Join our zoo community

Species you hate to see in zoos

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by animalszoos, 9 Mar 2017.

1. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Speaking as another (proud) SJW, I think "unbelievably arrogant" is a tad unfair. Learning how to conduct oneself online isn't intuitive for everyone (I'm still learning) and it also takes time for existing communities to accept new additions. This isn't helped by SealPup's bewildering tendency to combine a good point with some... er... not so good ones.

@SealPup: For me, at least, the process could be lubricated if you made an effort to link your posts to existing discussions and, before posting, asked yourself whether the point you're making is actually clear. I might not always agree with you, but I'd rather know we disagree and why. That includes the distinction between culture and ethnicity.

Just one Panda's opinion.

EDIT: Oh, and to follow my own advice about linking posts to existing discussions, any species kept poorly or non-mammal displayed unimaginatively.

Last edited: 23 Mar 2017
  2. SealPup

SealPup Well-Known Member

FunkyGibbon: the only purpose of language is communication: as long as any chosen usage conveys the statement, it's appropriate. ;)

3. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Am I to assume then that you have no problem with using racial slurs?

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  4. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

How long is this off topic discussion going to continue?

Coelacanth18 and ThylacineAlive like this.
  5. FunkyGibbon

I imagine we're almost finished.

After I will give an on-topic, I promise!

6. natel12

natel12 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Anamitronic Dino's zoos are obsessed with them for some reason any domestic animals anything that you can have as a pet all hybrids and color variants except white tigers they are beautiful animals and pretty much most birds except ostrich peafowl and flamingoes

7. elefante

Funny how a lot of Zoochatters don't like peafowl. I really enjoy them. As I enjoy most birds.

LowlandGorilla4 likes this.
  8. natel12

natel12 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yeah I do too the ones i said were the ones I like plus the peafowl at my zoo don't have an exhibit so they just roam around the zoo

LowlandGorilla4 likes this.
  9. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I enjoy birds a lot more now, and have made special trips to stop by aviaries at my local zoos, but as a kid, I could care less for them, and aviaries were easy skips.

10. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

what about animatronic peafowl?

11. elefante

The only thing I skip is the farm section.

12. elefante

Is that a thing? I've only seen animatronic dinosaurs once when I was a kid. They had one you could control and I got in trouble for moving the controls too fast. Whoops.

13. Chlidonias

once I got the dinosaur control for "growl" mixed up with "eat the teacher". No more school trips for me :(

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  14. Water Dragon

Water Dragon Well-Known Member

I don't like it when it is just a big plastic dinosaur that just stands there and does nothing! Some will have an occasional roaring noise but that's about it!

animal_expert01 likes this.
  15. Chlidonias

you could change "plastic dinosaur" in that post to "lion" and it would still make perfect sense.

Swampy, lintworm, Mehdi and 2 others like this.
  16. SealPup

SealPup Well-Known Member

Animationic dinosaurs are rarely high quality paleoart. Since the Crystal Palace era attempts to keep life-size models current have gone downhill: attempts are to bring in visitors who like Jurassic Park, they make threatening noises all the time, predators look threatening, and the noises they do make are stereotypical.

Not only the anatomy but the behaviours and postures ought to recall the live animals in the zoo: blissful relaxation, play, nurture, foraging, mating, visual display.

17. elefante

You don't like lions huh?

18. Chlidonias

I don't mind lions. I don't bother looking at them in zoos though. They are one of those really popular ABCs which don't do anything much except at feeding time.

d1am0ndback likes this.
  19. elefante

I've rarely seen lions do anything. Tigers a few times, but lions I could probably count on one hand the times I've seen them move. I still enjoy them though.

20. FunkyGibbon

I always imagine if peafowl were only held in a few collections; they'd be prized beyond measure by zoonerds. They truly are extraordinarily beautiful birds.

In terms of species I don't like seeing, I've given this a lot of thought. Despite their overexposure, I still enjoy see most ABCs. However, the one exhibit that really leaves me cold is the cookie cutter South American 'pampas' one. A mixed species effort of some combination of tapir, capybara, mara, rhea and if you're lucky giant anteaters. I've seen it so many times and it's deathly dull. These species can still be interesting, but not like that.

If you really backed me into a corner, I might say ratites. I never linger at these exhibits, but I still don't hate them. Also, I do really like seeing cassowaries, and I do hope to see kiwi one day (I only just found out the kiwis are ratites by the way).

Basically, this question is impossible, especially because of the use of the word 'hate'. :p