Join our zoo community

study

Discussion in 'Australia' started by mostpeopleiknow, 25 Oct 2015.

1. mostpeopleiknow

mostpeopleiknow Member

Hi all. I am wondering if anyone has studied the "advanced certificate in zookeeping" offered by the correspondence school ACS. From what i can see, it looks quite good.. comparable to "certificate III in captive animals". I have been out of the industry for about ten years raising my children and feel it will be hard for me to get back in (i had not quite finished the old zookeeping certificate which has now changed to captive animals certificate III). the ACS course would be easier for me to do while i still have kids at home so as i can be ready to work once my youngest starts school. but is it recognised? has anyone done it? is it worthwhile? (it costs about $4000). I would love do do a science degree but i think it will take me too long....

2. mostpeopleiknow

mostpeopleiknow Member

i see 40 people have looked at this but no - one has responded...
    what sort of courses have you done and enjoyed?

3. Rough

Rough Well-Known Member

I think your best best would be the tried and tested certificate III in captives, its accepted Australia wide and seen as the industry standard that every keeper must have. The qualification must conform to the AQF otherwise your going to waste $4000 on a course that I don't think any zoo would recognize as being sufficient, and from the small amount of research I did I do not think it complies with the AQF.

Edit: That company are not recognized in the AQF and not recognized as a RTO.

4. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member

Richmond TAFE in NSW has an online course that may suit you better, and would probably recognise your pre learning and experience. All our staff do their Cert. 3 there and we have been very happy with it.

5. mostpeopleiknow

mostpeopleiknow Member

thankyou. this is exactly the kind of answer i was after. i was hoping that the advanced certificate of zookeeping would be recognised but am very glad to know that it is not now rather than later :)
    i will absolutely look at richmond tafe.
    i could do it through box hill (which is where i started the old certificate of zookeeping years ago) but at this point i am unable to do the required 8 hours per week. i could in a couple of years when my youngest starts school, but i am eager to start something now.
    thanks for you help.
    if anyone else has something to add, i'd still love to hear :)

6. mostpeopleiknow

mostpeopleiknow Member

actually, i just read the requirements for the richmond tafe cert III and i also need to be employed or volunteering for more hours than i would be able next year. open colleges offers cert III in captive animals. i have spoken to them and would be able to do the required hours as it is only one day per month or i could do a block of 10 days (something like that) which is do-able for me around the kids. how do i find out if the open colleges certificate is recognised? it does look very similar to the one that box hill offer..... but again would cost $4000

7. soona

soona Well-Known Member

I'm enrolled in Certificate III through Open Colleges. It is done in partnership with North Coast TAFE and is recognised as the same as doing it through TAFE.

8. mostpeopleiknow

mostpeopleiknow Member

thankyou soona :) i might do that. i spoke to them on the phone and the man was very helpful