Join our zoo community

Stone Zoo Stone Zoo

Discussion in 'United States' started by okapikpr, 22 Apr 2009.

1. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

That's a shame because I like the place better than Franklin Park.

3. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

News outlets like to make things larger than they are. All issues are rectified or being done so for a September revisit from the committee. There is public transportation to Stone Zoo, but unfortunately people are lazy and can't walk a mile from the Train Station or 1,000 feet from the Bus Stop. What Zoo doesn't have aging utilities or mechanicals? It's par for the course. Last year, while not doing much to see in the terms of new exhibits, they spent a chunk of money on a fixture of the Zoo called Windows to the Wild. All roofing, skylights, structure, HVAC and utilities were replaced. It was no small feat or cheap and cost upwards over half a million usd. Last year they added Whooping Crane and American Alligators which believe it or not, were a huge hit. It is short of some additional exhibits and complexes that will push it further. It will never be a million visitor destination. Rather, it is a local gem that has fans and can spend time with their families and not be worn out. I bet they won't lose accreditation. It has been a place in the town where it is for over one hundred years. State shut it down. It reopened few years layer with one polar bear, llamas and three male colobus monkeys and has grown leaps and bounds since. It may not be a SDZ or STLZ, but it has its place. The staff are passionate and long-term. Some have been there since the 1970's. It's hard to find caring employees that will stick it out no matter what. You can't find that these days. Zoo employees bop around from Zoo to Zoo. The ones that put in a piece of their lifetime. Those are the rare ones that we hope our Zoos hire and hold onto.

4. wensleydale

I found the staff at Stone Zoo to be very informative and kind, the type of person you want to see in charge of the zoo.

5. Gulo gulo

American Alligators arrived yesterday for the season. There's also some birds in Windows to the Wild called tinamou.

6. Gulo gulo

A Markhor kid was born on-exhibit. The little one is bounding all over the mountain following Mum and the rest of the herd.

7. ZooElephantMan

ZooElephantMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

8. Gulo gulo

The Gibbon that was born October 16, 2014 that passed recently died of inflammatory liver disease. The pair and their son are still on-show.

Caribbean Flamingo chicks are still hatching. Hope for 100% HR of 23-23.

9. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Having just visited the zoo, there are a few updates I can provide.
    The cougars Gulo gulo mentioned actually are on exhibit, or at least one was this morning. While the main viewing window has a wooden board covering it until it can be repaired, the side viewing windows allowed a look at Zeus in his exhibit.
    There are two new Linnaeus' Two-Toed Sloths named Nero and Luhesta in the Elegant Crested Tinamou exhibit. They come from Franklin Park Zoo.
    Despite not being on the map and not being listed on the zoo's website, there is a Gray Fox held in Yukon Creek.
    The bird show yielded a pleasant surprise in the form of a Tawny Eagle, which I didn't know were in any AZA zoos.

10. Gulo gulo

Iggy, the Northern white-cheeked gibbon has recently had a baby. Baby and Mom are on-exhibit.

11. ZooElephantMan

It is so terrible that the cougar viewing window cracked and has to be repaired. ZNE has enough monetary issues and this is just something that didn't need to happen but they have to pay for it anyways.

12. wensleydale

Excellent news!

13. ZooElephantMan

The zoo just announced reaccredition on Facebook

14. wensleydale

That's a piece of good news.

15. Gulo gulo

16. Gulo gulo

An Eastern Black & White Colobus was born.

17. Gulo gulo

ZooLights starts 11/27 and runs through 1/3. Starts the night after Thanksgiving, a first in its twenty year run. Walk the Zoo and meet a reindeer up close and enjoy the lights. There's also Camel Rides (additional fee) being offered during the nightly event.

18. wensleydale

I was at the Zoo today. Most of the animals were out, the only ones I didn't see were the Roadrunner, Capybara, and the Kookaburra. Most everyone was very active as well, excepting the Llamas and the Jaguar. The Zoo wasn't too crowded either, I guess its the benefit of going during the off season.

My highlights are as follows: there are two new Linnaeus's Two Toed Sloths named "Nero" and "Lunesta." The Gibbons were outside for most of my visit. I saw the two adults, their older son and the one born last fall. The parents were grooming each other, the older juvenile kind of sat there sleeping, and the youngest one has started walking but cannot yet brachiate more than a couple of paces, that is to say he walks as well as any healthy human but has not yet mastered brachiation. Its funny, I have to wonder if he has been influenced by the humans around him. Unfortunately they went off exhibit around three in the afternoon, after I saw the keepers having what seemed like a serious conversation, I hope there isn't something wrong.

The Colobus monkeys are being very protective of their baby, I didn't get a good look at it. What I did get a good look at was the Mountain Lion, she spent most of the day stalking the squirrels outside her enclosure. Also, later in my visit I went back to see her and she was near the glass waiting for the keeper to feed her. Unfortunately the glass has yet to be repaired. The Jaguar spent most of the day sleeping.

I only saw one otter but it was very active. Also, the Snow Leopards and Mexican Wolves were very active and visible today, the one of the Snow Leopards was even stalking a visitor on the other side of the fence, before returning to its perch high in the exhibit. The Markhour visible were as well. The Caribou recently lost their antlers and one of the keepers was showing one of the antlers and some of the velvet to visitors.

The Bald Eagles seem to have some kind of nest going on in their enclosure. Also, I got a good look at the Flamingos. They are mesmerizing. The Hyacinth Macaws were preening each other. Unfortunately there was a pair of mice in their exhibit, I suppose it is inevitable for some to get in but Macaw's space was otherwise clean.

The Lynx's were active as well, with one of them even vocalizing. I was hoping I would hear the Mountain Lion whistle but I suppose you can't have everything. Finally the Bears were being very tolerant of humans today. One of them was right up against the glass, I got see right in his eyes and up his nose!

19. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

20. Gulo gulo

The Animal Discovery Center has been razed. A new entry and education center will be coming along eventually. Lupe, the last coywolf is gone and the 403m² exhibit is undergoing renovation and some tidying before chacoan peccary can debut.