Join our zoo community

Sudan the Northern White Rhino's Health

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by savethelephant, 1 Mar 2018.

1. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

2. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

This really is the saddest news :( .

3. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I can’t believe it’s actually happening:(

4. Elephant Enthusiast

Elephant Enthusiast Well-Known Member

It would be absolutely devastating if Sudan were to pass away. Understandably, Sudan is nearing the end of his lifespan but accepting that reality is difficult.

I've had a fascination for the Northern White Rhino ever since I learned about the mission to save the species. The demise of the Northern White Rhino in the wild is quite tragic but the commitment to saving the Northern White Rhino is very uplifting. I sincerely believe that science through In Vitro Fertilization will save the Northern White Rhino and any advances in the scientific research are going to have a significant impact on the species. The documentaries Last Chance to See: Return of the Rhino and Nature: The Last Rhino are undoubtedly my favorite nature documentaries as they demonstrate the dedication to preserving Earth's magnificent creatures.

My passion for this amazing creature will never diminish and I truly hope the Northern White Rhino will be saved.

JVM and Loxodonta Cobra like this.
  5. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

I am somewhat perplexed by the attention that the NWR receives in the media compared to other rhinoceros taxa. Despite the common misconception (seen in elephant enthusiasts post above), the NWR is not a species of rhino. It is a subspecies: a local variant of the world's most common rhinoceros species (which is admittedly not saying much). Sadly, rhino subspecies have been and continue to go extinct quite regularly.

The last Indochinese Javan rhinoceros was killed in 2010
    The western black rhinoceros was declared extinct in 2011
    The bornean sumatran rhinoceros is currently in an almost identical situation to the NWR. In fact its slightly worse off for the 2nd last female died just a few month ago..

And yet none of these stories are widely reported by the media. But the value of these taxa is no less than that of the NWR.

Meanwhile two genuine rhinoceros species are on the absolute brink of extinction in Indonesia. One of which represents also completely unique and distinct genera!

Losing any taxa is devastating. But in a world in the midst of an extinction epidemic I would rate the extinction of the Sumatran and Javan rhinoceros as far, far, far more concerning.

And yet the media continues under-report on the plight of these almost-extinct species and misinform of the issues when they do.

As we watch the NWR slip into inevitable extinction, let it remind us of the importance of intervention. And that complacency never gets us anywhere. I so very hope someone can convince the Indonesian government to do something soon.

Last edited: 5 Mar 2018
    Birdsage, Buldeo, Kakapo and 3 others like this.
  6. Elephant Enthusiast

Elephant Enthusiast Well-Known Member

I fully agree with you toothlessjaws, the Northern White Rhino has recieved way more publicity than that of many other rhinoceros taxa. In addition, I was wrong to label the Northern White Rhino as a species when in fact it's a subspecies.

It's very unfortunate that other rhinoceros taxa have gone extinct with little to no publication yet the Northern White Rhino recieves all the spotlight. Interestingly, the Northern White Rhino was in the same situation as Sumatran and Javan Rhinoceros no less than two decades ago. Despite efforts to conserve the last of the wild Northern White Rhinos, poachers managed to wipe out the remaining wild population. It wasn't until the media started reporting about Sudan being the last male Northern White Rhino that the world started paying attention. I find it absolutely disheartening that we as humanity don't take action till it's too late. Far too many species from amphibians to mammals are becoming extinct yet little to nothing is done to reverse it.

I fully agree that the Indonesian government needs to come to the realization that nothing is going to change unless intervention is taken. The Sumatran and Javan Rhinoceros have the same significance as the Northern White Rhino and any other species for that matter. Just because the plight of these rhinoceros are not well known, doesn't mean that we should give up. Ultimately, action needs to be taken, by both the Indonesian government and the world, immediately to save these critically endangered rhinos.

Our sorrow for what happened in the past should not prevent us, the world as a whole, from rectifying those mistakes and demonstrating to future generations that change can go a long way.

7. Mehdi

Mehdi Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Depends on which taxonomy you follow, many people consider Northern white rhinos as being a separate species.

8. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I agree that there is some debate about whether the northern white rhino is a separate species. When it was held in London Zoo, it was just described as a white rhino and I regret not taking more interest in it. I was far more keen to see a Sumatran rhino (since achieved) or a Javan rhino (unlikely).

