Join our zoo community

ZSL London Zoo Squirrel monkeys

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by sooty mangabey, 22 Dec 2014.

1. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

This is a question about the squirrel monkeys at London Zoo.

Up until 1990, the inventory listed the zoo as holding common squirrel monkeys (Saimiri sciureus); these departed in that year.

Squirrel monkeys returned in 2005 (I think this was when "Meet The Monkeys" was opened), and that year's inventory lists Saimiri sciureus as being in the collection. The following year they - apparently - departed, and in came Bolivian squirrel monkeys (Saimiri boliviensis boliviensis). S sciureus were listed again the following year, and until 2010. S bolivinsis have been listed ever since (except for 2009, when they weren't).

Is the collection of squirrel monkeys shifting in this manner? Or is the taxonomy of these animals open to debate? Or are ZSL making errors?

Does anybody have light to shine on this one?

2. volvox

volvox Well-Known Member

I'm no good on taxonomy but I can assure you the black-capped squirrel monkey collection at London has only shifted in terms of births, deaths, and the introduction of a new male (Eubie) who has fathered three babies this year. The species (sub-species?) remains the same. I expect there's an error in there somewhere!

3. wesley

wesley Member

Can't help you in terms of previous movements but taxonomically there is a clear distinction between the two species of squirrel monkeys, each with their own EEP.

4. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member

Does anybody know if EAZA favour managing one species over the other? Is there much disparity in population size?

5. volvox

volvox Well-Known Member

After a quick whizz through online info I would say that LZ's tribe are definitely S. boliviensis boliviensis with the black cap: the other S. sciureus (common squirrel monkey) have a lighter brown cap which comes down in more of a point between their eyes and makes them look as if they're frowning. Mind you, I should know better than to get involved in a discussion about taxonomy with ZooChatters...

6. john

john Well-Known Member

Big difference in reproduction strategy between S. boliviensis and S. sciureus.

7. AdamD601

AdamD601 Well-Known Member

As far as I can see it must have been errors - S. boliviensis (boliviensis) has been at the zoo from 2005 till present.

8. persimon

persimon Well-Known Member

they have Saimiri boliviensis boliviensis, and always had these (first in Whipsnade, now in London).
    In the past all sout-american species of squirrel monkey were thought to be subspecies of Saimiri sciureus, in this case Saimiri sciureus boliviensis. The taxonomy of this genus is complicated and still under discussion.

9. persimon

persimon Well-Known Member

Saimiri boliviensis (both subspecies) are both managed in an EEP, as is (pure) Saimiri sciureus sciureus. Mainly due to good management, the population of Saimiri boliviensis boliviensis is larger than the that of S.s.s.. S.b.peruviensis has a relatively small population, all descending from animals imported by La Vallée des Singes from a breeding center in Florida.