Join our zoo community

Noah's Ark Zoo Farm Spectacled Bears coming soon

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 23 Sep 2015.

1. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member

A press release from Zoo Frankfurt this afternoon has given the game away that Noah's Ark will receive two young male Spectacled Bears in Spring 2016:

Much remains to time, the lively cubs and their mother CashU to visit the zoo, but for the brothers indicated a change of location of: by the European Endangered Species Programme EEP there is a recommendation for the two in December 2013. born bear, in the Noah's Ark Zoo Farm to resettle in Bristol in England.

In Noah's Ark Zoo Farm is being built a 1,200 square meters, with hills and rivers richly textured system for spectacled bears. When the plant is completed, it will be the new home of the now one year and nine-month-old Frankfurter spectacled bears. Currently the parade for spring 2016 envisaged an exact date but there is not yet. "We are happy," said zoo director Professor Dr. Manfred Niekisch, "that we by the competent studbook coordinator such a good recommendation for discharge got two bears. By then about two years TUPA and SONCO are old enough to leave their mother. In nature, spectacled bear cubs are at this age already own. "After the parade of young spectacled bears the male and the female NOBODY CashU of the keepers and keepers are brought together carefully. Then the Zoo can hope again on spectacled bears offspring.

Neue Heimat für TUPA und SONCO ? die Brillenbären-Brüder ziehen nach Großbritannien um - Zoo Frankfurt

2. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member

Wow, the way they're growing it's lucky for Bristol Zoo (specifically Wild Place) that they don't open on Sundays.

3. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member

Amazing! but while I'm glad they'll be bears near me, I'm not so pleased it's Noha's Ark.

4. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

I know in the past I have been quite a critic of Noahs,but if they do half as good a job as they did with the Elephant enclosure,then they WILL HAVE ONE OF THE BEST BEAR EXHIBITS IN THE UK!

The place is changing and very much changing for the better there is still some work to do,but they are getting there.But like everything it will take time but I feel that they are starting to do what they should have done over 10 years ago,that said they still need to distance themselves from some people they work with if they want to be taken seriously!

Last edited: 23 Sep 2015
  5. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member

I agree entirely but I'm just concerned about the impact they'll have on Bristol, a Zoo I hold very dear.

Last edited: 23 Sep 2015
  6. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member

7. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member

I would have preferred it to have been Wild Place that was having these Spectacled Bears. Not disputing Noah's Ark will build a decent habitat for them but overall Wild Place would seem a more suitable home than this farm-turned- Zoo with its heavily religious slant. And with the rapid developments at Noah's Ark taking it into large animal collection status, can the Bristol area really support three major animal collections longterm that are so near to each other? ( They are all within about a ten mile radius of each other!)

8. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member

Having visited Noah's once and been surprised at the place I agree with zg that this could well be an exciting and poossibly innovative enclosure. I am surprised that they are getting spectacled bears though, I would have expected brown bears as they seem far easier to obtain?

I do hope they follow the elephant enclosure example as the big cat exhibits leave a lot to be desired...

And hopefully Bristol/Wild Place can compete. With the society's current developments I expect they can if they continue the way they are heading. Saying that, if Noah's can become a more serious zoologiocal collection then all the best, if they stick with the religoious ethos then I can't wholly support them. Zoos are a place of science and learning, churches and abbey's are places to learn about history and religion, no need to blend the two and distort facts.

9. Bristol_Fan

Bristol_Fan New Member

What are your opinions on Noah's Ark Zoo Farm?

10. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member

If that is aimed at me then I can only give a slightly out of date assessment as I visited two ears ago.

My view of the place had already been tainted by a lot of opinions regarding husbandry standards and religious over- emphasis. I now see faults with both parts of that statement but left with an impression that it could very easily be a decent zoological collection.

