Join our zoo community

Starting Your Own Zoo

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by kbaker116, 2 Sep 2009.

1. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Don't you mean idea's & Lake's :p

2. f3rn4nd0f10r3s

f3rn4nd0f10r3s Member

3. Gilbert

Gilbert Member

Hi there I am actually selling a Tropical bird and animal park. This is a great opportunity to obtain Lanzarote's only Tropical bird & animal park due to planned retirement of the owners. Situated to the North of the island with the most spectacular views overlooking the beautiful island of la Graciosa.

home

The Park is stocked with over 1,200 Tropical birds and animal species which is spread over 50,000 of land (11 acres), of which some 25,000m2 consists of aviaries and enclosures, botanical gardens, pools, waterfalls, cactus garden, bar/cafeteria.

There is also a indoor show theatre which seats 200 people which is used for the spectacular parrot show. Next to the theatre is the bar/cafeteria with a large terrace which overlooks the entire park.

There is a 3 bedroom,2 bathroom villa within the park, lounge, dinning area, kitchen and utility area plus there is a separate office adjacent to the villa.

This is a fantastic and rare opportunity to own and run one of Lanzarote's top tour attractions at a very attractive price.

With over 345 days of sunshine a year and open all year round this could be the time to start a new lifestyle and enjoy owning and working in a fabulous warm environment.

home

Gilbert Sharrard

4. Gilbert

Gilbert Member

I am selling a Tropical bird & animal park in Lanzarote due to planned retirement of the owners. Situated to the North of the island with the most spectacular views overlooking the beautiful island of la Graciosa.

The Park is stocked with over 1,200 Tropical birds and animal species which is spread over 50,000 of land (11 acres), of which some 25,000m2 consists of aviaries and enclosures, botanical gardens, pools, waterfalls, cactus garden, bar/cafeteria.

There is also a indoor show theatre which seats 200 people which is used for the spectacular parrot show. Next to the theatre is the bar/cafeteria with a large terrace which overlooks the entire park.

There is a 3 bedroom,2 bathroom villa within the park, lounge, dinning area, kitchen and utility area plus there is a separate office adjacent to the villa.

This is a fantastic and rare opportunity to own and run one of Lanzarote's top tour attractions at a very attractive price.

With over 345 days of sunshine a year and open all year round this could be the time to start a new lifestyle and enjoy owning and working in a fabulous warm environment.

home

Gilbert Sharrard

5. Duckbill

Duckbill Active Member

I think if I were starting a facility, I would start with a multispecies exhibit with African hoofstock (think the Africa Trail of the SDWAP on a smaller scale), surrounding that larger exhibit with smaller enclosures one at a time.

But I would rather start an animal sanctuary/breeding facility for an SSP (BIG CATS) than a zoo personally and offer private tours for donors rather than general admission, attached to the sanctuary would be a classroom/education facility for local school groups to attend at low cost. This is all of course assuming I win the powerball jackpot.

6. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

I know what I mean`t but as normal what I mean`t and posted are not the same,but at least it made sense for a change:D:p

7. MinxFox

MinxFox Member

I think I would start off with just a few things. I mainly would want to focus on exhibit quality and not so much on amount of animals. I already have experiance with peafowl, which I have five of. I like to play zt2 a lot designing zoos, that is pretty fun. My dream would be a bird zoo with eventually maybe other creatures. I would really love to have a giant indoor tropical aviary with coi and maybe green peafowl inside. I would probably start off with peafowl being a base animal that I would have several varieties of and I would sell some getting more money and if anyone has a parrot or some type of bird they own that they can't take care of anymore they could give it to me to use as a new bird. Of course a giant indoor aviary will cost a lot, so I would work my way up to that point. We already have a 40x50 aviary for my 5 peafowl that is 15ft tall and it has bamboo, cannas, ect planted in it. The netting overtop was pretty cheep so I would just start off with simple setups like that and just add inexpensive plants that look nice ect. Also I would love to have an old little shop were I could sell my art and stuff. I think it would be pretty cool to educate people on peafowl and other birds and also sell peafowl, that is to people who could take care of them, not just anyone. I would also love to do bird shows too! Eventually I would want to have the whole area planted. I have 10 acres to work with.
    So do you think this dream could work? This wouldn't be my only job of course but as something fun to do what do you think?

8. secretvalleyf

secretvalleyf Member

we have an open farm in ireland and are looking into more conservation and rescue of primates. even with the stock we have and small amount of staff(3!) and a few helpers it is extremly hard work longer than long hours and takes over your life! you would have to beextremly dedicated and have more than sufficient funds incase of emergencies!(the one thing we lack!) does anyone know of any funding that you can get if its more rescue and conservation?