Does anyone know if sperm is being extracted from Sunda?

Mehdi likes this.
  9. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There are both eggs and sperm from multiple animals being preserved, so the artificial way is possible but it´s very expensive.

10. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Isn't the number of Bornean Rhinos uncertain as one was found wild rather recently? Also isn't it possible there is some rhinos in the jungles of northern Burma or something?

11. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

The Northern White Rhino was split as a full species in 2010, based on morphology and genetics. A separation date between the two white rhinos (Southern and Northern) was estimated at a million years using the genetic results. It's not a "misconception" that Northern White Rhinos are a species instead of a subspecies, it is a difference in taxonomic opinion.

JVM, Batto, d1am0ndback and 2 others like this.
  12. toothlessjaws

I wonder then, what was the original geographic boundary between the two "species"?

13. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They were separated by about 2000 km, between Uganda and the Zambezi river, in which no White rhino have occurred in recent times (there are cave paintings of 34000 years old in Tanzania of White rhino). It is quite safe to assume that they were separated by the Miombo woodland band spanning Southern Tanzania and Zambia, which is a common boundary for species (see Steenbok and Black-backed jackal for example).

toothlessjaws likes this.
  14. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As sad and harsh as it may sound, but this has to be expected. "Sudan" is 45 years old; that's a respectable age for a rhino, and no one can expect him to live forever.

The increased media coverage might be responsible for the rise in popularity of the Northern white rhinos especially in the last few years. Back when they were still housed at Dvůr Králové Zoo and it was assumed that a few were still left in the wild, visitors just walked by. Now, with the final disappearance closeby, people start to grieve for them.

15. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

When Zoo Check was launched, one of its aims was to close down London Zoo. When the zoo was threatened with closure from 1990-2, somebody claimed to see Virginia McKenna standing outside the zoo. She was crying because of what might happen to the animals if the zoo closed.

JVM likes this.
  16. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

The saddest part by far for me is the mention that attempts to save the species would be possible if the necessary funding was available.

17. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The impending extinction of the NWR makes a better media story. The facts are fully known, the individuals are elderly and have been relocated back to Africa etc, and there are just the three left (as far as we know of course). 'Just three left on the earth' is a more impactful story for media attention than the more uncertain numbers/population estimates for the Sumatran and Javan species. Despite its very close affinity with the SWR which rarely gets a mention as it dilutes the dramatic impact obviously. I agree that the Sumatran's fate in particular( the Javan has a small but relatively stable population by comparison) is in many ways far more catastrophic than the NWR's, but its recent history- at least at present, is not quite so easy for the public to identify with perhaps.

Last edited: 6 Mar 2018
    Brum, FunkyGibbon and Swampy like this.
  18. toothlessjaws

I think for me its that a zoo was ultimately responsible for the final nail in the coffin. I think its really important to remember the failings of Dvur Kralove here. Total complacency and their own ego is surely the only reason they would have held on to the last group for decades despite the fact that they were having next to zero success in increasing the population. Had this zoo parted with their rhinos a decade earlier, the media might well be reporting on the slow recovery of the NWR, not their imminent extinction.

19. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think that is quite unfair, the zoo has collected the remaining NWR in Europe and has bred them several times. Where should they have gone according to you? Dvur Kralove is one of the most prolific breeders of Black rhino worldwide, so husbandrywise they are not stupid. More blame would go to San Diego who clung on to their one pair....

Batto likes this.
  20. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

No zoo is responsible for the decline in the wild populations of an animal that brought us to this point in the first place.

It's completely reasonable to decry that more was not done sooner to save a particular animal from extinction, but I think it's also important to recognize that these stories of endlings, these final members of their group, still deserve the coverage they do receive because they provide important reminders to the casual public that extinction is an ongoing risk for creatures still alive today, not a term reserved for dinosaurs and dodo well outside of living memory. Whether or not Lonesome George or Toughie or Sudan change the reality for those like them, they still acted as ambassadors for wildlife conservation.

None of that changes that this is still a horrific loss for science.

God, it's annoying to avoid the term 'species'.

Mehdi, Crowthorne and Swampy like this.