Join our zoo community

Species you hate to see in zoos

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by animalszoos, 9 Mar 2017.

1. Carl Jones

Carl Jones Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I agree with the points that you raise. Traditional nocturnal houses leave a lot to be desired, and there are some important recent initiatives as you suggest. Many nocturnal animals do exhibit well when shown in daylight. The fruit-bats in Jersey are a good example of that.

2. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In support of Tim May's post, I managed to see the echidna at Paignton extremely active in daylight, as were LA's newer Tasmanian Devils, and I've never had a problem seeing flying foxes in daylight.

~Thylo

3. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I believe Paignton's very active, outdoor living Echidna is one of the group that I used to see doing absolutely nothing in Bristol's nocturnal house.

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Tasmanian Devils are strictly nocturnal in the wild - but in captivity they are active at any time during the day or night, so there is no point in a zoo keeping them in a nocturnal house. It's better for the animal and the public to have them in a normal outdoors enclosure.

Echidnas are cathemeral in the wild, so just as readily seen by day or night. Like sloths - I never understand why some zoos keep sloths in a nocturnal house. Flying Foxes are obviously nocturnal feeders, but they don't hide during the day so are better off being displayed in an "aviary" enclosure where they can actually have space and are still easily seen (in fact, more easily seen than they would be in a nocturnal house).

MattyP likes this.
  5. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There is nothing to prevent a nocturnal house from including sounds and smells from outside. Bushbabies at night exhibit at Rostock zoo can even look outside through a darkened window.

I agree that many nocturnal mammals seem to do better with access to the outside area. Perhaps the best solution is to have a house shifted 6 hours, part night, part day.

About aardvarks, I never seen them active at day. Zoos which exhibit them outside have them sleeping. Which makes probably worse conditions for aardvarks, because they cannot have ability to dig, otherwise they would dig themselves underground immediately. In nocturnal houses they seem to be almost always active.

Tasmanian devils in zoos where I saw them are partly active at day. However nocturnal loris, pottos, bushbabies - they are famous that never emerge at the daytime.

6. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

I was lucky to see very active Devils in their new enclosures at Duisburg and Copenhagen this summer. Definitely worth getting to see them when you can.
    Douracouli, being the 'big' primate you'll see in a nocturnal house, often have the smallest enclosures of any primate relative to size I think.

7. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Agree entirely. Devils enjoy basking in the sun, especially in colder weather. They can also be easily trained to come out for a little food for a keeper talk, which is even better in terms of interpretation. I'm sure most larger mammals kept in nocturnal houses would be similar, so an outside enclosure would be a much better option for them.

This does not work so well with truly nocturnal animals such as (in our case) bettongs and gliders, which is the reason Moonlit Sanctuary started with evening tours. Of course we are situated at a respectable latitude, which gives us reasonable weather and the ability to start tours at a reasonable hour all year round.

There are however a number of interesting small (mouse size) mammals that can really only be exhibited in a nocturnal house style enclosure.

8. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Pests and parasites

9. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I hate seeing baby Homo Sapiens in zoo,especially one that will have stereotype behaviour.

JVM likes this.
  10. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Though many enclosures are painfully small if you see them in full light, fortunately the size of the inhabitants is also not that big...

Depends on the time of day and the individual. In early morning or later in the afternoon the aardvark in Arnhem normally become active and they at least can dig in the substrate in their enclosure. In nighthouses like in Berlin of Frankfurt there is no real substrate (except loose sand/rock) so they cannot dig, which is the main activity for any aardvark, not necessarily making a burrow but looking for underground termites and ants. This makes walking through the African bush more dangerous than a minefield with all these small holes...

MRJ likes this.
  11. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 10+ year member

No matter if your comment should be a joke or not: Could you explain what kind of "stereotype behaviour" you mean/you have observed?

12. MattyP

MattyP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I can't understand why you would put devils or echidnas in a nocturnal house, they are always displayed outdoors and are quite active here in Australia. I have seen many wild echidnas roaming around during the day too, in fact, apart from kangaroos and wombats they are probably the most regular native mammals that I see.

13. ThylacineAlive

Quite interesting. I have only seen echidna three times in zoos: twice in a nocturnal house, once in an outdoor enclosure and they were quite active each time. I've also seen Tasmanian Devils three times but only between two zoos. They were both kept outdoors but at the zoo I visited twice they were always active whereas it seems they're usually sleeping at the one I've been to once. From what I've seen they're a hit or miss species to see awake in European zoos, too.

~Thylo

14. Varanus

Varanus Active Member

I am not a fan of seeing hybrids such as ligers and zonkeys, or highly inbred color morphs such as white tigers and lions. Seeing domestic morphs of animals, such as non-green budgies (it seems every budgie-feeding aviary has your typical pet store mix of colors), yellow Burmese pythons, and domestic morph guineafowl bugs me as well. I also am not a fan of domestic animals such as Ankole cattle and llamas being exhibited alongside wild animals in mixed exhibits, though I make an exception for things that very closely resemble their wild ancestors like camels and water buffalo.

I noticed a lot of people mentioned animatronic dinosaurs in this thread. As a paleontology enthusiast, I dislike them mainly because they are always so inaccurate. Were they scientifically accurate, I would enjoy them very much, but every time I am greeted by the same outdated and often poorly made fare, and there’s always a freaking spitting Dilophosaurus. :/

15. Alex Bensky

Alex Bensky Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Detroit Zoo has a couple of bald eagles, but they were injured in the wild and cannot fly.

16. ThylacineAlive

The vast majority of birds of prey in US zoos were injured in the wild and cannot be returned. Obviously there are a few species such as Andean Condor, Ruppell's Vulture, and Spectacled Owl that are widespread, though. Europe, and the UK in particular in my experience, is extremely speciose with there being very few large flight aviaries for them.

~Thylo

17. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That being said maybe more of a focus on heritage breeds would make more sense for farm animals

Brum likes this.
  18. Muckleskate

Muckleskate Member

The two Echidnas I cared for at the LAZoo were very active during daylight hours.

19. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Really? Last I knew, the Cincinnati shared an exhibit for their Przewalski's Horses and Bactrian Camel, they have three exhibits to themselves. The Sichuan Takin have a smaller exhibit but the zoo is more focused on breeding the Takin.

20. ThylacineAlive

This would be a new development from 2013 then. When I visited the zoo only had two horses, and this was the max number they could hold as the enclosure was so small the AZA refused to give them more.

~Thylo