Join our zoo community

Species You Wish More Zoos Would Keep

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Neil chace, 3 Jun 2021.

1. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What species do you wish more zoos in your home country would keep? For the United States, I wish more zoos would keep:
    - The Lowland Anoa, fascinating and unique endangered species that doesn't get anywhere near the attention it deserves from zoos.
    - Speke's and Soemmerring's Gazelles, two endangered gazelle species that I wish more places would keep.
    - White-bellied Tree Pangolins, need I explain my reasoning?
    - Bee-eaters, fascinating and colorful birds that very few places keep.
    - Birds of Paradise, same as for bee-eaters.
    - Sand Cats and Black-footed Cats, endangered, small, and utterly adorable cat species
    - Caprids, a whole group of underrepresented ungulates that I wish was kept more frequently as a whole. I'd especially like to see more groups pick up urial, goral, or nubian ibex.
    - Maleos, a rare and gorgeous bird species.
    - Geladas, a fascinating and unique primate species that very few US zoos keep.
    - Lion-tailed Macaques, another fascinating and underrepresented primate species, endangered.
    - Eulemurs, endangered, fascinating, and active species- but less common in zoos than the ringtailed and ruffled lemurs.
    - Freshwater chelonians, many are at risk of extinction and tangible conservation work can be done by zoos.
    - Amphibians, same as the chelonians.

Last edited: 3 Jun 2021
  2. German Zoo World

German Zoo World Well-Known Member

Bornean Bearded Pig: There cant be enough asian swines.

Gaur: They are so impressive but There are Not many left.

Proboscis monkey: they are so unique looking.

Harpy Eagle: Why are there Not more of one of the Worlds biggest Species of bird of Prey in Zoos?

3. Haliaeetus

Haliaeetus Well-Known Member

For me, I would like to see more :

- Asiatic Black Bears
    - Sea Otters
    - Striped Hyenas
    - Aardwolves
    - African Buffaloes
    - Gazelles (all species)
    - Duikers (all species)
    - Hartebeests
    - Saigas
    - Pronghorns
    - Mooses
    - Warthogs
    - Andean and Baird's Tapirs
    - Tree Kangaroos (all species)
    - Wallabies (all species except Red-necked Wallaby that's very common in zoos)
    - Sifakas (all species)
    - Babakotos
    - Drills
    - Baboons (all species, except the Hamadryas that is widespread in zoos)
    - Birds of Paradise
    - Gharials

All these species are rare to very rare (if not inexistent) in European zoos, and a lot of them are threatened in the wild.

I could add the venomous snakes, that are nearly absent from the French collections (but more present in other European countries).

4. Ursus

Ursus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well... If the American subspecies is that important, I guess.
    However there should be plenty of european elk around

5. Haliaeetus

Haliaeetus Well-Known Member

The Moose/Elk (Alces alces) is a special case : it isn't threatened (and its range is even increasing), but it's a quite rare species in zoos, out of Scandinavia.
    In France only a handful of zoos keep them.

And my point of view is European (and especially French), thus not representative of other continents.

6. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Pampas cat (all species), margay, golden cat (both species), tigrina (both species), black-footed cat, marbled cat, flat-headed cat, etc...
    (Are you seeing a pattern? ;) )

7. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

But they dont have the same pattern? Some of those are small spotted or large spotted, while some have no spot at all.

8. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

:D:D:D

9. Ursus

Ursus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I too speak from a European pov.
    There's 6 zoos in France with the European subspecies and 1 holder of the American subspecies. 7 holders is a lot more than my own country, the Netherlands, gets.

I don't think it's that rare outside of scandinavia.... Germany alone has 33 holders..
    According to ZTL a total of 131 zoos keep this animal.

10. marmoset23

marmoset23 Active Member

Smooth coated, Giant, and any african species of otter. I think this would be and easy change because many zoos have ASCO or NARO enclosures that would be suitable for more rare species.

11. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I agree I would like to see this change, but I don't think it will be as easy as you think. NARO and ASCO can both handle colder temperatures than the spotted-necked and giant otters. For many northern zoos these animals would be out of reach unless they built indoor exhibits, as opposed to existing outdoor habitats.

marmoset23 likes this.
  12. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Yes, same here.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  13. Azamat Shackleford

Azamat Shackleford Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hyenas. Any species I'll be satisfied with

evilmonkey239 and Coelacanth18 like this.
  14. Onychorhynchus coronatus

The buffy tufted marmoset, black lion tamarin, pied tamarin, golden bellied and kaapori capuchins I think are the first species that come to mind.

I would have once added the Northern and Southern muriqui and the Superagui lion tamarin too but as I learn more I have come to believe that these are species best conserved in-situ.

Beyond primates and off the top of my head I would say other mammal species such as the bush dog, giant otter, pampas cat, Brazilian three banded armadillo also strike me as needing more of an ex-situ presence in Brazilian zoos.

Then there are several reptile and bird species which either need a greater presence in zoo insurance populations or lack one all together such as the golden lancehead viper, Spix and Lear's macaws, blue-eyed ground dove, Araripe manakin, Brazilian merganser and the Pernambuco pygmy owl (probably far too late for that last one).

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  15. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

Arizona Docent covered most of my cat species but I think zoos (especially in North America) need more Asiatic Lions. Also more Leopard species (javan, sri lankan, Anatolian, and of course African). Nubian Ibexes which I don't need to explain.

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  16. Dhole dude

Dhole dude Well-Known Member

Any kind of civet. I believe only one AZA zoo keeps covers (that being Nashville). Yet they don’t exhibit them, and a few private collections keep them, but they aren’t very well documented as far as I know.

evilmonkey239 and Arizona Docent like this.
  17. Animallover360

Animallover360 Well-Known Member

These are the animals I wished more zoos kept:

-Geladas: I think Geladas are fascinating, amazing animals.
    -Shoebills: Their big bills are amazing :) and they are rare.
    -Clouded Leopard: They have beautiful fur patterns.
    -Babirusa: Many people don’t like the babirusa, but I think they are really cool.
    -Sun Bears and Sloth Bears: These are both incredible Bear species with so many special adaptations to help them survive.

evilmonkey239 and Neil chace like this.
  18. DaLilFishie

DaLilFishie Well-Known Member

Freshwater crustaceans, there are plenty of cool species, plus some like some crayfish species could really use the help of a breeding program. Even easily-obtained and hardy species like Yabby and Redclaw Crayfish just aren't kept much.

Canihelpyou? and Westcoastperson like this.
  19. dillotest0

dillotest0 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'd say that the takin could make for a good zoo animal to become more common -
    A large mammal that could provide educational value as guests try to decide on whether what they are looking at is a yak, a gnu, a bison or whatnot. Signs telling them that what they are seeing is neither could come as a surprise, but may influence their knowledge of animals in general.
    Enrichment could also provide entertaining value to guests, as they see the large, muscular animals in a rather playful and charismatic manner.
    To add, it could also help telling guests that as Takins inhabit a similar, if not same habitat to Pandas, that donating to help wild Takins could also influence wild Pandas.
    An all-in-1 good zoo animal.

20. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Another species that I forgot to mention in my comment above which I believe would really benefit from an ex-situ breeding programme in Brazilian zoos (and possibly zoos abroad too) would be Ortalis remota.

This is a newly described species of chachalaca (only described in 2017) which is endemic to SP state here in Brazil and is very threatened.