Join our zoo community

Open Strange Error Message

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by LaughingDove, 17 Apr 2017.

1. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

When trying to go to the 'more options' button when replying to a thread I am getting an weird error message from chrome that says:

"This page isn’t working

Chrome detected unusual code on this page and blocked it to protect your personal information (for example, passwords, phone numbers and credit cards).
    Try visiting the site's homepage.

ERR_BLOCKED_BY_XSS_AUDITOR"

Hopefully this will go away later, but I just thought it was worth posting here in case Sim wants to look into it, though it might be on my end of course,

2. LaughingDove

I got around the problem by posting what I needed to in Microsoft Edge (Internet Explorer) since a google search says it doesn't have an XSS auditor but I'm not sure what the problem is with the 'more options' button in Chrome.

3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

From what I've found about this error message it seems to be a bug in Chrome 57 which has possibly been fixed in Chrome 58 (which is still in beta - not generally available yet).

There is a discussion about the problem on the XenForo website and they are aware of it - they don't believe it to be a problem with the forum software and are monitoring what happens at the Chrome end.

The only workaround at this point would be to use a different browser.

Can I ask - was it one specific thread it occurs on or does it happen on all threads? Can you link to any threads you've experienced this error on? It might help with troubleshooting the error.

Thanks for reporting it!

4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

For what it's worth, I also use Chrome and have *not* encountered this error.

5. Simon Hampel

From what I've been reading, the error is triggered when there is specific content on the page being sent to another page - which is what happens when you click the "More Options..." button - it sends all the content you've already completed in the quick-reply form to the full reply page. If there is certain content contained in the post, Chrome mistakenly believes it is an XSS attack.

So you not only need the correct version of Chrome - you need to click the button on the problematic page for it to occur (to be clear - there is nothing wrong with the page - it's Chrome which only thinks there is - hence it being labelled a "bug" in Chrome).

6. LaughingDove

I got the error when trying to embed an image into this thread LaughingDove Visits Thailand when I copied the BB Code from a picture on ZooChat into the quick reply box and then pressed the 'more options' button.

I have not been able to reproduce this error apart from when it was repeatedly happening yesterday, so it seems to have been a one-off thing.

7. Simon Hampel

Can you recall exactly which picture it was you used - and what the BB Code was (eg IMG vs IMG with thumbnail vs GALLERY)?

8. Simon Hampel

Don't worry - I found it.

Clicking Reply on a post with photos embedded in it and then clicking More Options triggers the error.

Thanks @LaughingDove!

9. Simon Hampel

FWIW - there is a (very technical) discussion here about the bug: 703093 - XSS auditor false positive due to base tag - chromium - Monorail

There is no discussion of a potential fix yet.

We have a possible workaround in the short term - but I'm reluctant to deploy it unless I know lots of people are now experiencing the problem.

To experience the problem you must be using a specific version of Chrome (on any platform) - so people who haven't upgraded to the latest versions of Chrome won't have the problem - nor will people using other browsers.

The developers have assured us this isn't an issue for the upcoming XenForo v2.0 because they've completely changed the way that part of the system works - but we're still several months away from the new release to be ready for use and it will take me a while to get ZooChat ready to upgrade anyway.

10. LaughingDove

Just FYI I got the same error message again when going to 'more options' as I was posting this post.

This is only my second time getting this error though so it's not very frequent.