9. Dallaspachyderm

Dallaspachyderm Well-Known Member

Hi, I have 300 acres in Many, Louisiana. Currently nothing has been done on this farm in around thirty years. With the last livestock leaving in 2002. It would take a lot of work. But I would LOVE to tun this into an elephant breeding center, through the importation of elephants from the orphanage in sri lanka or African elephants in semi/full captivity in Africa. I have an entire binder full of site plans I have created. It includes a 25,000 sq ft bard with fourteen cow stalls, a massive community room, keeper areas, a bull wing capable of holding two adult males and several young ones, and an observation deck. A road seperate the property, and I would love to work in protected contact, so I would have to build elephant bridges that go over the road. I have sever designs for that as well! Other buildings on site include: the J-Byrd Research Institue, The conservaion bungalow that overlooks the lima bean shaped pool and main pasture, a bus station for daily bus rides that take an indepth look at the park and its pupose, a duo of cabins elevated so they can see the pastures for spend the nights. An elephant demo/bird show ampitheatre, A restraunt/giftshop/viewing deck, a flashy entrance pavillion, and a walking path with eye level views of elephants.

With such a large facility the possibility for other species is possible, depending on which species of elephant I go with the species list would change... For african: Addra gazell, Grevvy's zebra, eastern bongo, black rhinoceros, aboot's duiker, curvier's gazelle, hirola, and Upemba lechwe. For Asian: Goitered Gazelle, Black buck, Indian rhinoceros, Manipur brow antlered deer, and pygmy hog. For the bird collection regardless either for show or display: East african crowned crane, White pelican, Shoe bill, Saddle billed stork, Hawk headed parrot, Afircan gray parrot, Egyptian vulture, vulturine guinea fowl, helmeted guinea fowl.

The center would be called: "The J-BYRD CONSERVATION CENTER"

Tell me what y'all think:)

10. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

Your collection is missing two very important species, @Dallaspachyderm: the Cash cow (Bos aurifer) and the Efficient Paper-shuffler (Talpa bureaucratica perita) The latter should not to be confused with the way more common subspecies T. b. ignava & iniqua. Both cash cow and Efficient Paper-shuffler are extremely rare and do not thrive well in captivity. So establishing a self-sustaining population of them is rather uncommon.
    If you happen to find any living specimen of the two species, let me know; I could
    always use one. ;)

The other two Talpa bureaucratica subspecies, however, tend to breed like rabbits. They are therefore considered highly invasive pests in most countries, but evade all means to control them. Unfortunately, such pipe dreams as yours are highly attractive to them. Beware!

11. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think asian elephant would be a little better in the humid environment of Louisiana than african (although I am sure both would fare well). Asian is also more practical because you could possibly acquire some from circuses. I doubt the USDA (or Fish & Wildlife, whoever approves such things) would allow importation of elephants from Sri Lanka for a facility with no elephants yet and zero experience. You need to start somewhere and obviously the AZA is not going to give away any animals to a new and unaccredited facility. Since asians are more common in private facilities and are breeding regularly at Ringling Bros facility in Florida, that would seem to be the way to go. You will still likely need hands on experience first through an internship somewhere, either a zoo or a private elephant facility such as Have Trunk Will Travel (California).

12. Dallaspachyderm

Dallaspachyderm Well-Known Member

Yes, I have decided that Asians would be a better fit now (although Africans are my favorite!). As for the accredation, I would undoubtedly seek grants, and the support of nearby zoos (even though I don't particularly like the nearby zoos) Audobon, Baton Rouge, and Fort Worth.
    I understand that this project would need experience, I would never claim I could do it myself. But, I think once accredited and functioning, the AZA and SSP, would be very open to imports from Sri Lanka and Thailand. It's been a while since new blood has been brought in to the U.S population (1997). I think I have been planning this center for three years now, and it just keeps getting more practical.

I would try to get my first elephants from circuses anyway! If I am not accredited before hand.

13. MinxFox

MinxFox Member

Okay so what would be a good start for starting a bird zoo. Obviously I can't just have my giant indoor aviary right off the bat, so I am guessing I should just get used to raising my peafowl, wait for them to have chicks so I can get used to raising them, then get more kinds of birds or more kinds of peafowl...OR what if I just had mainly a peafowl zoo with a few small birds too? I pretty much could start now if you think about it. All I would need is a gift shop, a sign, and probably beautifuy the place a bit more, ect and then I would have a start. After all I plan on starting off just selling extra peafowl and plants. I do know of a person who has a setup similar to that. Then I guess once that gets going I could just keep on adding on to it. We are in a great location for this too!

14. dreamingspider

dreamingspider Member

another way to possibly get some exotic's...
    and this might sound bad... but have you thought about contacting the spca.... they run into alot of animal's in need including bird's. i do not know how many people who have watch animal cop's but if anyone has... granted it's very sad... but they run into exotic bird's and a veriety of other exotic's that need help. even if they do not have anything now or you donot have the space, etc. they will keep you in mind. and keep your number. bet you would get a call about a few.. in a year or two at the least.

when i was nine. living in another state. i ran into abandoned parrot hawk. i took him to the vet that was right down the street and way scard that they would blame me. i was a kid. but learned, i donot think they ment for me to hear. basicly afew dozen exotic birds and some illegal one's had also been found in different place's in that city.
    the parrot hawk i found did find a home with the vet who took a look that day. even still i would strongly sugest looking at place's like- vet, adoption center's, spaca.
    even if they have none, try to leave contact information. they would like to have that kind of info on hand.
    good luck:)

