Join our zoo community

Spiders exhibited that are not tarantulas

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by CrashMegaraptor, 12 Feb 2021.

1. CrashMegaraptor

CrashMegaraptor Well-Known Member

So, whenever a zoo exhibits a species of spider, it's almost always some sort of tarantula (which I personally am never keen on). I rarely ever see any other sort of spider exhibited.

What spiders have you guys seen that aren't the big and hairy kind?

One I always remember is Bristol Zoo's interesting take on a black widow enclosure...in the toilet of an outhouse.

2. chaotic_froggie

chaotic_froggie Well-Known Member

London Zoo’s B.U.G.S has a very interesting orb weaver spider walkthrough, as well as huntsman spiders.

3. Theloderma

Theloderma Active Member

Paignton has (or had prelockdown!) false widow spider, social spiders, regal jumping spider, Madeira wolf spider, and Cameroon crab spider, in addition to red knee, Goliath, and Gooty sapphire tarantula.

4. Tea_and_Biology

Tea_and_Biology Active Member 5+ year member

Not to mention their Indian social spiders, giant raft spiders, red backs, black widows, cellar spiders, house spiders, velvet spiders, and the breeding colony of Desertas wolf spiders. Along with the half-dozen or so tarantulas, it's a pretty solid collection if one's into the wee eight-legged beasties.

chaotic_froggie likes this.
  5. German Zoo World

German Zoo World Well-Known Member

Wilhelma Zoo Stuttgart has black widow, Phidipus regius, Ancylometes bogotensis and African and madagascan orb weaver.

6. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Brookfield has and exhibit for Black Widow.

Saint Louis has exhibits for Brown Recluse, David Bowie Spider, Long-bodied Cellar Spider, and Golden-silk Orbweaver.

Toledo has exhibits for Western Black Widow, Golden-silk Orbweaver, and an unidentified huntsman species.

Lincoln Park Zoo has free-roaming Golden-silk Orbweavers in Regenstien African Journey.

7. birdsandbats

Menominee Park Zoo plans to exhibit fishing spiders in the future, but they don't have any yet.

8. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Do you remember which part of the building that's in?

9. German Zoo World

German Zoo World Well-Known Member

I have watched @Moebelle Zoo Tours Episode and i think it was the rainforest area or the Kopje area.

Hope i could Help you

Your @German Zoo World

10. birdsandbats

Near the hissing cockroaches.

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  11. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles hosts the Spider Pavilion around autumn which is a walk-through exhibit of different web-spinning spider species.

Coelacanth18 and birdsandbats like this.
  12. TheChukaulorian

TheChukaulorian Well-Known Member

Buin zoo has a Chilean recluse spiders besides their large collection of tarantulas.

German Zoo World likes this.
  13. DaLilFishie

DaLilFishie Well-Known Member

Hartley's Crocodile Adventures has Redback Spider in their Gallery of Living Art exhibit

German Zoo World likes this.
  14. Zoovolunteer

Zoovolunteer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Bristol has exhibited Golden Orb Weaver, Indian Social Spiders and currently has Desertas Wolf Spider as well as various tarantula species Other arachnids have included Emperor Scorpions, Vinegaroons and Whip Spiders.

15. CheeseChameleon1945

CheeseChameleon1945 Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but Nashville zoo has a Brown recluse spider (I think) and a black widow (not sure what species).

16. imaginarius

imaginarius Well-Known Member

Zoos with dedicated insectariums often have dozens of different arachnids, they're just not always on display at the same time. And obviously insects can be extremely easy to overlook if there isn't clear and attention-grabbing signage, given how small they are.

Before it closed, the Audobon Butterfly House and Insectarium housed 20+ species (I do not know what happened to them after its closure, sadly). The Saint Louis Zoo has black widows, brown widows, brown recluses, Brazilian whiteknee tarantulas, cobalt blue tarantulas, trapdoor spiders, spiny orb-weaving spiders, Peruvian pink-toe tarantulas, silver argiopes, black-and-yellow argiopes, green lynx spiders, nursery web spiders, red-kneed tarantulas, Madagascar orb-weavers, Missouri tarantulas, Texas gold tarantulas, golden silk spiders, Brazilian salmon birdeaters, Chilean rose tarantulas, Indian ornamental tarantulas, Australian funnel-web spiders, hobo spiders, and harvestmen, as well as 15-20 scorpion species.

Cowrie and German Zoo World like this.