when I went to DAK there were a TONS of species I missed, American Crocodiles were a no show, as were a majority of the Savannah animals. Because I hadn’t fully grasped my passion for animals yet, I skipped over the aviarys, this proved to be one of the worst decisions of my life. Add in the fact that Rafikis Planet Watch was not running that day turned into a day full of missed opportunities. I also glanced over other attractions such as the Aquarium in Epcot.

Secondly are missed zoos in the USA, namely Central Park and/or Bronx.

It doesn’t help that I haven’t been to Queensland since 2013 so I barely remember SeaWorld or Currumbin only taking from photos and foggy memories.

Melbourne Zoo used to have such a collection and unfortunately I’ve only seen the current collection as well as a few of the older animals that have moved on, however I had missed an overwhelming majority of the ‘older animals’, ranging from European Badger to Caracal, to Razor Billed Cussarows, Persian Leopards and at least another 40 or so.

Of the animals (exotics) that have departed the zoo I had only seen, Brazilian Tapir, White Nosed Coati, Black Capped Capuchin, Emerald Tree Boa, Veiled Chameleon, Mandrill, Bongo, Syrian Brown Bear, Plumed Baskilisk, Forest Cobra, Mute Swan and a few others.

Tigergal likes this.
  2. ralph

ralph Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think the Panay Cloud Rat is on almost everyone's list.

Do you mean the outdoor section next to the ABH? Those cages which used to hold ratel, civet, caracal etc..? Or did the building itself actually use to have an section with small mammals? I don't remember it being there in 2013/14 so it must have been gone by then.

3. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They used to keep a range of small mammals, as in rodents, bats, hedgehogs & opossums on the upper floor of the ABH. But that has been gone since the Blaskiewitz era renovation of the ABH around 10 years ago.

4. AWP

AWP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think I missed quite a number of small/nocturnal mammals leaving the old style Nocturnal House of Zoo Berlin after just a few exhibits because it was very crowdy.

On the upper floor was a section for small mammals. I remember seeing gundis and short-eared elephant shrews in 2005 and a couple of rat/mouse species in 2011. These small mammals more of less moved to the Dickhäuterhaus later on, but in the early years of this century the collection was far more diverse. According to the guidebook of 2005, short-eared opossums, kowaris and hedgehogs were among the species kept, but those I didn't see.

5. ralph

ralph Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks, I didn't know that. Opossums sounds pretty sweet. 2 out of 3 species have evaded me so far (see my original post). The only species I've seen is Virginia. All it took was a trip across the Atlantic Ocean... Oh well, did see some pretty sweet marsupials in Australia so shouldn't complain.

6. AWP

AWP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have trouble with opossums as well. I might have seen a short-eared opossum in the old style Nocturama of Antwerpen, but I'm not sure. No-shows in TP Berlin and Plzen for short-eared, the Virginia opossums of Leipzig had already died when I visited Gondwana...

So, when close by Texel Zoo got opossums I was delighted but it was almost a big deception. After a bit problematic trip they were nowhere to see. I asked a keeper and he got them out of their sleeping boxes, so it was a happy end after all!

On the other hand, just like you I've seen a fair share of Australian marsupials, so I shouldn't complain.

7. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

To be more precise, after the aforementioned renovation finished in early 2014 just before my first visit, the tanks for the small mammal area in question *did* briefly return (as I saw them there empty and awaiting their occupants when I visited) but when Knieriem took over he instructed the tanks be removed and plans to reinstate the small mammal area were cancelled.

8. Jakub

Jakub Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was lucky enough to see Panay Cloud Rats in Plzen multiple times.My advice for everyone - when the Covid is over, try to contact the spokesman of Plzen Zoo, I'm pretty sure he would be willing to arrange a small bts tour and you would get the opportunity to see the rats along with white-tailed antsangy and other rarities.
    Jakub

ZooBinh likes this.
  9. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

I can't think of any species at zoos particularly, but one animal that comes to mind as being a bit of a frustration is when I tried to see wild Iberian wolves in Northern Spain.

Although I saw other species such as brown bear, european wild cat, chamois, alpine choughs I never did get a glimpse of a wolf (though I heard them and found their tracks , scat and the carcasses of their prey).

Tigergal likes this.
  10. Giant Eland

Giant Eland Well-Known Member 10+ year member

From @zooman 's "How did I miss that!!!!" thread in Nov, 2012 I wrote:
    1st the good news! 2020 Update: 9/15 have since been seen!

