Join our zoo community

Starting Your Own Zoo

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by kbaker116, 2 Sep 2009.

1. The KCZooman

The KCZooman Well-Known Member

From kbaker116:

Well thanks for asking KCZooman. Over the last couple years I have been talking to zoo owners, exotic animals owners, zookeepers, vets, etc. I have been gathering knowledge, and learning more things about animal husbandry every day. I have a couple of different options, I could either go the zoo, safari park, or conservation center route. All of which I would enjoy but it comes down to which is the best for not only the animals but a business also. I would have to say ungulates are my favorite and would probably start off with either a breeding group of addax or scimatar oryx. This would be my first investment. After them I would hope to soon later own Dromedary Camels, Grevy Zebra, and African Eland. Even though I would rather enjoy going straight to animals such as Bongo, Hartman's Zebra, and Sitatunga from the people I have talked to they say these aren't good for starting off with. After growing in hoof stock. I would hope then to start mixing animals in a larger enclosure, eventually creating a safari where people will ride in percheron drawn wagons. After opening to the public I would hope to add Capybaras, Cranes, Macaws, Muntjacs, and others. Anyways what I would hope to eventually become a safari where I will have more natural exhibits. For instance animals like elk and addax wouldn't be in the same area. I would keep more endangered ungulates in side habitats that are large and dense. For animals like Gaur, Banteng, Bongo, Sable, Roan, Hartman's Zebra, Greater Kudu, Three types of Tapir, 4 types of Rhino, Takin etc. The large center safari would include all African savannah animals. The actual zoo part would be larger and have Sumatran and Bengal Tigers, Amur and African Leopard, African Lion, Cheetah, and Sun Bears. It would also include a large guenon collection, a large aviary, a reptile house, pygmy hippo, Okapi, gibbons, Mandrills, Orangutans, Gorillas, and Elephants. Maybe also an aquarium would be nice. I hope to become a not only a zoo but a breeding center for many endangered animals. I also hope to maybe work on breeding purebred Bengal Tigers. I am not sure how easy that would be but it would be one goal of mine. I would like to one day release endangered animals into the wild to help with wild populations. It may sound like I'm would probably decide not to be AZA accredited to start off with but maybe later, when the zoo grows. Hopefully you enjoyed my summary of what I hope to accomplish.

To add: Suprisingly I have seen a few zoos/animal attractions offered for sale in the U.S. A roadside zoo with giraffes, tapirs, many primates, and other ungulates was offered at 5 million, with a house and pet shop included. A Florida gator park is up for sale right now, a sancutary in Florida is also. A Texas animal park less the animals is up for sale too. I was suprised to see all of these, and the prices that they were at. I can imagine it would be risky to open up a zoo that had closed down, because of worrying about how many people come to visit. I wouldn't think about fixing up a rundown zoo if it had closed because of funding. But it may be a different if the owner was simply retiring. I don't know what do you guys think about it?

Thank you for sharing your zoo plans with me and the rest of ZooChat. I hope we can talk again really soon.

2. kbaker116

kbaker116 Well-Known Member

@ PAT, KCZooman, and Arizona Docent: Thanks for the compliments, and hopefully I will begin in the next 10 years. But right now, being in High School I am just gathering information. I am hoping to find either a good paying job in an area I like best, and switching over to owning my own business (zoo) after I have enough animals, and money to do so. Arizona Docent you make so great points. Location is key, and I have been looking into quotes and possible cities to start in. I live in Michigan, and wouldn't like to go clear across the country just because of family, and friends. I would hope not to stray to far from the Great Lakes area. Ohio would have been a great place to start a few decades ago but with many aza zoos, and amish run safari parks there is quite a lot of exotic animals now in Ohio. Michigan however doesn't have many zoos, not even many roadside attractions either. We don't have any safari parks to my knowledge, and with our poor economy zoo admissions have increased. The problem I do find is winter. Our winters can get really bad. Does anyone have thoughts about zoos being in colder climates? It wouldn't be too bad, because with Detroit being a half an hour away and Toledo around the same the must endure the same temperatures I would. Another option might be Kentucky. The Mammoth Cave area gets a lot of tourists, and besides an Australian Theme Park, and the Louisville zoo there aren't any other animal attractions in the area. This might be a better area also because there would be more open land, and warmer temperatures.

Wisp O' Mist likes this.
  3. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I like your plans

4. The KCZooman

For kbaker116

Here are my thoughts about placing your zoo in either Michigan or Kentucky.

