Join our zoo community

Species you could have seen, but didn't

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by ralph, 5 Jul 2020.

1. RatioTile

RatioTile Well-Known Member

@aardvark250 for the Guyanan red howlers I had to arrange with their keeper for him to go train and feed them in the front of the enclosure so I could do a photo shoot of him with them. If you ask nicely maybe someone will help you out, but if everyone who went there requested this, that would be annoying for the keepers.

2. RatioTile

RatioTile Well-Known Member

Oh, two more creatures I’m missing from Okinawa Zoo and Museum are Kishinoue’s giant skink (hiding, and I got denied behind the scenes access to see other individuals), and Ryukyu long-tailed giant rat (sleeping in nest boxes, exhibit had no reverse lighting).

3. Mo Hassan

Mo Hassan Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Ones that come to mind for me are:

Cape genet (Antwerp Zoo)
    Plains viscacha (Antwerp Zoo)
    Least weasel (Wildwood)
    European mink (Opel Zoo)
    Gharial (Pairi Daiza and Zoo Berlin)

4. ralph

ralph Well-Known Member 10+ year member

How did you miss the gharials in Pairi Daiza? Missed the enclosure itself?

5. Mo Hassan

Kind of... I got to the reptile house minutes after it closed :(

6. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I am more amazed someone could miss the gharials at Berlin!

Mo Hassan likes this.
  7. Mo Hassan

Lol, well that was because when I visited a few years ago, one room of the reptile house was closed. I guess I have bad luck with gharials!

8. ralph

ralph Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If I recall correctly you also should be able to see them from the ground floor through the underwater viewing panels. That is of course, assuming the gharials are in the water.

9. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'd advise a trip to Prague. I visited just after the zoo received gharials and there were lots of signposts pointing towards the exhibit - a rare case of gharialophilia

Giant Eland likes this.
  10. Mo Hassan

Yeah, tried that, but no luck. Still, much has changed since then and as soon as it's safe to travel, I'm sure to head back to Berlin.

Thanks for the tip! Prague and Plzen are on my next "planned" trip to Germany/Czechia, which was to happen in May this year but got postponed for some reason ;)

11. Dhole dude

Dhole dude Well-Known Member

Last year when I when to the San Diego zoo safari park, I was ready to se the only platypuses in the United States, but I was ONE WEEK OF from when they where put on exhibit. I was really disappointed, but I hope I can come back someday and see them. And the pangolins

Tigergal and Giant Eland like this.
  12. Dassie rat

A few days after I visited Tsimbazaza Zoo in Madagascar, another couple went there and claimed to see a monkey that lived in Madagascar. This may have been a macaque and may have been placed in the zoo from outside Madagascar, but I haven't heard of any monkeys living in Madagascar.

Jungle Man likes this.
  13. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

You'd need a time machine for pangolin at SD!

Giant Eland likes this.
  14. Dassie rat

Dr Who and the Pangolins. Sounds good

Mo Hassan and Giant Eland like this.
  15. Luke da Zoo nerd

Luke da Zoo nerd Well-Known Member

I am not sure if this is eligible for this thread but he first time I went to the Cincinnati zoo I went virtually a month after the last Sumatran rhino at the zoo went back to Sumatra :(.

16. Dhole dude

Dhole dude Well-Known Member

1. If you didn’t know SD zoo is going to get pangolins next year for a new exhibit for the children’s zoo. I just wanted to see the pangolins at the new children’s zoo

Giant Eland likes this.
  17. iluvwhales

iluvwhales Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Aye-aye (Philadelphia, Cincinnati, and Cleveland): No-show at Philadelphia and Cincinnati. At Cleveland, my class trip group didn't have time to get to the Primate, Cat, and Aquatics building where the aye-ayes live. Still haven't seen an aye-aye yet.

Sumatran rhino (Cincinnati): I first found out about Cincinnati Zoo's Sumatran rhinos (and as a result became obsessed with all things zoo) when I was about twelve. Ever since then, I've always wanted to see them. In 2015, news broke that the last one they had (also the last in the Western Hemisphere and captivity in general) would be going to Indonesia to partake in a breeding program there. I talked a lot about how I wanted to go there, but nothing ever came of it. Maybe it could have happened, maybe not, but I'll always think about what could have been...

Short-beaked echidna (Philadelphia): Maybe he was there when I went, or maybe it was a rock. But I wasn't certain I saw an echidna. My luck changed for the better a few years later when I went to the Brookfield Zoo and saw one for the first time.

Brown kiwi (National Zoo, Bronx Zoo): maybe they're always right in front of my face, but I can never really see them no matter how long I spend there. Still haven't really seen a kiwi.

18. AWP

AWP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That's good to know and something positive out of the COVID-19 crisis for me: if I can do my cancelled trip of May/June to the southwestern USA next year, I might see pangolins at San Diego (and maybe the reopened Hummingbird House as well).

19. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The biggest one that I've missed....I've denied it the past few years and such just to make me feel better I guess :p. One of my big regrets in life.

Sumatran Rhino, when I came around to Wildlife Canyon that day, Harapan was unfortunately a no-show :(. Well then, I'll just have to hop over to Sumatra and try my luck with the SRS :p!

20. OstrichMania

OstrichMania Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Spotted Hyena. Longleat showed us the exhibit in the morning as they were usually 'very active' then. Though unfortunately, they were a no-show. Oh, and Kinkajous at Longleat again too.