Join our zoo community

Species you hate to see in zoos

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by animalszoos, 9 Mar 2017.

1. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Another problem with domestics is that zoos typically portray them in the idealistic and picturesque setting of a country farm. If they really wanted to be taken seriously as the animal welfare organizations they claim to be, they would use the opportunity to have educational graphics about the issues of factory farming. (Thankfully at least here in USA the general public is finally turning around on this issue, though I think zoos could have helped speed up the process).

SealPup and Giant Panda like this.
  2. Kawekaweau

Kawekaweau Well-Known Member

I like some "exotic" domesticated species, like water buffalo, camels, Bali cattle (domestic banteng), even guineafowl and yak and some rare cattle breeds (Watusi and Zebu). Jacob sheep are interesting if only for their extra horns.

As for those I don't like seeing, basically only just the "unethical" ones like cetaceans, big cat hybrids and detrimental color morphs like white lions and tigers.

3. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Funny that earlier today I posted about USA attitudes on factory farming. I just returned from dinner with a friend at my favorite Mexican restaurant downtown and their menu now states (for the first time) free range chicken. (Sorry to derail - we now return this thread to its intended use).

SealPup likes this.
  4. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As mentioned earlier, hate might be a strong word but I, too, get annoyed with the amount of Meerkats around. Especially at Edinburgh!

Super common species like Oriental Small-Clawed Otter, Golden Lion Tamarin, and Ring-Tailed Lemur can be annoying to see after a while, but we must not forget that some species like that are highly endangered in the wild so really their commonality is a great thing.

While I don't hate domestics in zoos inherently, as with others I very much dislike when they're mixed in with actual wild species. The worst example of that here in America is the Domestic Bactrian Camel, which is often advertised as being a highly endangered species. Cincinnati Zoo even goes as far as skimping out on space for their Sichuan Takin and Przewalski's Wild Horse (which you think they'd give more attention to since they were the first US zoo with them...) in order to run their breeding program for the camels.

~Thylo

5. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Not normally done here in UK, where the distinction is usually made between the two, though one Zoo (I forget where-Blackpool I think) did quite recently trumpet a (domestic) Bactrian Camel birth on exactly that ticket.

6. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@Pertinax it was indeed Blackpool, WSMP have also done the same thing as well.

7. Alex Bensky

Alex Bensky Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Detroit Zoo has a pair of bald eagles, but they were injured in the wild and would not survive elsewhere.

We also have Amphibiville, a center for amphibian conservation. I won't say I hate to see it, and I understand it does important conservation work, but in all the years we've had it and all the times I've been there, I'm just not able to summon up much interest in amphibians.

LowlandGorilla4 likes this.
  8. Falanouc

Falanouc Well-Known Member

Although I have never personally seen a cetacean in captivity, I really don't feel comfortable with it at all. I also have my reservations about keeping great apes in captivity.

There aren't really any animals that I 'hate' to see in zoos. There are some that I dislike though -

. although I enjoy watching pinnipeds in captivity, I'm often appalled by the tiny enclosures that they are kept in. There should be way more space to swim around. So while I like watching them, I do feel uncomfortable about it.

. I don't really like seeing owls in captivity. All the ones I've seen are just pent up in some tiny cage. The same with many birds of prey, although I admit that for conservation purposes I feel comfortable about it.

. I get quite tired of seeing big charismatic megafauna, particularly lions. Zoos should be about conservation, and I always ask myself, if this animal being here isn't serving a good purpose other than to entertain and 'educate'* people, why is it here?

*I say that because many zoos I go to don't seem to do a great deal of education, and many people never stop to read signage, particularly the impressionable younger generation. The most educational parts of the zoo are talks.

JigerofLemuria likes this.
  9. SealPup

SealPup Well-Known Member

I'm not tired of ABC zoo fauna or its mini zoo equivalents. I am tired of exhibits that waste potential. As much as I admire big cats they lie down or pace in most zoos: though they can be done better.

I get annoyed by mixed exhibits though I love the concept. Too often they knowingly mix incompatible species: SLWAP is by no means the worst. Tapir have killed capybaras in mixed exhibits but for some reason SLWAP is uniquely awful? Aviaries and aquaria are the worst.

10. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Falanouc quote: "I get quite tired of seeing big charismatic megafauna, particularly lions. Zoos should be about conservation, and I always ask myself, if this animal being here isn't serving a good purpose other than to entertain and 'educate'* people, why is it here?"

I agree with you about this. I get tired of so many zoos having large, new enclosures for lions and tigers, while critically endangered small cats are ignored. Similarly, great apes are prioritised, while many critically endangered monkeys lose out. Why does practically every zoo I visit have meerkats, while other mongoose species are very rarely kept? I wish some zoos would be more honest and admit that they kept some species purely for financial reasons and not for educational or conservation purposes. It would be better to conserve many species of big charismatic megafauna in the wild, rather than having thousands of captive individuals that will never be released into the wild and occupy space that could have been occupied by smaller species, which could breed and be released into the wild.

Crowthorne and ThylacineAlive like this.
  11. Vision

Vision Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well, often a zoo keeping animals for "financial reasons" is necessary to be able to fund "educational or conservation purposes." If a zoo can't attract enough visitors (which is most easily done by providing popular, charismatic species the general public is familiar with) to become more relevant and financially stable, how can they ever even consider focusing on conservation?