Michigan would be a great place to add a new zoo as you have mentioned about the lack of zoos in your state. Also, there are a couple of cities that seemed to be large enough to support a zoo like Kalamazoo. Finally, there are several zoos in colder climates north of you in Canada that you might want to check on for additional examples.

As for Kentucky, you have very few zoos here as well, but much favorable climate, and cities like Lexington which has a population large enough to support a zoo.

Ultimately, the choice is yours as to what you want to do with regards to location, but I thought this might help though.

5. kbaker116

Thanks for the help. Kalamazoo might be a good idea, the Kalamazoo Zoo haha. That area might be a little crowded and I might have a hard time finding a large piece of land to start on. If I choose a city near Kalamazoo that might be a good idea too. Do you have any thoughts about starting a zoo KCZooman? I would also like to hear other Zoochatter's ideas if they were to start one. Or ideas for me would be neat too. What are your thoughs about offering people to feed animals while they are in the safari. I was thinking I could have people do this until I became AZA accredited. Maybe later limit the feeding to only Giraffes. What are your thoughts?

6. The KCZooman

From kbaker116: Thanks for the help. Kalamazoo might be a good idea, the Kalamazoo Zoo haha. That area might be a little crowded and I might have a hard time finding a large piece of land to start on. If I choose a city near Kalamazoo that might be a good idea too. Do you have any thoughts about starting a zoo KCZooman? I would also like to hear other Zoochatter's ideas if they were to start one. Or ideas for me would be neat too. What are your thoughs about offering people to feed animals while they are in the safari. I was thinking I could have people do this until I became AZA accredited. Maybe later limit the feeding to only Giraffes. What are your thoughts?

Actually, it was a dream of my to have a zoo of my own. Like you I've spent a considerable amount of time researching ideas for my zoo in books from various zoomen, the internet, briefly talking to indiviuals who have their own private zoos or collections, and I became a member of the ZAA. However, I don't think I will build a zoo of my own at this time if ever as I don't have the time or money to set out on my own. Even though I still want to learn as much as possible from from certain indiviuals who were able to start there own zoos out of curiosity's sake. Perhaps, I might have small collection of animals in the future but probley nothing like a full-fledged zoo.

At some point, I will post some of my zoo concepts with you and other ZooChatters, but it will likely be in a couple of days though.

Also, I didn't really express my complete thought about your zoo's summary and I wanted to tell you that your proposed zoo is not only amazing, but ambitious as well as. Perhaps on a time to time basis I could offer you some suggestions that I've thought of for my zoo and for others and you might want to include them for you own zoo.

7. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

i agree KCZooMan

zoo plans must be ambitious, for example, kbaker116 wants okapi, it may take say 40 years for that drea to come, true, but it is all about ambition

8. Miniaturezoo954

Miniaturezoo954 Well-Known Member

Building a zoo takes a lot of funds, it has allways been my dream, since my child years, i have had all kinds of pets, reptiles, exotic birds, etc, i have settle with a realistic scale zoo diorama, and that along has cost close to 120 000 usd up to date, and is not even close to finish, so i can only imagine what putting together a real zoo would be like, anything less than 5 million dollars, in todays economy would probably only get you a petting farm.

9. redpanda

redpanda Well-Known Member

Like most on this site, I dream of owning my own zoo . . . but have come to realise it probably won't happen (for me, you may be in different circumstances). If I win the lottery, it will be at the top of my list of things to do but, otherwise, I intend to get a job as a keeper and - hopefully - work my way up. As such, the closest I think I will ever come are the maps/species lists/drawings of my dream zoo upon which I have spent countless hours.

However, I wish you the best of luck in your endeavours and am sure the members of this site will be only too willing to give you help and advice should your plans ever come to fruition.

10. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It seems that this is all a bit like "Close Encounters Of The Third Kind".

We are all types of people from all over the world. With the same seemingly impossible ambition to have our own zoo.

World population of 7 billion and maybe 600 of us want our own zoo all brought together on zoochat. Yep okay a bit philosophical but there you go.

By the way, yes l have dreamt and planned meticulously my own zoo for as long as l can remember. I have also not given up on this ambition as l would hope no one does. As there are plenty of examples of people achieving this goal.

11. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Well, I think all the members of ZooChat.com need to join together and buy a private island and build the ZooChat dream zoo! :D

Neil chace likes this.
  12. The KCZooman

From kbaker116: What are your thoughs about offering people to feed animals while they are in the safari. I was thinking I could have people do this until I became AZA accredited. Maybe later limit the feeding to only Giraffes. What are your thoughts?