My negative impressions were mainly regarding the Religious nature of the zoo; is there any need for a model ark exhibition with a bizarre layout? What's the point of making references to animals featured in the bible? Why have the zoo closed on a Sunday? I don't want to sound intolerant but a zoo should at least try to stick to proven facts rather than pushing a belief down peoples throats!
    Husbandry wise the only issues I had were the biog cat enclosures seemed far too small and bland with pretty bad viewing. The reptile house had a very homemade feel and felt like it was an ongoing work of construction. A personal annoyance was the amount of domestic species placed spooradically between the exotics. Something that bothers me personally, others may feel differently! ;)
    Plus points were the siamang and meerkat enclosures at the opening of the zoo, the nice vulture/stork aviary which could have been better stocked, the large paddocks for hoofstock (even though they could have been pure subspecies) and the open coati enclosure.
    Another plus was the reduced entry for late arrivals, quite good value! :)

As I said this is from two years ago, it may have changed since then.

11. Pertinax

I also visited around this time and before the Elephant Eden was built. I think in order to get Elephants they had to build something first class. I guess the Bear enclosure will follow on from that and also be of a (much?) higher standard than the previous exhibits. So these new developments may be in contrast with some of the other more primitive enclosures.

I agree about the domestic species too- it very much felt like a cross between a farmpark and a zoo and probably still does. I also agree that the religious aspects as you mention above seem totally out of keeping with serious zoo practise too- but that's how it is there.

12. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member

With regards to Elephant Eden, it was built but still awaiting elephants. It did look impressive from a distance and from speaking to people who went on a scheduled tour the day before it appears to be truly world class.

As I stated earlier, if they improved the reptile house, got rid of the domestics (maybe keeping yak, water buffalo and ankole at a push) and finally getting rid of the creationist signage then it could be a very nice zoo.

Saying that I'd like to hope that it wouldn't take away custom from Bristol or Wild Place as I'm very fond of both collections, particularly Bristol!

13. Pertinax

It must be doing so, the question is, how much custom is it taking away? Most average visitors/families rate it very favourably as its very child-friendly with animal contact/petting, plenty of play area facilities as well as the 'big' ABC animals they promote in their advertising.

I also presume that people still like to vary their visits so the same visitors will also sometimes go instead to Bristol Zoo and WildPlace too, both of which nowadays cater for children also. The thing is whether these visitors then begin to favour one establishment over the other two (and which one), longerterm. I'm sure Bristol Zoo/Wildplace gate attendances must have been affected negatively since the appearance of Noah's Ark.

14. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member

Well if I lived in Bristol then I'd probably choose the zoo nine times out of ten as it's the ideal size for families, easier to reach by public transport, there's a lot of other attractions nearby and has a lot more interesting species. Unfortunately the general public don't appreciate quolls, aye-ayes and kowaris in the same way I do. But at least Bristol have gorillas and hippos, two species Noah's aren't likely to get for a while!

15. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member

Other things to consider are whether more Zoo goes are being attracted from further afield? Zoo attendance over the whole Bristol / North Somerset / South Glos area may rise with more zoological attractions.
    Bristol also has the problem of tighter parking regulations which have been introduced into the Clifton area while NAZ has the Sunday issue, how many people would buy season tickets if one out of the two days their kids are off the place is closed?

As far as my personal opinion on NAZ goes, I agree with the above but would add that I hate the stock fencing that iinterrupts the view of most animals and I also think the rhino and giraffe houses need enlarging as these animals spend a lot of time indoors in the winter.

16. jacks zoo

jacks zoo Well-Known Member

17. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member

Well that seems a lot safer than SL, I had a horrible vision of Noah's throwing in their tapirs and capybaras! Glad to see creationists have more sense than Gill! ;)

18. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member

Do coatis and squirrel monkeys get on ok? I've no idea but coatis are carnivores and squirrel monkeys are relatively small, is there likely to be any issues?

19. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member

I'm not an expert but I imagine that as long as the monkeys are in a none-breeding (batchelor) situation then I reckon the coatis will leave them alone! Other opinions are welcome though! ;)

20. jacks zoo

jacks zoo Well-Known Member

I personally think the current coati enclosure is an absolute eyesore and will be pleased to see it go. Im sure its great for the coatis but a thing of beauty it most certainly isnt!