Join our zoo community

Studbooks

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by katinakalinakaterina, 18 Mar 2019.

Tags:
  1. katinakalinakaterina

katinakalinakaterina Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I am a little confused regarding studbooks. Can any institution hold a studbook for any given species or do they have to currently hold that species or have held it in the past? I imagine that to hold a studbook a collection should have knowledge of that species through the management of that species at their facility, I would think they should also have experience breeding that species before they can hold a studbook. Does every species held in captivity have a studbook or is it only endangered animals (I am aware that zoos must keep up to date records of births, deaths and transfers but that is not the same as a studbook)? Finally what goes in to forming and maintaining a studbook?
    Also, if anyone knows what institutions hold what studbooks I would be very interested to know.

Off the top of my head I believe Twycross holds the studbook for Asiatic Lions (Panthera leo persicus) and Patagonian Sealions (Otaria byronia) neither of which they currently hold but have in the past (I am also unsure if they bred these in the past). Twycross also holds the studbooks for Siamangs (Symphalangus syndactylus) and Saddle-billed Storks (Ephippiorhynchus senegalensis), both of which I believe they hold currently and may? have bred.

Jambo likes this.
  2. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A zoo would have to hold and most likely breed the species to hold a studbook for them. ;) Some studbooks are made to cover every zoo in eg. the world or just Europe.

3. katinakalinakaterina

Right, studbook holders can change though, any idea why?

4. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Here is a studbook for Saimang’s from 2002:
    http://www.gibbons.de/main2/04zoogibbons/europ_siamang/euroreg_siamang2002.pdf

It is run by people from Tywcross zoo because they are probably familiar with Saimangs, and have bred and successfully kept them for quite some time.

Studbook holders can change if eg. Twycross no longer want to run the studbook, or if Twycross no longer hold Saimang.

5. katinakalinakaterina

I think the Frankfurt Zoological Garden manages the Gorilla studbook and has since the REP was created in 1987.

Jambo likes this.
  6. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I can only speak to what happens in the Australasian region but I believe other regions are similar.

1. The Zoo Aquarium Association (that is the Australasian region ZAA not the American ZAA) through internal processes which would include all holders of the species, decides a studbook is required.
    2. The ZAA calls for member zoos to apply to host the studbook.
    3. To qualify to host the zoo must have a member of staff qualified to be a studbook keeper willing to take it on, be willing to support that person in the role, and be a member of Species 360 (so they can access studbook software). If is not a requirement for them to hold the species however it would be unusual for them not to.
    4. If the hosting zoo no longer wants to or is unable to host the studbook, the ZAA advertises for a new host.

Zoos may run studbooks independently of the ZAA but this would only happen if they are the only or main holders of a species or deal mainly with non-members for that species.

When studbooks started they were occasionally associated with an individual but obviously this is unsatisfactory as people leave the zoo community, die etc. However occasionally a studbook will follow a studbook keeper to their new zoo.

Last edited: 18 Mar 2019
    Crowthorne and Jambo like this.
  7. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I note I did not answer the questions in the first post in my reply above, so here goes:

Firstly I should say that "studbook keeper" is now an obsolete term, as the studbook is only one (if not still the most important) tool in species management, so "species manager" is the term used now, at least in Australia. The species manager does not have to have even ever seen the species concerned. The laws of genetics apply to all species so the species manager will have to be trained in the software that is used for species management and also have a basic knowledge of genetics. They would also need to be aware of the basic breeding biology of the species, but that does not need to come from personal experience. Having said that most zoos and individuals taking on the management of a species do so because they have some connection to the species.

Only those species that zoos want to have in their collections over a number of generations are managed. That might be because they are endangered, but it might also be because they are popular and cannot be obtained any other way. Having said that in Australia at least there are not enough species managers for the number of species that should be managed, so many species go unmanaged.

Correct that is not a studbook as all that information has to be compiled into a central resource. In addition the manager will have to analyze the data to arrange matings and transfers to maximise the genetic diversity of the population.

Initially collecting data relating to the ancestry of all individuals currently in the program and entering that into the studbook, which these days will almost certainly be a computer program. This can be a long and tedious process pouring over old and often incomplete records. After it is established maintenance involves entering, as implied above, births, deaths and transfers. This can also be tedious if dealing with smaller zoos that lack adequate record keeping systems, or simply don't bother answering emails or returning phone calls. The good news is that information regarding births, deaths and transfers entered into the ZIMS record keeping system will automatically update studbooks, at least after all studbooks are transferred to the new system. This will at least cover the 1,100 plus zoo members worldwide of Species360.

Any other queries feel free to ask.

8. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Twycross no longer hold the European studbook for Asian Lions. The programme is currently managed by a person at Aalborg Zoo in Denmark. I think it changed hands about 4 or 5 years ago

Jambo likes this.
  9. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hi everyone, I did a little studbook work this summer whilst at Blackpool Zoo, so feel as though I could contribute to this.

I helped to write the 2017 yearly species studbook review for:
    - Scaly-Sided Mergansers
    - Long-nosed Potoroo
    - Ground cuscus

I believe that if a keeper leaves, sometimes the studbook will stay at the zoo, or sometimes it will go with them; especially if they have an expertise in the species.

Blackpool no longer held the mergansers, but still ran the studbook.

If anyone has any questions as to what I was doing - fire away!