Sorry I didn't answer your question earlier. I was in a rush to type my earlier post before leaving for work.

For me personally, I would limit visitor animal feedings to giraffes, lorikeets or other small Australian birds, and petting zoo animals (which may include some exotics like antelope and camels). However, I've heard of several safari parks allowing guests to feed their animals while on safari.

If you plan to do this, I recommend that you allow your guests to feed only non-endangered species of hoofstock (dromedaries, Grant's zebra, etc), keep the endangered species (rhinos, tapirs, etc) in seperate enclosures to discourage visitor feeding, and do the feedings under the supervision of an experianced zookeeper. Also, make it known where the feedings can take place and where they cannot on the zoo grounds.

I hope this will be of help to you.

Also, in my earlier post I said I would present my zoo concepts to you and other ZooChatters. While I won't go into too much detail right now, I will tell you that my latest concept focuses on wildlife from the temperate grasslands of the world. I choose this concept because it is the dominant biome where I live here in Missouri. Also, instead of designing and constructing various indoor exhibits, I will be able to keep most of the large animals (with some exceptions) out all year long. Finally many of the species I have selected will easily adapt to the local climate and terrian.

Hopefully I will have some time later on to go into more details, but I can't promise you when I will have a complete summary. I will try and get it done as soon as I can.

Hoped you enjoy what I posted already.

The KCZooman

P.S. You mention something about percheron drawn carriages for the safari. Can you tell us a little more about it?

13. The KCZooman

I would like to add something else.

It was not my intent to discourage you from building your own zoo. I think you proposed zoo is amazing and if you could ever build it, I would definately like to come and visit it for myself. I want you to know though that it will not be easy. From my own personal research I realized that for my zoo to suceed, I would have to invest a great deal of time, energy, and money to make it work. However for me personally, I already have a lot on my plate with work, friends and family, and with my faith that it would be difficult for me to find a balance with everything. However, if you think you can find that balance and if you want to have your own zoo still, really the descion is up to you.

14. kbaker116

Sorry I haven't been able to respond to everybody's posts in awhile. I had a really busy week but I will try to get in everybody's questions or responses to comments made.

KCZooman:I am suprised you are a member of the ZAA! How did you become a member? Did it cost a lot of money? Also I am excited to hear your plans, and or ideas.

As far as feeding animals go, I think I may keep it for awhile then leave it later. The African Wildlife Safari in Port Clinton Ohio, is a member of the AZA, and they do have guest feeding. I was surprised to see they even let people feed their Giant Eland. I think they give safari parks a bad name. I have been to a few of places that aren't accredited that are better than the African Wildlife Safari. Anyways to cut to the chase I wouldn't plan on people feed the more endangered animals.

The only feeding I would allow would be from the wagons. This way a staff member can supervise the guests and make sure nothing goes wrong. I pick Percherons, instead of a safari jeep, or train because a couple reasons. I think the jeeps can get kind of loud and it is more peaceful when riding in a wagon. I find you feel somewhat more restricted when in a vehicle, and when in a wagon you feel more like you are in their habitat. Also I really like the breed. Right now I have a weanling named Cash and he is very gentle. He isn't even gelded yet and he acts very affectionate. Getting two teams of geldings would be nice to start off with.

KCZooman and everyone who has posted on this thread:

My plans are ambitious, and I would be lucky to have my dream collection before my late 60's. The whole zoo would start off as a hobby. I would like to learn the husbandry of Addax or Scimitar Horned Oryx. I will have to invest a lot of time, money, and consulting with other Zoo people but it would all be worth it. I like to think of the Amish people and how even though their amount of income, they can still be the owners of safari parks. The started it all as a hobby. Breeding white tailed deer, emu, ostrich, or others and it just grew from there. The owners of the Lazy 5 Ranch, Mountain View Wildlife Centre, and Tennessee Safari Park are my role models. To my knowledge both Lazy 5 and Mountain View both started off with not much besides dreams. I would like to meet the owner of Mountain View to discuss how he truly started it and the history of the breeding center. I haven't talked to the owner of Lazy 5 but I have talked to very knowledgeable staff members. Tennessee Safari Park does have the added boost to being on a family farm and inheriting several hundred acres. I like to think if these people can do it so can I. Balancing family, faith, and a good paying job will be difficult but I guess when I come to that road that is when I will truly decide. I have my thoughts about maybe waiting to start a family until after I begin the zoo. My dad had the dream of owning horses and getting them for us ever since we were young, but just this past year he has fulfilled his dream. I'm 15 and wish we had got them sooner, but because of money we couldn't. I just hope my dream doesn't become a low priority.

