Join our zoo community

Stone Zoo Stone Zoo

Discussion in 'United States' started by okapikpr, 22 Apr 2009.

1. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Is Windows to the Wild still open? I thought they did away with it for the new Caribbean exhibit.

~Thylo

2. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It's still open. The old flamingo exhibit now has African spur-thigh tortoises. The other Exhibits in there are for inca tern, bali mynah, rhinoceros hornbill, cottontop tamarin, linneaus two-toed sloth, rock hyrax, and possibly a few other things I'm not remembering at the moment.

Kifaru Bwana and ThylacineAlive like this.
  3. PSO

PSO Well-Known Member

Otters were supposed to be in Sawmill Creek exhibit as well. I would also like to see the old monkey house(Windows to the Wild) gone as well. Last time I talked to someone there, I was told the expense to tare it down would be pricey, hence it still being in existence.

4. Neil chace

What is this Sawmill Creek exhibit you talk about? I don't think I've ever heard of this plan.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  5. PSO

PSO Well-Known Member

It was a part of master plan that came out around mid 2000s-2010. Stone was to build the Sawmill Creek exhibit which tied into the preexisting Yukon trail (eagles,lynx, fox etc.) Highlights were to be brown bear (possibly black as well), otters, beaver and moose. FPZ was to build a new children's zoo (which they did) Asia gardens (move around current asian species and add komodo and orangs) and expand the giraffes to have white rhino added. There was additional plans but that's what I can remember off the top of my head. I also remember it was further split the two zoos zoogeographically, stone being the Americas and FPZ being Asia, Africa and australia

6. PSO

PSO Well-Known Member

Looking at the first post on this thread it has some info on it. Forgot they wanted to add nile crocs to FPZ

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

Stone Zoo have updated the map to include the bears now:

Zoo New England

TinoPup and nczoofan like this.
  8. Animallover360

Animallover360 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what animal is in the indoor spider monkey exhibit now that the two spider monkeys they had passed away?

9. Neil chace

I have no idea, but would suspect it's still empty. Most transfers tend to be on hold for the winter anyways, and the zoo director has said in the past he wants to get rid of that Building as well.

10. Animallover360

I was at Stone Zoo the other day, and the macaws from the Caribbean Coast exhibit were in the old spider Monkey exhibit. The macaws will probably go back outside in the summer. Maybe a new animal will go in that exhibit in the summer.

Smaggledagle likes this.
  11. Neil chace

The macaws make sense as a temporary use of that enclosure, as they'd otherwise be off Exhibit. Personally, I don't think it's a smart idea to choose a longterm resident for that space. Windows to the Wild is easily the worst quality exhibit in the zoo, and now that the flamingos aren't in it I see no reason for it to stay. Ideally, the zoo's next project should be demolishing that building and opening a new Exhibit in that space, ideally something indoors.

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  12. Animallover360

I was at the Stone Zoo today, and instead of macaws where the spider monkeys used to be, there was a silvery-cheeked hornbill in the exhibit.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  13. Neil chace

Was this species ever kept by ZooNewEngland before? And what zoo did this individual come from?

14. Animallover360

I do not believe that Zoo New England has kept this species before, and I am not sure which zoo this individual came from.

15. Okapi Lover

Okapi Lover Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There has been at least one silvery cheeked hornbill at Stone at least since September 2019, when I first visited the Zoo. It was formerly displayed in one of the interior exhibits of that building.

Attached Files:

Neil chace likes this.
  16. Neil chace

Thats definitely a silvery-cheeked hornbill. Probably the same bird that is now on exhibit. It wouldn't surprise me if its the same one we used to have at Capron. Our two hornbills got in a fight a few years ago and one then left the zoo- and I never learned where it went to, could've been the Stone Zoo.

17. Animallover360

I didn’t know that. Thanks for the information :)

StoppableSan likes this.
  18. Animallover360

The African-Spurred Tortoises are now on exhibit at Windows to the Wild. Tortoise feedings will start up again soon :)

zoo_enthusiast and StoppableSan like this.
  19. Animallover360

For the season

bgal72 likes this.
  20. Animallover360

A Whooping Crane chick has hatched! The egg was laid at the Stone Zoo, but was then transported the International Crane Foundation where it hatched. The hope is to release this chick into the wild later this year.