4. Hog Badger- Seen at Singapore Night Safari, Pata Zoo & Batu Secret Zoo
    5. Bush Pig- Seen at Shadow Nursery
    6. Richardson's Ground Squirrel- Seen at private collection in Michigan
    8. Nigerian White-throated Guenon- Seen (albeit a different subspecies) at Monkey World
    10. Plains viscacha- Seen at Temaiken & Schönebeck
    12. Mechow’s Mole Rat- Seen at Peoria Zoo
    13. Bolivian hairy armadillo- Seen at Huachipa
    14. Colocolo- Seen at Sorocaba Zoo
    15. Silky anteater- Seen at Huachipa

But of course I've added more near misses- here is what my current list looks like:

1.) Greater Glider (David Fleay WP) Waited a little for this guy to come into view, didn’t show himself. Was kinda in a time crunch to make a flight later in the day, and I was pretty sure Greater Glider’s were kept at some of the other Zoos I was going to. I was sorely wrong.
    2.) Long-beaked Echidna (Taronga Zoo) Visited in 2007 while they were off exhibit. Spoke to a keeper about seeing them off exhibit, but it was pretty impossible because they’re nocturnal and sleep underground.
    3.) Leadbeater’s Possum (Toronto Zoo, Healesville) Went to Toronto Zoo twice while they had them. First time I was too young to care/didn’t have a decent camera. 2nd time looked for it, but didn’t ask any keepers (turns out it was off exhibit). I regularly ask for off-exhibit species now. Also just missed these at Healesville Sanctuary, seems like they had them before 2007 and a couple years after.
    4.) Long-nosed bandicoot (Taronga Zoo) Spent a lot of time in the nocturnal house when I visited in 2007 but this species never showed.
    5.) Short-eared Rock Wallaby (Perth Zoo) Attempted to set up a behind the scenes opportunity for weeks before I arrived to no avail. Finally on the day of (my birthday, no less!) Spoke to a PR woman in person but couldn't manage to set anything up. I've always have better luck speaking with keepers directly.
    6.) Makassar tarsier (Taman Safari) Off exhibit.
    7.) Bornean Clouded Leopard (Taman Safari)- Normally on exhibit, but temporarily off exhibit for breeding purposes.
    8.) Javan Warty Pig (Taman Safari)- Off exhibit. Didn't leave myself enough time in Indonesia to visit other zoos that feature the species. I'll definitely have to go back!
    9.) Bay Cat (Taman Safari) As you can see Taman Safari- while providing some much welcomed additions to my life list has also dealt me the biggest blow. All 4 of these species were off exhibit when I visited, and apparently Indonesian collections are very wary of allowing any behind the scenes experiences. That mixed with the people I had contacted being on vacation at the time led to an unfortunate result.
    10.) Siau Island tarsier (Ragunan Zoo) Off exhibit- requested but not allowed access.
    11.) Gorontalo macaque (Ragunan Zoo)
    12.) Natua Island surili (Ragunan Zoo) The biggest mistake I've personally made in a while. Both the macaque and surili were on exhibit at a different primate section of the zoo instead of the at the Schmutzer Primate Centre (were I spent the bulk of my time, hoping to get behind the scenes) Mix in extreme heat, lack of sleep, and limited time at this gigantic zoo (I had a flight to catch) I completely missed out on 2 lifers! Again gotta go back to Indonesia!!!
    13.) Nilgiri Langur (Erfurt) Traveled to 3 Zoos in one day. Wildpark Leipzig, Leipzig Zoo, and Erfurt Zoo. I arrived at the later at about 5pm with hardly any time to spare and no one that spoke English. Desperately tried to find the Nilgiri Langur exhibit with no such luck. I think they were in a cage within the walk-through Barbary Macaque exhibit, but that was closed off. I contemplated climbing into it, but decided I probably wouldn’t be able to get back out haha.
    14.) Greater dwarf lemur (Zurich) Same day I visited Mulhouse Zoo, I drove to Zurich Zoo arriving about 2pm. Tried to find a nocturnal exhibit for this lemur until realizing that the 1 specimen of this species outside of Madagascar is kept in a diurnal gigantic walk through Madagascan forest exhibit. Complete needle in a haystack. I wasted so much time looking for this that I didn’t leave time for the next guy on the list.
    15.) Purple-faced langur (Singapore Zoo) Off exhibit, request denied.
    16.) Thomas's pygmy jerboa (Beijing Zoo) Despite visiting this exhibit numerous times throughout the day, and even having a keeper put some food out- the animal never showed.
    17.) Indochinese flying squirrel (Pata Zoo) Animal never showed out from its nest box.
    18.) Key Largo Wood Rat (Disney’s Animal Kingdom) Off exhibit, request denied.
    19.) Nilgiri Tahr (San Diego Zoo & Wild Animal Park) This species I've probably seen from the monorail at the Wild Animal Park back in the 80s or 90s but I don't have any photographic proof. Didn't realize they were kept off exhibit at the Zoo until long after they were gone. I've tried to set up a visit to the one private facility in the US that still keeps the animal but to no avail. May end up having to go back to India for them!

11. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Dead now, too.

12. RatioTile

RatioTile Well-Known Member

I think important lessons when going to a zoo are to 1) make a list of target species beforehand 2) negotiate behind the scenes tours with curators and admins before going, if possible, and 3) be patient and return to an exhibit several times over the course of the day if the animal is missing, asleep, or at a bad angle for photography.

For example, at the Osaka Kaiyukan I returned to a tank 5 times waiting for a Giant Hawkfish to move out in the open from hiding next to the tank wall.

Mo Hassan and Giant Eland like this.
  13. Giant Eland

Yes! Unfortunately I saw that recently! Although given the exhibit the animal was kept it- it would’ve been near impossible to photograph anyways.

14. Giant Eland

Absolutely! Great advice @RatioTile

I’ve long followed all 3 of these steps. I would add always give yourself more time than you expect. Sometimes this is easier said than done. I often pack my zoo trips to include as many stops as humanly possible to maximize species seen. This inevitably leads to some gut-punches.

15. RatioTile

On zoo trips I tend to do 1 zoo/aquarium per day; on rare occasions 2 max if they're small, and take my time touring the buildings at least twice over each. Then at night I visit pet and aquarium stores, historic sights, and places of cultural importance.

16. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Cirrhites rivulatus? MBA's was quite visible both days I visited.

17. Davdhole

Davdhole Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A few come to mind, some I've seen since, others I still haven't.

Snow leopard- Chattanooga Zoo. It was a hot day, but I didn't want to leave without at least trying, so I went by probably 3-4 times and waited a bit. No-show and have yet to see a cat.

My first 3 or 4 visits to Zoo Miami, I missed the African wild dogs, koalas, tree kangaroo, singing dogs, and many more simply because the zoo is so large so there were areas and exhibits I didn't even know about. My latest visit, early June of 2019, I saw all mentioned species, plus the rare dog in my pfp.

I did miss a species at Miami that day though. It was a rotation exhibit for aardvark and cape porcupine. The porcupine was out when I got there.

Atlas moth at the Tennessee Aquarium butterfly house. I looked through the foliage the best I could, but no-show. Have yet to see one.

My first few visits to DAK, the sable antelope were hiding. Disney and Miami gave me some good sightings of the antelope lately, however.

Polar bear at Seaworld Orlando. He passed of heart problems if I can remember correctly.

Another Chattanooga miss I just remembered. Praire dogs. I believe they were hiding in their dens to escape the heat.

That's all that comes to mind.

18. RatioTile

I haven’t been to Monterey Bay Aquarium yet.

19. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Was more of a note than anything. ;)

20. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Some of my list:

Volcano rabbit—The biggest reason to visit Nagoya Higashiyama zoo, but unfortunately it is a no-show.

Snow leopard—Both Nagoya and Tama have this species, but one of them is a no-show and the other I can only see half a tail

Ocelot—Yokohama zoorasia have this species, but it is offshow.

Brown hornbill—I was told that Jurong have them at the “hornbill talk”, but when I visit the keeper take an Oriental Pied Hornbill out.

Hog badger—Unfortunately miss them at Night safari

Spotted chevoratin—Not sure if they are still in the collection when I visit, but it was signed in the Flying squirrel aviary.(Night safari)

Javan luntung—Unfortunately the whole primate kingdom is on renovation when I visit Singapore zoo

Maned wolf—Miss them at Ueno, and if you managed to see them in River safari you get my honour.

Red howler monkey—Again, if you managed to see them in River Safari then you’re probably cheating.

Goeldi’s monkey—I’m pretty sure they are in Singapore, but I miss the exhibit.

African fish eagle—Definitely not complaining as it replacement is Philippine eagle, but still a miss.

Jungle Man and Great Argus like this.