Thank you all for your words of encouragement. I am glad I can come to you guys for questions, and support. I am excited to see what your ideas are like and plans for your zoo. Like you have done for me, I wish everyone the best of luck on starting their own zoo!

P.S. If anyone has any info on the backgroud/history of the Mountain View Conservation Centre I would like to hear it.

Wisp O' Mist likes this.
  15. Zoos Int

Zoos Int Well-Known Member

You follow your dream and let no one get in your way with ones ideas or other wise .I will help you in any way possible to build your zoo .If you would like an unbiased thought please email me in private [email protected] As long as you follow your government regs and have ample money to follow you dream go for it .As well have great family and friends support .Plenty of natural room for your resident animals as well water and food supply .Nothing more infuriating than no water to hose ,wash and garnish your animals and plants .Keep it lush and clean ..The landscape is a big thought ,it takes on a whole new picture with animals in natural surrounds and happy atmosphere.Safe and long lasting are my key words .
    Tony Peel Zoo Pinjarra Mandurah Western Australia - Natures Education Centre

16. kbaker116

Thanks! I will most definitely email you. I forgot to mention you in my list of role models, but surely you are. Thanks for the support.

Kyle

17. The KCZooman

From kbaker116: KCZooman:I am suprised you are a member of the ZAA! How did you become a member? Did it cost a lot of money?

I am an associate member of the ZAA which means that I have an interest in preserving and breeding exotic animals in the public and private domain.
    I recieve a quarterly newsletter which includes information about animal care, member highlights, and trends in the zoo animal industry. I have also recieve an invitation to the annual ZAA conferance, but I have no plans to attend though. It costs $40 to be an associate member and you can apply online.

If you want to check for yourself, here is the link to the ZAA's website.

Front Page

Also I am excited to hear your plans, and or ideas.

Thank you. As soon as I have to time to think everything out, I will let you look at my ideas.

The only feeding I would allow would be from the wagons. This way a staff member can supervise the guests and make sure nothing goes wrong. I pick Percherons, instead of a safari jeep, or train because a couple reasons. I think the jeeps can get kind of loud and it is more peaceful when riding in a wagon. I find you feel somewhat more restricted when in a vehicle, and when in a wagon you feel more like you are in their habitat. Also I really like the breed.

Did you come up with this idea by yourself? I never heard of any zoo or safari park using horse-drawn carriages to take visitors out on safari. Do you have some concerns about the zoo animals bothering the horses.

I would like to learn the husbandry of Addax or Scimitar Horned Oryx.

Did you ever look at the book "Exotics on the Range: The Texas Example"? It has very valuable information on both species and many others living on the range in Texas.

Thank you all for your words of encouragement. I am glad I can come to you guys for questions, and support. I am excited to see what your ideas are like and plans for your zoo. Like you have done for me, I wish everyone the best of luck on starting their own zoo!

Well thank you very much. I'm glad that we can be of assistance to you. Hope to share my ideas with you and answer any more of your questions real soon.

18. Zoos Int

Zoos Int Well-Known Member

Many zoos are in very bad repair .The problem is not all of us follow or have the same dreams and ideals .To build a zoo ,run it ,market ,care for all the animals as well staffing issues and the like you have to have a great deal of experience and many talents .A so called expert can tell you many things ,you have to be on all levels or have staff that know how the zoo ticks as well how you tick and not clash in any way except on poistive issues .Money talks and bulls--t walks is all i have to say do it once do it well .

19. kbaker116

Thanks for telling me about the book and ZAA newsletter. Exotics on the Range sounds interesting. Do you think I should buy it? Or get it from the library book exchange.

The horse drawn carts I can't take credit for. A few non accredited safari parks, typically Amish run have Percheron, or Belgian drawn wagons. You would think they horses would have a problem with it but they don't actually. From a young age the foals are brought alongside the mares, through the park. This helps them get acclimated to animals and halter train them at a young age. This is good because they still get the comfort of their mom being there.

Wisp O' Mist likes this.
  20. kbaker116

Just thought I'd add that I'm planning on volunteering at a Vet Clinic. They have Emu, Black Swan, Arctic Foxes, Muntjac Deer, Red Kangaroos, Parma Wallabies, Eurasian Eagle Owl, Turkey Vulture, Kookubara, Aldabara Tortoise, Two Toed Sloths, and Alligators. Once I turn 16 I will be able to volunteer there. I think this will be a great experince. I will gain quite a bit of knowledge by working with these animals and vets.