Don't get me wrong, I definitely have similar uninterested feelings when passing by exhibits for ABC species, but I understand why they're prioritized; the public prefers them, and thus zoos are more likely to grow and contribute in conservation if they have them.

Last edited: 17 Mar 2017
  12. ThylacineAlive

SLWAP is uniquely awful because it's the bears that kill the Capybara and other species in the enclosure, not the tapirs. To me, the worst kind of mixed exhibit is one that mixes predator and prey :p ;)

~Thylo

13. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Interesting thread. I'll chime in as best as I can to the conversation. There isn't any animal I hate seeing in zoos. I'm not a big fan of domestic species but I do think they have a place in zoos for the benefit of city kids who don't get to see domestic species. I'll admit I find exotic domestics intriguing but am iffy on them being mixed with wild species. As far as exhibiting species like domesticated water buffalo, Bactrian camels, and yaks, those do have a place in a zoo. The wild specimens are difficult to come by and the domesticated stand ins could be used to show the public the plight of their wild counterparts. One question I have is where dromedaries would be exhibited since they only exist as a domesticated species.

I do find wing clipped birds a bit unpalatable. Birds of prey especially seem deprived of a lot of natural behavior if they are wing clipped. Flamingos, waterfowl, and parrots may be less affected but I don't know.

The ABC species are important as they do bring crowds in. The situation can be remedied by using those as a sort of "anchor species" in my opinion. For example, a species like a zebra that is well-known to the public can be featured in an area with other African species like lesser-known antelope species.

As far as strange color variations, I have to admit I do like seeing white tigers. These could have an educational value in a zoo.

The only thing I truly hate seeing in zoos is animals in substandard enclosures.

JigerofLemuria likes this.
  14. animalszoos

animalszoos Well-Known Member

Do you have any other examples of predator and prey mixed exhibits?

15. animalszoos

animalszoos Well-Known Member

Remember the Rare Species Conservation Centre in Kent? They only had lesser known species and had to shut down because of financial problems.
    I think if all zoos focused on lesser known species, there would be fewer visitors and therefore less money to go to conservation and other related issues.

16. SealPup

SealPup Well-Known Member

I doubt this was predation by the bears - they are vegetarian in much of their range. Does the diet differ by population because of a gene like in humans and wall lizards? Or is it learned? Either way it would be nice to know the origin of any Tremarctos in zoos that have exhibited predatory behaviours.

Honestly I didn't know about the capybaras because ppl just mention the tapir incident: other zoos actually do keep SBs in mixed exhibits. Again it would be nice to know the successes, failures and incidents.

17. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There are actualy very few animals I dislike to see at zoos but there are 2 exeptions :
    First of all rats and mice and then I don't mean the ones which are living wild on the zoo-grounds. At Aqua-zoo Leeuwarden a Brown rat passing our way in the park was actualy one of the high-ligths of the visit and I loved to watch for a while a small family of voles at Mondo Verde ! The ones I dislike are the ones living IN the enclosures of other animals esp. aviaries.
    In the time I still was a zoo-keeper, it realy was a pain to keep these rodents out of the cages !
    The second group I dislike are the strange color-mutations of esp. birds and herptiles. If a zoo want to display boas, pythons, estrilds and parakeets, please show your audience the natural-coloured forms, not the albinos, pied-balls, pink, white-faced cinnamous and so on !

18. ThylacineAlive

Well still at South Lakes there used to be pacas in with the Giant Otters until they all were eaten. Edinburgh once claimed they could keep European Ground Squirrel and Meerkat together successfully- it did not pan out. A South American zoo keeps Capybara and caiman together I believe, though I forget which collection. I can't really think of any other examples off the top of my head, though.

@SealPup it was predation from the bears :p

~Thylo

Last edited: 18 Mar 2017
  19. ThylacineAlive

While I certainly agree with you that most zoos cannot focus simply on oddities, if memory serves RSCC closed for a combination of reasons, one of which was more bad business decisions than people not visiting.

Hamerton is a good example of a smaller zoo which focuses on oddities. They really only have maybe four heavy hitters for the public: Cheetah, tiger, zebra, and some lemurs. I'd imagine the tigers are really the only ones that'd get visitors through the doors on their own, though. Aside from that, most of the animals are lesser known species and they seem to do very well.

I'd like to see more zoos try to do more of a mix between ABCs and oddities. For instance, zoo visitors love otters, but there are other species out there besides ASCO and NARO. Visitors often expect antelope and gazelles in African exhibits, yet many places exhibit the same few species when there's a wide variety of them, many of which highly endangered.

~Thylo

pipaluk and SealPup like this.
  20. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

in Jersey some years ago the Bears killed an Otter after sharing the exhibit without incident previously, though perhaps they were always just waiting for the chance to trap one somewhere.

Of course 'predation' might not mean the bears at South Lakes actually killed and started to eat other species they shared with, but they may have injured them sufficiently they then had to be euthanased (e.g. there is a photo somewhere on here of a Tapir or Capybara with bear claw marks). IMO a place like this should never have been allocated an endangered species like Spectacled Bears or then allowed to keep them long term in an unsuitable mixed exhibit. Unsurprisingly they have never bred under these stressful conditions, though the one female sent from there to Belfast has since done so. I am not sure whether the remaining South Lakes bears still share with other species in their current enclosure?

SealPup likes this.