Join our zoo community

National Zoological Gardens of Sri Lanka Sri Lankan National Zoo

Discussion in 'Sri Lanka' started by Jarkari, 23 Nov 2006.

1. ShowMeElephants

ShowMeElephants Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thank you very much for the information. It is for updating Elephant.se that I am looking for the information. Do you have any information regarding the elephants of Yokohama?

2. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

3. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4. Taisha

Taisha Well-Known Member

Anybody surprised, when the anti-zoo movement is growing?
    Just as scandalous seems to me, that EAZA zoos don't seem to care at all and are trading animals with such institutions.
    Prague, mentioned above, is not the only one.

5. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Taisha, do you really believe animals at that zoo starve to death because of employees stealing their food? Don´t be too guilible to anti-zoo propaganda.

I remmember when Prague zoo had a large problem with employees stealing food and many other stuff and selling it outside in early 1990es. But the whole system silently calculated with it and ordered amount of food in eccess and there was enough for animals left. No animal starved because of it, actually the proportion of obese animals was too big then. At that time, it was not easy to get competent people to work in a zoo, low wage and very low social status, the zoo was always short of employees (that is in stark contrast to today when zoos can´t save themselves before job applicants). It was only director Fejk who decided to combat it. Whole first year he took over he fighted against this practice, and only after he kicked out the whole management team he won. He had to kick out all curators too, nevermind their degrees and science work, they were part of it too, even if rather through their silent acceptance. For employees there is now an unwritten rule they can eat as much they want on their workplace, but to take anything out, it would be considered a theft.

If the part of the article is right and if this not just a rare occurence, I would suggest to the director the same way. To change all the people on leading positions and make clear to common employees it is not silently tolerated anymore.

6. Taisha

Taisha Well-Known Member

I guess, you have never visited this zoo? Nor have I.
    Each time before I went to Sri Lanka I came across travel guides, or travel blogs, with warnings to avoid the Colombo Zoo at all costs.
    All anti-zoo propaganda? I doubt, and there is also no hint, that The Sunday Leader is only representing a biased view.

Sadly your kind suggestions, how to improve the situation, don't correspond with the actual (employment) politics in these countries either.

Remains the question, why doesn't EAZA feel more responsible for the animals they send abroad.

7. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I don´t doubt much some employees of Colombo zoo probably steal. It happens in most companies in some extend, people are just people and one would be naive to think most EAZA zoos don´t have the same problem from time to time (but ofcourse, some countries are more prone to it, including my country). If it is in large amount and goes for longer time, it is clearly a managerial mishap.

But the info that some animals in the zoo are so hungry that they starve to death is not supported by even one fact in the article. It is full of assumptions and I would call it defamation in this moment. There are empty cages. Why? -surely because all the animals died of starvation. Nobody attached even one picture of emaciated animal. If you still take this article seriously after this deduction....

That animals starve to death by hunger in a zoo happens practically only in two situations - a small private zoo where owners run out of money and don´t ask for help, or when warfront/large violent upheaval goes over a zoo. Otherwise, it is extremely rare cases. Even when Germans encircled Stalingrad during WWII and so many people died of starvation, many exotic animals in their zoo survived.

When I see such an article, I always ask quo bono. Who has beef with the director? Which animal rights organisation is currently collecting donations? Is some private zoo/tourist attraction feeling threatened by the new safari park near Pinnawella? Or is having the journalist other personnal agenda?

8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Jana, agreed.

Without any concrete evidence instead of mere rumours and sensationalist press reporting or a bandwagon clamoring for foot soldiers the article carries little salt.

No denying though that the National Zoo at Dehiwala has seen better times. But that is a far cry from saying that animals die due to starvation.

Not sure what is keeping progress at Dehiwala at bay ... so much for now. Certainly, from my experience ... a lot is written in papers and in the sand for which no fundamental evidence is available. In India for instance papers state the wish list of zoos and unconfirmed exchange deals between zoos are often communicated / aired thru press without it actually having taken place (more or less anathema to common practice in most if not all other WAZA zoo regions where these are only publicly acknowledged when animals or new species are actually on the ground and new exhibits have been built) and without even a new enclosure specifically designed for the species is available on site.

This all reminds me way too much of Surabaya Zoo - aka Hellhole Zoo where the current Council and original dinosaur (= inept / incompetent, perhaps corrupt and most definitely ignoring the issues and priority needs for the Surabaya Zoo) administration / zoo management are trying to blame third parties that took over managerial capacities for a short period of time (under less than a year) and who were exactly addressing all - a variety of issues besetting progress in Surabaya Zoo. In that particular case it was Council/historical management deferring the blame game away from those with the financial resources that could actually make the Zoo "work" and/or those in decision making positions at the zoo that chose to ignore all the issues that needed immediate zoo management and curatorial attention. Amen! :D

9. vogelcommando

Visit of delagation to the critized Dehiwela zoo :
    The Island

10. Taisha

Taisha Well-Known Member

Vogelcommando, I would like to seize the opportunity to thank you for all your valuable and interesting links. I guess, many here are appreciating them, even if there often seems to be a lack of response.

11. vogelcommando

12. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

13. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It is the second black rhino birth at Dehiwala from this pair.
    The first born did not survive (not uncommon in primiparous females).

14. vogelcommando

15. vogelcommando

16. cloudedleopard

cloudedleopard Well-Known Member

Elephant dances? :) Yeah, the 1950s called, they want their elephant dances back :D

17. vogelcommando

18. vogelcommando

19. vogelcommando

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  20. Kestrel

Kestrel Active Member

DannySG likes this.