Join our zoo community

Hamerton Zoo Park Strange goings on

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by sooty mangabey, 17 Sep 2009.

1. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Recently got a copy of Hamerton's new guidebook (not bad, not brilliant).

In the back of said publication are a series of zoo rules - all the predicatble things - don't feed the animals, keep on the right side of the fences and so on.

But number 10 on the list caught my eye: "DO NOT urinate or defecate anywhere in the park or car park except in the pans and urinals in the toilets provided specifically for this purpose - or allow or encourage children in your care to do so."

Good to have got that one cleared up.

Does Hamerton suffer disproportionately from visitors finding taking a break behind the cheetah enclosure?

2. foz

foz Well-Known Member

This has got to be the funniest thing ever associated with zoo visitors :D

I would of imagined this would of gone without saying, but then you would think feeding the animals would be equally as obvious :(

From a scientific point of view it could offer a unique enrichment :D (joking)

3. Baldur

Baldur Well-Known Member

In the 120 zoos or so I have visited around the world, I cannot recall having ever urinated in public. Not because I didn't need it at times when having hard time finding a bathroom, but more because I didn't want to break the local laws. I can only imagine what it would have cost me, had I taken the chance when visiting zoos in Singapore or Malaysia :) But here in Iceland we traditionally take a piss almost whereever we feel like it. There is not a spot anywhere in the country that has never been urinated on. I learned this from my dad as a boy and have kept it up ever since. There are some laws against it but no one cares.

4. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Well that is a funny one - but my zoo (Reid Park Zoo) has a similar themed rule sign that is maybe even funnier. Just over a year ago we opened a new Conservation Learning Center that uses environmentally-friendly construction, including the use of reclaimed water in the toilets. Because it is reclaimed water and not fresh tap water, they actually had to post a sign right above the toilet saying "Reclaimed water - do not drink!"

5. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

In truth - there does seem to be trend of small children being allowed to relieve themselves at the edge of pathways. I know it's hard with kids sometimes but I've seen some ridiculous ones - at West Mids last month there was a child, under the guard of its father, 'making use' of the tree opposite the toilet block in the car park. And I can guarantee that there were no queues in the block because I made use of that myself!

6. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There's a sign near the entrance that says it too -cracks me up every visit.

7. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Does that include the farthest reaches of Port Lympne? Because that's a long way from the nearest toilet :D

8. Baldur

Baldur Well-Known Member

In light of that urination is usually not the most memorable event of one's day (provided one did not get arrest for it) I might perhaps withdraw my statement that I have never urinated in public in a zoo in all those years. Never been to Port Lympne so I have ever urinated there, but I have the feeling now that this thread will change into one of hints and suggestions as to where one can urinate in various zoos at the least risk of being caught! :)

9. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

I am all for ZooChat dealing with each and every conceivable aspect of zoos and this particular thread is certainly pushing the envelope.... :p

10. Baldur

Baldur Well-Known Member

Considering what visitors do in and with zoos (littering on the grounds and harassing the animals perhaps being the worst) I cannot imagine a bit more water (urine is 95% water) doing any bad to the zoo grounds! ;)

11. EvilKittie

EvilKittie Well-Known Member

lol, atleast they dont have a sign saying "Please don't change your babies nappies in the middle of the paths. Please use the changing facalities." sometimes i feel they need it...

12. dean

dean Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was working today on a local country estate ( i normally only do the owners private garden rather than the public one) where they have well laid out grounds and a walled garden with a permanent marque for weddings etc.

One of the staff was telling me how he has to go around collecting used nappies and the amount of Poo people do when they get a bit drunk, despite the fact it has the best toilets I have ever seen.

Some people are less house trained than the animals we love to watch,
    part of the Urination thing is no doubt smell, if every one used the same bush it would stink to high heavens.:eek:

13. soozthecat

soozthecat Member

You may laugh but it is ridiculous how much people allow their children to urinate and defecate in zoos. Literally next to toilet blocks and even in tropical houses. Think its just disgusting, really winds me up!! Its not something you expect to deal with as a keeper!

14. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

I agree with that, the amount of times it happens when the nearest toilet is literally just round the corner!! Also they are not exactly discreet about it either, not a pleasant sight for fellow visitors passing by I would imagine.

15. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

I wonder if Iceland is starting to take on a strange shade of yellow of late??