15. dreamingspider

dreamingspider Member

hey all,
    ever since i was in juior high i wanted to open kinda theme park. don't not know if i'm up for that now. but i was working really heard on my senior project even though i was not in high school yet.
    the information that i dug for, wow. it's really nice to see that im not the odd man out for once in my life. everyone, even family thought i was insane. i still do not agree with them, but its still a big relief that im not alone in the dream.

like i said. i do not think weather or not if i will ever build my theme park... i know that it would have plently of people interested in going and enjoying it. but for now, i think i will work on small and work on that. (oh, and if you really want to know, i would do all i could to block out the noise from the rides, from the animal's that would not be fare to them. stress... esh)

i'm not quit sure what my idea could be placed as. my idea of what a zoo is has both big and small animals. At the moment that's not exactly to my teast at this moment. i useta work 3 or 4 jobs at a time and most of um were full time. so i am taking a brake. that way i can get back into my art and research my idea.
    nice thing is that a good portion of research i already have learned.

was thinking of starting it as a caffee shop and start collectiog some birds to have an avairyy, along with a big paludarium, stuff like that. i love paludarium's so much. and hope when i get a new camra to maybe post one or too. i will expand from there. and i know that i would very much like to stay in this state. i have goal's in mind that cover a broad range.
    i like to help support both wildlife population along with art program's in the school's. and in alot of way's they would help suport one another. by doing art Competition thoughout the state and help get the attention of scholarship's and other program's, for the schools and children.
    with holding the Competition, it would get the camunity to come and well, spend money. there would be more than just a coffee shop and a few bird's by then. i would have 30 or more acres. though for what i have in mind i might need more than that.
    i do have a few seeds of an idea of what i would like to have, and i know that it would work. just confused on what kind of zoning it would be considered.
    let's see- avairy, a few small animal's. all havng a good size exibit, love to have a lyer bird... huh... that's away's down the road. i would be puting aportion of the income away to be able to help zoo's that in need when disasters hit and stuff like that.
    the coffee shop i know would be a big hit and hope to open chain's that would also be putting money aside to help other endangered animal organization's. all of them would be taking advantage of using renewable resource's, like solar power and stuff like that.
    the few questions i have.
    does anyone know any zoo's that are trying to do that?
    and what kind of zoning that i would need for it? it make's it difficult cause of the animal and honestly, i would try very heard to build the kind of place i have in mind. because none of the building i see would work for what i have in mind.

16. LizardInsanity

LizardInsanity Well-Known Member

I am designing a huge zoo with almost 600 species in it. Would anyone mind if I posted some information on it?

17. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Sounds good, especially of you have a map/plan as well. Maybe in a new thread though.

18. LizardInsanity

I have a few maps but not one whole map as of yet. I will start a new topic tomorrow. I won't be listing all the species because my cousin deleted a bunch of files of my laptop by accident and lost the list.

19. nrg800

nrg800 Well-Known Member

I'm also designing one now! When I've done more I'll showcase it!! xD

20. LizardInsanity

My Beginnings of Zoo Owner Ship

I would probably start out in a large warehouse and be more like a pet shop then a zoo. There would be small mammals (rabbits,guinea pigs,mice etc), reptiles (corns,balls,leopard geckos,bearded dragons, Herman's tortoise,red eared slider) and small birds (budgies and cockatiels). The entrance would be made of bamboo with a thatch roof. Along the wall near the entrance would be a big aquarium with spectacled caiman,peacock bass, angel fish, guppies, pacu, stingray, and other South American fish. On the other side of the building is a check out counter, gift displays, and cages for reticulated python,African rock python, and green anacondas. Next are exhibits for smaller snakes,both venomous and non-venomous, followed by a huge tank for poison dart frogs, day geckos, and eye-lash vipers. More reptiles like lizards and tortoises are next. Along the back wall is a row of staked tanks for rare and unusual fish (elephant trunk fish, knife fish, hatchet fish, spiny eel, etc). Next is a bamboo exhibit with a meshed front. It is a mixed cockatoo enclosure with major Mitchel's , umbrella, and salmon crested cockatoo. Also along this wall are enclosures for water monitors, and a large pond for red eared sliders and koi. The whole next wall is home to small birds and common marmoset. A stacked cage system has African soft fur rats, spiny mice, gerbils, hamsters, cavys, jirds, hedgehogs and other small mammals. The main attraction of the building is a large pen in the center holding; sulcata tortoise,Bennet's wallaby,Indian muntjac, Flemish giant rabbits and other friendly herbivores that visitors can feed and pet. Lastly, an exhibit for Egyptian fruit bats is by a door which takes you outside. Outside you find outdoor flight aviaries for rescued raptors like owls and hawks, and aviaries for the macaws and cockatoos as well. There are a row of nice, moderate size cages with perches, branches, and logs for red fox, ferret, chinchilla, green iguana, bobcat, coatimundi, ring tailed lemur, and toe toed sloth. There is a pen for alpacas,rheas,maras, and capybara as well as a pen for ostritch,emu,axis deer,fallow deer,white tailed deer, pygmy goat, pot bellied pig, horse, donkey, and American alligator, all spacious with grass and with plenty of trees rocks and logs for them.