Join our zoo community

Storm's storks in captivity

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by vogelcommando, 30 Apr 2016.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member

Storm's storks are endangered in the wild and very rare in captivity. In 1988 I was so lucky to "discover" the first specimens ( 2 young males ) ever kept outside their natural distribution. Birdpark Walsrode had obtained 2 storks as being Woolly-necked storks and when they arrived at the park I directly saw this were not Woolly-necked but Storm's storks. Untill mid-1989 I took care for these birds and then left for a job at another zoo.
    Now I made a small - and almost surtainly incomplete - list of zoos which have kept this species and I hope other ZooChatters can give additional information about the current status.
    Europe :
    It seem easy to find out which zoos have kept Storm's storks in Europe because "we" have Zootierliste and here 2 collections are mentioned:
    Walsrode - Germany : as mentioned above 2 males arrived in 1988 and lived untill 1991/1992. A new pair was obtained in 2012 and these are still at the park.
    Vogelpark Niendorf - Timmendorfer Strand - Germany : Should have kept the species in the 1990-ties.
    A third collection - not mentioned by Zootierliste - also kept the species ( personal contact with the director of this zoo ). In 1989 I got a letter from the Vogelpark Schmiding ( now Zoo Schmiding ) in Austria in which he had some questions about the species because they also had obtained 1.

USA :
    San Diego Zoo : had the world-first breeding with the species and if I'm informed right they now only have some ( number ? ) males left.
    San Diego Safari Park : some of the storks bred at the zoo went to the Safari Park, don't know if it is still kept there.
    Bronx Zoo - New York : Species is still kept at the Bronx Zoo ( number, sexes ? )
    Zoo Maimi : in 2013 a single male was kept at this zoo, current status ?
    Forth Worth Zoo : in 2013 they seemed to have had a pair, current status ?

Asia :
    I only know Zoo Negara - Malaysia had 2 ( a pair ) in 2013, current status ?

As you see not much information and I would like to learn more about the history and current status of the species esp. in the USA and in Asia.

2. zooboy28

zooboy28 Moderator Staff Member

I saw Storm's Stork at both San Diego Zoo and Safari Park in 2014. Regulars there can give a more up to date answer.
    I don't recall them at Zoo Negara earlier this year, but will have to go through my photos to check.

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member

they're in a former-walk-through aviary by the other birds, but it isn't labelled and when I was there I missed seeing them as well. You can only see into the aviary from one point so it isn't surprising if you missed them as well.
    http://www.zoochat.com/654/storms-stork-may-2013-a-349079/

4. zooboy28

Yes, I remember the one you mean Chlidonias, fairly sure I wasn't able to spot much in there, but will double check later.

5. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member

While I was there in 2013 Seaworld San Diego had at least 1 Storms Stork. Not sure if they still have it though.

6. zooboy28

Whereabouts was it displayed?

7. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member

Bronx Zoo currently holds 2.0 storks.
    San Diego Zoo holds 1.1
    SD Safari Park holds 3.2 - the older female came from Zoo Negara in 1995; the younger female hatched at San Diego in 2003 and was on loan to SeaWorld for several years before returning to SD-WAP in 2013.

8. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member

Thank you very much MikeG, exactly the information I'm looking for !
    Do you maybe know more about the status of the species at Zoo Miami and Fort Worth ?

9. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member

As far as I know, Miami still has a single male.
    I don't know about Fort Worth holding this species. Hopefully someone else can update us.

10. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member

Fort Worth has a pair, it's probably safe to assume they are 1.1. I don't think they've bred there. They are displayed among a pair of white naped cranes and a few other waterfowl species.

11. threeple61

threeple61 Well-Known Member

The birds at Walsrode came from the US. There is also a single bird at the Denver Zoo.

12. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. Premium Member

I saw the species at Zoo Negara in 2000 - not sure if they've kept them continuously since or not.