Join our zoo community

Status of Exotic Bears in U.S. Zoos

Discussion in 'United States' started by Coelacanth18, 20 Jul 2018.

1. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

On my visit today, there was a single condor in the exhibit rather then a bear, so the zoo doesn't have Andean/Spectacled bear.

2. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

They have not held this species for quite a while. I was there two years ago and the species was already gone and replaced by a condor.

ThylacineAlive and Yi Qi like this.
  3. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

The San Diego Zoo no longer exhibits Giant Pandas.

savetherhino likes this.
  4. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Racine no longer has Andean Bear.

savetherhino likes this.
  5. Corangurilla

Corangurilla Well-Known Member

Neither does Toledo.
    Or Cincinnati.
    ZooTampa no longer keeps Sloth Bear, but they do have a Sun Bear.

6. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

Memphis Zoo will no longer hold giant panda as their contract is up.

登录 Facebook

7. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They did say something about "continuing their partnership", as I doubt they're going to leave a decent-sized yard and two dayrooms just for something smaller like red pandas or even an Asian black bear.

8. PSO

PSO Well-Known Member

San diego did exactly that and would have thought they would do something more interesting than red panda.

None of this shocks me about giving up giant pandas. Having friends/colleagues that worked with giant pandas at two of the facilities, it sounds like a much bigger headache (and expense) than dealing with the Hunts and Giant Eland. Atlanta makes sense given their breeding record and having funding more so than San Diego, Memphis and D.C. specifically for pandas but will be interesting what the future holds for them as well.

9. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I sure hope that Memphis doesn't get more pandas. As beloved as they are with some members of the public, they're a species, in my opinion, not worth the cost of keeping (over a million a year!), and with little transparency as to where the funds go once in China. It would be one thing if the million dollar loan went to Panda conservation, but unfortunately the Chinese Government isn't very transparent about what the funds go to. Memphis (and Smithsonian and Atlanta) would be better off choosing different uses for their Panda complexes- whether it be swapping to a different species or re-theming the area altogether.

10. Persephone

Persephone Well-Known Member

I haven’t been to Memphis so can’t comment on its ideal replacement. Atlanta, if they ever lose theirs, could retheme in the area easily enough. The Smithsonian couldn’t as they have a big (South)East Asia complex around it. Maybe they could move the sloth bears in or fill the space with Asian hoofstock, which they don’t have a great deal of.

11. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

To be fair, SDZ didn't exactly have a great big space for them..

~Thylo

12. PSO

PSO Well-Known Member

I will agree with the space size but red pandas are the new meerkats, ring tail lemurs, sloths etc

BenFoxster likes this.
  13. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Won't disagree in general but at least San Diego keeps Chinese Red Panda, which is significantly rarer in zoos than the nominate (sub)species and also not kept in Europe.

~Thylo

Neil chace likes this.
  14. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've said this before, and I'll say it again, as much as I like Asian hoofstock, the ideal choice for National Zoo if they lose pandas is to move the tigers onto Asia Trail. Lion-Tiger Hill is one of the older, weaker exhibits in the zoo, and they'd benefit from giving a new, more modern home to their Tigers. With some slight renovations, the Panda space could become a great new home for Tigers, freeing up Lion-Tiger Hill for either a larger lion exhibit or some other sort of new development.

15. Persephone

Persephone Well-Known Member

I honestly forgot they had tigers. Yeah, no, agreed. That’s a much more suitably sized exhibit for the species.

BenFoxster and Neil chace like this.
  16. PSO

PSO Well-Known Member

Though I highly doubt DC will get out of pandas completely, I think that's a great idea to move the tigers in.

Also I don't want Memphis to redo the China area. I personally enjoyed that area, both exhibits and species.

17. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey In the Swamp Premium Member 5+ year member

The National zoo sloth bear habitat is already really good, arguably it would be a downgrade to move them over.

BenFoxster likes this.
  18. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Smithsonian is unlikely to be going out of them, in a Connect article from a few months back they stated that they are committed to Giant Pandas and are already in negotiations on contract renewal.

Giant Pandas

19. Andrew_NZP

Andrew_NZP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I feel like the National Zoo has built their whole brand around them having pandas, its their big selling point to tourists. Why should you spend some of your limited time in D.C. at the zoo over any of the museums/monuments/historic sites etc., especially since you likely have a local zoo already? Well to see the pandas obviously! I'm not saying there's zero chance they stop keeping pandas, I'd just think it'd be highly unlikely it was the zoo that made that decision.

20. GFgomez

GFgomez Well-Known Member

Do you know what happened to all the bears At la zoo ? They seamed go have had all bears at one point .