Join our zoo community

Speculative Burger's zoo project

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by Mr Gharial, 6 Feb 2021.

1. PicanBird

PicanBird Well-Known Member

As you requested: I have scrolled through the concepts and I do like a few ideas such as the expantion to the outside for the desert. However for that situation the offices for the construction team would have to get destroyed. These are very well hidden so easily forgotten. The species are well thought through and could add to the walk up a boring hill, yet I feel it would be hard to create another entrance/exit to that bit and therefor make it very random. I'd maybe use the slope for something like a few seperate animals that belong to the 'park' bit. They could still be themed around the desert, but more freely.

My thought on another tropical hall (for outback) might be a bit too much as it might be too similar to Desert (but Mangrove RN is also quite similar to bush). I think reusing the current pheasantry for indoor australian species might be fine, and retheme the area around it for outdoor species (flamingos could easily move to somewhere else).

If we are looking at Burgers' Zoo they add regions in which there is a story to tell. So not every region or theme fits the park. It is too bad the zoo can't expand to anywhere due to all the roads surrounding and various things blocking their chances of expantion.
    In a fantasy option I could say the parkinglot would be moved to the other side of the deelense weg near the electrical power center thingy, and move the entrance up there. Giving the zoo new space the size safari+rimba. Or the city council would have to agree on moving the road a bit around and therefor giving a chance to redo the parkinglot to change shape or grow (maybe vertically?) and still adding some space for atleast 1 new themed area.

2. Mr Gharial

Mr Gharial Well-Known Member

The Cattepoelse weg is the main problem for my ideas. I actually want to downsize the beaver and otter enclosures, as well as maybe the wolf enclosure. This would make a little more space.

Another possibility is to make a bridge over the Cattepoelse weg, either making a new region there (Similar to Berlin zoo, Zoo Duisburg and Blijdorp), or to make space for a larger staff area here.

Personally, I really like the large safari paddock being the horizon, and I don't want to build anything behind it

3. Mr Gharial

Fair, but Outback also has larger wooded areas, the kangaroo enclosure will be typical outback, and the bottom walk will be rocky desert, so those two might be similar indeed, but still unique

4. PicanBird

PicanBird Well-Known Member

I think the main problem is the space animals get. Burgers' Zoo is known for giving lots of space to animals. adding too much (like in this concept) kinda contradicts that concept.

5. Mr Gharial

I think most enclosures are quite spacious. And the current aardvark and former capybara enclosures are actually a bit undersized

6. Mr Gharial

For the New Zealand house, could the red-fronted parakeets be mixed with Australian swamphen and Eastern rosella?

7. Mr Gharial

I'm looking into adding some Madagascan freshwater fish into the Madagascar house, does anyone have a few species that are available in captivity? (preferably also in Europe)

ParathePineapple likes this.
  8. Strix

Strix Well-Known Member

Pinstripe Damba, Mangarahara Cichlids, Red-Tailed and Madagascan Silversides, and to a lesser extent Vatosoa Rainbowfish are kept in Europe.

Mr Gharial likes this.
  9. Mr Gharial

Thanks!

Would these be able to go together with Madagascar big-headed turtle (Erymnochelys madagascariensis)?

10. Strix

Strix Well-Known Member

I assume so, though I don’t know if big-headed turtles have been kept with any of them.

11. Ursus

Ursus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think it may work, the turtles seem to be primarily herbivorous so no stress about them munching on the fishes.

Mr Gharial likes this.
  12. Mr Gharial

Great! People (on zoochat) seem to love Madagascan Freshwater fish, so I thought: why not add them to the Madagascan house?

Ursus likes this.
  13. Mr Gharial

I'm also thinking of removing the greater hedgehog tenrec and Malagasy tree boa, instead making for a swampy area with water banana trees for the turtle and fishes. Hopefully I'll have an updated map out later today

14. Mr Gharial

Burgers islands - Madagascar and Seychelles.png

The new water area will have water banana plants in it, as well as having a shallow area (near the Giant chameleon enclosure), and a deeper bit with the bridge over it. Between the path next to the fossa and the water will be some rockwork with plants on top for the free-roamers

15. Jarne

Jarne Well-Known Member

I can only agree with most of this. Many of the species you do list are also not viable in the long-term. When it comes to areas with a story, there is high potential in parts of madagaskar (Southwestern Madagaskar is an often underrepresented area with it's tropical dry forests and many endangered species like tortoises, giant chameleon, sifaka, ring-tailed lemur, ...), a mountain area (Alpine or Himalayan is possible, but the Andean mountains are also a decent option with many available species like cougar, geoffroy's cat, vicuna, Andean condor, Chilean flamingo, ...), European dry forests (around the Mediterranean, fits perfectly in with the pine forests they have. ), Redwood forests, ...

But there you have it, the former capybare enclosure and the quite old aardvark enclosure. If you look at more recent enclosures they are quite spacious.

16. Mr Gharial

I did a redesign on Burgers' Night (Africa)
    Burgers Night - Central and West Africa.png

The aardvark enclosure is full walkthrough, with fences similar to those in the canyon aviary. The porcupine/potto enclosure is more similar to the first and second regions of "de nacht" in Amersfoort, having little to no fencing

I'm also going to redesign the South American Night house, though I'll need a different location for it

Burgers Night - Central and West Africa (commersial version).png

amur leopard likes this.
  17. Mr Gharial

Burgers Rimba.png

I also made a change to Rimba (after some discussion with Anubite and Bosjesman), the two terrariums in the cave will be replaced by a nocturnal area (I know, I know) with the two main enclosures holding Chevrotains, Slow loris, and Treeshrew. With some added terrariums as well

Burgers Rimba - Commersial version.png

amur leopard likes this.
  18. Mr Gharial

Sorry, I meant second and third regions of Nacht in Amersfoort

19. Mr Gharial

Burgers Night - South and Central America.png

As promised, the new version of the South American nocturnal house, now with a different location as the previous one was blocking off a supply route (I think) to Ocean.

The four-eyed opossum enclosure has a tunnel above the visitor path allowing the animals to get to both enclosures.

The nocturnal house is, again, one-route, you enter at the red-eyed tree frog terrarium and exit after the caimans.
    Burgers Night - South and Central America (commersial version).png

amur leopard likes this.
  20. Mr Gharial

Some other small updates:

Burgers Congo.png
    - Added an outside enclosure for the Okapis and Colobuses in Congo

Burgers Desert expansion.png
    - Very subtle redesigning of the Desert expansion, moving some of the rocks around and giving the eagles more space. As well as removing the tunnel from the prairie dogs

Burgers islands - Carribean and Galapagos.png
    - Added an outside enclosure for the Rhinoceros iguanas in Islands (S/ America), this is a lowered enclosure

Burgers park.png
    - A newer image of Park without the macaw aviary, as I apparently never showed that

Burgers zoo New.png
    - A general update of the map, as it has changed a bit