Join our zoo community

Species you hate to see in zoos

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by animalszoos, 9 Mar 2017.

1. James w

James w Active Member

Great topic. I have worked in the industry for years, and agree with a lot of points.
    For me its elephants. Dangerous to work with, knew someone injured by one. Needs to be hands on and a lot of criticism from anti zoo people when they see keepers trying to use hands on control. They travel big distance in the wild and take a hell of a lot of space. Safari parks mildly better, but not great.
    Big problem is listed buildings with exhibits. E.g. london zoo and bristol zoo. When I worked with bristol zoo had constant complaints from public about the space for the pygmy hippo s. I worked with them and agreed but it was all listed buildings and restrained by overall site space and paperwork. They have the new park on the outskirts now, that would be an idea. The seals on my section had a great zoolex designed enclosure. I worked with inverts a lot, they are great as they require less space, many species live aboreal so less ground room. Also you can create beautiful natural exhibits for them, bit harder with say a rhino, trying to recreate the Savannah in kent!
    Love this site guys..

2. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member

I agree with you. I'm also happy you're enjoying the site.

I don't agree completely with what TheEthiopianWolf said in what you quoted. I do agree that spaces should be used for more endangered species, but I agree with the statement that rabbits deserve less space than other species. After seeing terribly small enclosures that animals I own use to be in, I think that all animals deserve as much space as possible.

TheEthiopianWolf03 likes this.
  3. James w

James w Active Member

Its a difficult one.. I was part of breeding programme species, uk and international. Lot of stud book species. Because of the stringent requirements for zoo licensing conservation is fore front. I do like to see unusual species though. I did a lot of zoo tours for work and personal. Berlin zoos I loved because they had obscure species id never heard of or seen, and 3 species of hyena!.
    I find a lot of U.K. zoos do keep the same species due to programmes, which is great. But I do miss the species lesser kept now, and random ones that surprise. From a keeper point, but also zoo enthusiasts.
    Amur leopards are a good example. They receive a lot of spaces for breeding collections. But I do miss seeing other leopard species. My fave are persian leopards. Had them at cotswold wildlife park growing up, last saw one in Berlin.
    I worked with a wildlife hospital for about 10 years, and like native species collections. Nearly worked in wildwood. Id like to see a lot more breeding programmes in the uk for the scottish wildcat. Our only native feline, and near extinction now. Bit gabbled..but written after family funeral. Site cheering me up!

Jake and Cassidy Casuar like this.